Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Safe Standing - Support the Early Day motion

Plus this whole debate about SAFE standing annoys me, normal terraces are safe as long as they are managed right! A disaster would never happen at any ground where the entrance to the terrace is at the bottom of the stand instead of the top, that's just common sense to me. It's just so obvious that the guys pulling the strings in parliament have no idea what it's like being a normal football fan today.

Edited by AndWhat?

Politicians on the whole are a bunch of pricks that swan about westminster talking about fancy holidays,expensive wine a generally doing f all.They couldn't give a toss about a small minority of football fans wanting to stand at football.Even if these same fans pay tax and are ultimately keeping them in there overpaid jobs.I seriously wouldn't piss on one if they were on fire.What I'm trying to say is I wouldn't hold my breath on this issue.

Plus this whole debate about SAFE standing annoys me, normal terraces are safe as long as they are managed right! A disaster would never happen at any ground where the entrance to the terrace is at the bottom of the stand instead of the top, that's just common sense to me. It's just so obvious that the guys pulling the strings in parliament have no idea what it's like being a normal football fan today.

The vast majority have never been in and amongst it. A problem that happens so often in this country I find (and I include far more than football in this) is the wrong people are making certain decisions due to them having no actual experience in it.

If we ever trialed safe standing I'd like to hope we invited the directors/whoever's calling the shots to come and join us to show them what it's really all about. They cannot turn their noses up at that.

The vast majority have never been in and amongst it. A problem that happens so often in this country I find (and I include far more than football in this) is the wrong people are making certain decisions due to them having no actual experience in it.

If we ever trialed safe standing I'd like to hope we invited the directors/whoever's calling the shots to come and join us to show them what it's really all about. They cannot turn their noses up at that.

The thing that frustrates me most is that those from the Hillsborough Campaign won't even consider it simply because it's standing. I know it must bring back painful memories, but it wasn't standing that killed people that day, it was sheer and utter incompetence from the authorities involved that allowed the situation to unfold. And now, we're letting emotion get in the way of the hard evidence which states that this is undoubtedly the safest possible system. A tragedy like Hillsborough would never happen if this system was in place. It's a lot safer than the current system where people stand in front seats, which is an accidenct waiting to happen.

The thing that frustrates me most is that those from the Hillsborough Campaign won't even consider it simply because it's standing. I know it must bring back painful memories, but it wasn't standing that killed people that day, it was sheer and utter incompetence from the authorities involved that allowed the situation to unfold. And now, we're letting emotion get in the way of the hard evidence which states that this is undoubtedly the safest possible system. A tragedy like Hillsborough would never happen if this system was in place. It's a lot safer than the current system where people stand in front seats, which is an accidenct waiting to happen.

Liverpool fans stand away from home as well.

I've never understood it. It's absolute insanity.

Liverpool fans stand away from home as well.

I've never understood it. It's absolute insanity.

They do but Livepool standers seem to have dropped whilst other clubs standers (at home) have increased.

We really need some SPL team to introduce it then maybe the EPL might have a change of heart.

Edited by purpleronnie

They do but Livepool standers seem to have dropped whilst other clubs standers (at home) have increased.

We really need some SPL team to introduce it then maybe the EPL might have a change of heart.

Problem is if Celtic introduce it their fans will behave like twats and it will banned before you can say 'maybe we'll have more luck at Millwall'.

The tools at Celtic could actually be counterproductive because the press will swarm all over any trouble that is probably irrelevant to safe standing.

Which is probably a reason why they will let Celtic trial it, so they can say 'see, this is what will happen if you let people stand up'

Is that a fvcking piss take?

Could they have possibly missed the point any more?

I am utterly sick of the amount of idiots who are completely out of touch with the reality of this. WE. DID. NOT. WANT. SAFE. STANDING. TO. FEEL. EXTRA. SAFE. WE. WANTED. IT. BECAUSE. WE. WANT. TO. STAND.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 3

Makes my blood boil more than anything else in sport, I think.

If I had the time and the patience I could pick apart every single sentence that that intolerable disabled has said in her response. How the fvck has she got to where she is without listening? FOR FVCK SAKE.

I can't read all that cause I'm at work and I only quickly clicked on it but does the first guy say he doesn't want safe standing he wants safer seating to stand in front of??

That makes no sense what so ever.

Ok bare with me here......

This is how that seems in my head:

Sitting down at football 100% safe

SAFE standing 80 % safe

Standing in front of your seat 60% safe

Old style terrace 40% safe

How the **** is standing in front of a 'safer' seat better than safe standing????

