Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Tablet or Net/Notebook

My laptop's on it's last legs and i need to replace it

Any views on the advantages/ disadvantages of an Android Tablet (can't afford an Apple) or a netbook?

I Have a desktop pc so I generally only use it for web access and downloading stuff off the tv using a 'grabbit tool' I'm not sure if that will work on Windows 7. Mind you I'm not sure there's a way of recording stuff off the TV using a tablet either.

I've had a look on the web but can't get a handle on the significant differences / benefits of either option.

I'd really like to limit my spend to between £250 and £300 if that's possible.

Cheers

I can't yet vouch for an Android Tablet. My girlfriend got an Eee Pad in January after rave reviews, but it's just horrible. I'm afraid I'll never warm to touchpads and the keyboard dock is subpar. Android Honeycomb itself is massively annoying and frustrating which means you'll have to spend time adapting to it. Whether or not there are models out there which are far superior to the Eee Pad, I don't know, but I highly doubt it. Go for a netbook!

The ipad is still the best tablet out there but it is expensive. Samsung's Note 10.1 2 isn't far behind nor is the Google Nexus 7 but neither are quite there yet. There are rumours fo a mini, cheaper ipad for next month but nothing confirmed. For 300 quid you can get a netbook which is suitable for surfing the net and doing work on but not much more.

What will you be using it for?

If it's for work (eg. lots of typing needed) I'd go for a netbook. If it was for general quick Internet use, entertainment purposes, I'd opt for a tablet.

Or a tablet with a wireless keyboard!

thanks for the replies everyone, still undecided but edging towards a tablet if I can fathom out which is the most appropriate for me.

Mostly for internet use, the only typing will be on forums like this as I still have my desktop.

How do you know if a tablet is suitable to use with a wireless keyboard, an is it any wireless keyboard?

One of the things that bothers me about android is the upgrading, i have a Sony Ericsson Xperia 10 and about 3 months after I bought it they announced they were no longer going to 'maintain/improve' Android 2.1 and as far as I know you can't replace it newer versions unlike windows.

thanks for the replies everyone, still undecided but edging towards a tablet if I can fathom out which is the most appropriate for me.

Mostly for internet use, the only typing will be on forums like this as I still have my desktop.

How do you know if a tablet is suitable to use with a wireless keyboard, an is it any wireless keyboard?

One of the things that bothers me about android is the upgrading, i have a Sony Ericsson Xperia 10 and about 3 months after I bought it they announced they were no longer going to 'maintain/improve' Android 2.1 and as far as I know you can't replace it newer versions unlike windows.

Any wireless keyboards should work they tend to just connect via Bluetooth.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at buying a tablet for someone for Xmas,an IPad is out of the question because of the price. What are the basic, cheap android tablets like? Will it be worth paying a bit extra for a Kindle fire?

Archived