Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

BitTorrent - most file-sharers are monitored

not unless you are a leeching bastard!

Even if your a leeching bastard your ip address is still being recorded by the person your downloading off. Even if you disable uploads in your client they still have all the evidence they need to prosecute you for distributing the material.

Even if your a leeching bastard your ip address is still being recorded by the person your downloading off. Even if you disable uploads in your client they still have all the evidence they need to prosecute you for distributing the material.

Not according to solicitors they dont.

I think you would have to be downloading/uploading quite a lot of data to stand any chance of being prosecuted, The thing is though they are dealing with the problem backwards once again and if the Police or whoever is in charge had any sense then they would go to the root of the problem straight away which is the big hosting companys allowing for this to happen.

either way though they will never stop it compeltely as you will always have private servers which they can't locate but they could put a major dent in the industry. It's like that Youtube convertor/downloader its still working and is the most easiest way to download music yet they haven't managed to bring it down that would cut out a big percentage of music downloads, but then I guess the next program will be along in no time. So like I say they will never stop it which is why they come after the small timers, although they did bust some big hosting companies a few months back (filehost etc.) but it hasn't made any difference as new ones have opened and the cycle continues.

Solution: Shut down the internet and get back to Real Life.

Ive got a funny feeling alot of people on here are using them and not understanding the risks. Its ok coming on here and saying 'oh i think you'd have to download alot to get prosecuted' but thats simply not the case at all. Record and film companies post links on torrent sites themselves to entrap people, this is how people actually get caught. The instant you download anything they have seeded your guilty, they have your ip address and can easily get the rest of your information off your service provider. You could download one mp3 or 500 films and all it takes is to download on thing off these entrapment seeds and your screwed, and the sheer nature of torrents means your also guilty for distributing it.

I have a pc in my lounge which a friend brought round, set up on my WiFi and has left there. Lots of people use it. I sometimes have house parties where 50 people might use it. Probably 200 people have used it in total. Are they going to prosecute me if it turns out that someone has downloaded illegally into that computer?

I have a pc in my lounge which a friend brought round, set up on my WiFi and has left there. Lots of people use it. I sometimes have house parties where 50 people might use it. Probably 200 people have used it in total. Are they going to prosecute me if it turns out that someone has downloaded illegally into that computer?

You're responsible, so yeah.

Same as if you drive your mates car and something goes wrong. His car but the driver is the one that, ultimately, takes responsibility.

You're responsible, so yeah.

Same as if you drive your mates car and something goes wrong. His car but the driver is the one that, ultimately, takes responsibility.

Where does it become my responsibility? Allowing people to use my WiFi? What if I gave the password to someone who used to legitimately live here and therefore I gave him the password, and he then gave the password out before leaving the country forever and since then people have been using my WiFi without me knowing?

Where does it become my responsibility? Allowing people to use my WiFi? What if I gave the password to someone who used to legitimately live here and therefore I gave him the password, and he then gave the password out before leaving the country forever and since then people have been using my WiFi without me knowing?

Its your internet connection, you are responsible for whats downloaded on it. The excuse of 'somebody hopped on my wifi and downloaded stuff' dosnt work, trust me

I can't see how you could charge the person who is signed up to the connection unless you specifically state that only named parties are allowed to use it, which ISP's don't.. What about student houses where you might have 10 people or more using the same WiFi which is registered to one person?

Surely they have to be able to place a specific person on a specific device at the time when something was downloaded?

Yes it does, trust me.

Well i know somebody who tried that one and ended up getting shafted on fines that they are still paying off to this day. Im not saying some people might not get away with it, but the vast majority dont.

I can't see how you could charge the person who is signed up to the connection unless you specifically state that only named parties are allowed to use it, which ISP's don't.. What about student houses where you might have 10 people or more using the same WiFi which is registered to one person?

Surely they have to be able to place a specific person on a specific device at the time when something was downloaded?

Thats why your mac address is sent to your isp every time you connect, your mac address is hard coded onto the network card in your pc.

Who keeps a computer in their house that they dont own? The computer belongs to somebody, whoever that person is, is liable for letting any old random use it

So they would have to prove ownership? Then you would just say it was given as a gift for the whole house to share. Doesn't matter if that kind of thing rarely happens, if it's plausible then I don't see how an individual can be pinned down.

The blame would probably then be passed on to whoevers name the internet connection was taken out on. Somebody would have to be to blame for it if it got taken to court, and i'm pretty sure somebodys not just going to take the flak for something that wasnt their fault. Your basically saying you'd grass someone else up to possibly get yourself out of it.

In the case you've put forward everybody in the house would be liable, and i'm pretty sure it wouldnt take that long for the blame to be pinned on the culprits head when everybody in the house has a £30,000 fine to pay. It's not like you've ever heard the police say 'oh we've got too many suspects, lets just leave it'

I'm not saying I would grass on anybody. I'm just wondering how a charge would be pinned on an individual if everybody denies responsibility. As far as I'm aware, we are innocent until proven guilty, so if they can't actually prove I actively downloaded illegally then they can't charge me. They could threaten to charge everyone, but that goes back to what I said earlier about having a pc in my house used by 200 people some of whom I don't even know. Who are they going to charge then?

I'm not saying I would grass on anybody. I'm just wondering how a charge would be pinned on an individual if everybody denies responsibility. As far as I'm aware, we are innocent until proven guilty, so if they can't actually prove I actively downloaded illegally then they can't charge me. They could threaten to charge everyone, but that goes back to what I said earlier about having a pc in my house used by 200 people some of whom I don't even know. Who are they going to charge then?

Ultimatly, the person who pays for the internet connection is responsible. They would be the person the intent to fine would be sent to, itd be up to them to either admit it, or tell them who else it might be. If nobody can be found responsible, itd be the person who owns the connection who would bare the brunt of the fine. They are the one letting people use it at the end of the day.

Well i know somebody who tried that one and ended up getting shafted on fines that they are still paying off to this day. Im not saying some people might not get away with it, but the vast majority dont.

Who?

What was the charge?

What did he get convicted of?

When?

In which country?

What stats are you referring to for the results of court cases?

Who?

What was the charge?

When?

In which country?

Somebody i know's kid downloaded a bunch of illegal music, in the end he ended up getting shafted by some american record company and got a fine in the tens of thousands. The excuse that he wasnt aware of the fact that his kid had downloaded the music didnt rub off in court.

Somebody i know's kid downloaded a bunch of illegal music, in the end he ended up getting shafted by some american record company and got a fine in the tens of thousands. The excuse that he wasnt aware of the fact that his kid had downloaded the music didnt rub off in court.

Still not making it any easier to check out in court records - so:

Who?

What was the charge?

When?

In which country?

Not many people at all have been taken to court as most of the action has been subcontracted out to a firm who had no authority to fine or take action against anyone.

Still not making it any easier to check out in court records - so:

Who?

What was the charge?

When?

In which country?

I dont really feel comfortable giving somebody elses personal information over the internet to somebody i dont know to be honest. All im saying is i know somebody who has been done for this, take it how you like but ive got no reason to lie about it.

I dont really feel comfortable giving somebody elses personal information over the internet to somebody i dont know to be honest. All im saying is i know somebody who has been done for this, take it how you like but ive got no reason to lie about it.

If they've been prosecuted in court there will be a related news article.

Archived