This topic genuinely makes my blood boil.

Edited by AndWhat?

I am just amazed by the shit they spout. My cynical logic is that they're doing all they can to drive any potential standers from the game and they're not interested in any co-operation.

They're a bunch of pricks with no interest in the game and therefore shouldn't be making the decisions.

:doh:

Wish I hadn't clicked through to the SGSA statement re: standing, a depressing read and there's a whole army of bureaucrats and vested interests (money men) determined to destroy standing for ever.

I live in eternal hope that one day society will wake up from this liberty free slumber that allows jumped up nobodies to dictate if I can stand at a football match.

Bad things have happened in football grounds but rudimentary mathematics confirms that you're more likely to win the lottery than die on a terrace, in fact on a safe standing terrace, you're more likely to witness Leicester dominating European football for a decade than die in a standing related incident.

Edited by Lobsterboyuk

I can't read all that cause I'm at work and I only quickly clicked on it but does the first guy say he doesn't want safe standing he wants safer seating to stand in front of??

That makes no sense what so ever.

Ok bare with me here......

This is how that seems in my head:

Sitting down at football 100% safe

SAFE standing 80 % safe

Standing in front of your seat 60% safe

Old style terrace 40% safe

How the **** is standing in front of a 'safer' seat better than safe standing????

This topic genuinely makes my blood boil.

To be fair I think he's argued the point well. The only reason he's suggesting 'safer seats' - ie rail seats - is that it's a slightly different take on it and any use of the word 'standing' seems to scare the living daylights out of politicians.

Is that a fvcking piss take?

Could they have possibly missed the point any more?

I am utterly sick of the amount of idiots who are completely out of touch with the reality of this. WE. DID. NOT. WANT. SAFE. STANDING. TO. FEEL. EXTRA. SAFE. WE. WANTED. IT. BECAUSE. WE. WANT. TO. STAND.

I will start my saying that I am fully in favour of the re-introduction of standing at football grounds not because I myself wish to stand particularly,  but because I recognise that plenty of fans do.    However if any progress is to be made campaigners need to understand that politicians will need to be persuaded that not only can standing be safe but that it would at the least not hinder security (i.e. not an aid to those that wish to cause trouble).  As it they that will get the blame from the voting public if its re-introduction  was to lead us back to the dark days of 70's/80's style hooliganism.  

I will start my saying that I am fully in favour of the re-introduction of standing at football grounds not because I myself wish to stand particularly, but because I recognise that plenty of fans do. However if any progress is to be made campaigners need to understand that politicians will need to be persuaded that not only can standing be safe but that it would at the least not hinder security (i.e. not an aid to those that wish to cause trouble). As it they that will get the blame from the voting public if its re-introduction was to lead us back to the dark days of 70's/80's style hooliganism.

Then they should come out and say that instead of focusing on safety.

We will get no where if the guys making the decisions refuse to listen to the obvious flaws in their safety argument.

Then we can concentrate on squashing that part if the argument.

I will start my saying that I am fully in favour of the re-introduction of standing at football grounds not because I myself wish to stand particularly,  but because I recognise that plenty of fans do.    However if any progress is to be made campaigners need to understand that politicians will need to be persuaded that not only can standing be safe but that it would at the least not hinder security (i.e. not an aid to those that wish to cause trouble).  As it they that will get the blame from the voting public if its re-introduction  was to lead us back to the dark days of 70's/80's style hooliganism.  

Trouble makers will cause trouble if they're sat down or if they're stood up. That West Midlands police officer absolutely nailed it with his argument.

I'm sorry but these politicians who are against it are doing it because of plain ignorance and nothing else. There is not a single proper argument against it.

Then they should come out and say that instead of focusing on safety.

We will get no where if the guys making the decisions refuse to listen to the obvious flaws in their safety argument.

Then we can concentrate on squashing that part if the argument.

Though I accept you have to read between the lines a little to understand what "security" means it is clearly raised as a concern in the debate,  particularly for the police.

But I was trying to point out to the poster that it is no good just telling politicians it must happen because we want it,  if public concerns are not met.

Seating isn't all that much safer and as comfortable. Palace and QPR have such little leg-room that it is more comfortable to stand, and more practical.

They don't want us to stand in safe areas but are quite happy to allow seats to be in use with little room to move in and rows where you can barely get past people because it's "safer".

I'd like these people against it to try and sit comfortably in a cramped space for 90 minutes, but it doesn't matter to them because they either don't go or get the plush seats in the corporate area.

Edited by Corky