Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Safe Standing - Support the Early Day motion

I think clubs like Leicester will get the opportunity to change back to standing. I hope fans get a choice because it is safe and it makes the game much more enjoyable and atmospheric. Sadly of all clubs we will never get that opportunity to re-introduce it. And that's despite the number of Liverpool fans that stand at home and away fixtures currently in seated areas.

Indeed, it'd be a brave man who decided to introduce standing to Hillsborough again. Short of a wholesale redevelopment, which would be a tragedy for one of the most beautifully unique grounds I've ever visited, it's never going to happen.

The frustration is that I think the average Liverpool fan who follows their team up and down the country would love German style safe standing, but it's the HJC who are the media darlings and they would kick up an almighty stink if anyone suggested bringing back standing at Anfield. 

I find that bizarre myself, they of all people should know what did and didn't cause the Hillsborough Disaster.

• Like 2

As someone who has only been to seated stadia (except for Peterborough  away the other season where there seemed to be some issue with people filling the standing end) can someone descriptively tell me how standing at a match makes a difference? I'm genuinely interested to know because other than away games I cant say i've experienced it.

* Oh, and if the answer is simple "it makes the atmosphere better" I'd like to know how...

As someone who has only been to seated stadia (except for Peterborough away the other season where there seemed to be some issue with people filling the standing end) can someone descriptively tell me how standing at a match makes a difference? I'm genuinely interested to know because other than away games I cant say i've experienced it.

* Oh, and if the answer is simple "it makes the atmosphere better" I'd like to know how...

Easier for like minded groups of fans to congregate together to make noise.

I was against safe standing initially.

However having studied it's use in other countries and also understood it will be an option within certain areas then I think it does no harm so why not?

My only concern would be if there was no option to sit at away matches anymore, that would be a physical problem for me and some others I'd imagine.

However having studied it's use in other countries and also understood it will be an option within certain areas then I think it does no harm so why not?

My only concern would be if there was no option to sit at away matches anymore, that would be a physical problem for me and some others I'd imagine.

Good man for turning your opinion around!

If done properly, managing the away allocation is better, want to stand then buy a safe standing ticket else buy a seat. Stand having bought a seat ticket and you get ejected. Much better arrangement than the current situation.

In Germany, every single ground has both seats and terrace for away fans.

No reason why they can't do the same here.

Edited by AndWhat?

Even if a whole away stand was fitted with rail seating it would be simple enough to allocate a number of the bottom rows for seating only. They would also have the added benefit of having a rail in front that infirmed people could use to pull themselves up.

• Like 2

If people started calling it rail seating instead of safe standing, they might get somewhere with this.

As daft as it sounds you may be onto something there.

In Germany, every single ground has both seats and terrace for away fans.

No reason why they can't do the same here.

The main reason is common sense.

The Premier League's attitude towards it is absolutely pitiful.

If people started calling it rail seating instead of safe standing, they might get somewhere with this.

Perhaps...but given that the whole point of the campaign is to allow people to stand up during matches, calling it 'rail seating' is surely rather disingenuous too, right?

Still, this consultation looks like a decent step forward. Of course, not being a public authority means that LCFC will be under no obligation to publish their official response in full, and are immune to Freedom of Information requests from fans.

So the big question is...will we ever find out exactly what the club tells the Football League?

Perhaps...but given that the whole point of the campaign is to allow people to stand up during matches, calling it 'rail seating' is surely rather disingenuous too, right?

Still, this consultation looks like a decent step forward. Of course, not being a public authority means that LCFC will be under no obligation to publish their official response in full, and are immune to Freedom of Information requests from fans.

So the big question is...will we ever find out exactly what the club tells the Football League?

That's true, but if i described the petrol tank in your car as a potential bomb situated no less then 10 feet away from a device designed to explode the liquid contained within, you would think twice before you started your car up, even though you know its 99% safe. The reason i say this is because the main person you are trying to campaign and convince, Mrs Aspinell, is totally against any form of standing, be it safe or unsafe, in football grounds.

Edited by yorkie1999

That's true, but if i described the petrol tank in your car as a potential bomb situated no less then 10 feet away from a device designed to explode the liquid contained within, you would think twice before you started your car up, even though you know its 99% safe. The reason i say this is because the main person you are trying to campaign and convince, Mrs Aspinell, is totally against any form of standing, be it safe or unsafe, in football grounds.

It's unfortunate that her opinion counts for so much given it is largely ignorant and completely irrelevant.

As has been mentioned Stan Collymore is debating the issue on TalkSport this evening. Plenty on here (including myself) support and back the notion, I've tweeted him already with my support on it, might be worth tweeting him or getting involved with the debate on the show. There has been plenty of good and well put opinions been put forward already in this thread by others, so it's worth doing. Good to see Stan opening the issue up for debate and getting it out there. Though already, there's plenty of ignorance being shown on the issue, would be nice to get as many people outlining the cause and showing the flaws in the critics' arguments heard as possible.

Just wanted to bang my head against the wall with some of those Tweets to Collymore.

"As a Liverpool fan..." etc.

It's not an excuse for ignorance. Smacks of those who want to be a Scouse superfan but don't really have a clue. Liverpool fans stand home and away in far less safe circumstances than rail seating would provide.

This issue gets bigger and bigger every month. Great to see it discussed on popular radio stations and in other national news sources. Very pleased with how quickly the movement has progressed.

It's been talked and written about for a few years, it seems to come up in the media every so often and then goes away, nothing changes or even looks like changing.  I still see the SPL introducing safe standing as a gateway to any change that might happen here.

Just wanted to bang my head against the wall with some of those Tweets to Collymore.

"As a Liverpool fan..." etc.

It's not an excuse for ignorance. Smacks of those who want to be a Scouse superfan but don't really have a clue. Liverpool fans stand home and away in far less safe circumstances than rail seating would provide.

If Liverpool and their fans do not want it that is absolutely fine, not a problem with that. But it should not stop things being trialled elsewhere. It's about choice, clubs and supporters should have the choice to decide whether normal or rail seating is best suited to areas of the ground.

If Liverpool and their fans do not want it that is absolutely fine, not a problem with that. But it should not stop things being trialled elsewhere. It's about choice, clubs and supporters should have the choice to decide whether normal or rail seating is best suited to areas of the ground.

Absolutely. I just think their stance is hypocritical, that's all. They got "the truth", and that was that standing in itself didn't cause the Hillsborough disaster.

By not supporting progress they're alienating themselves in a past they fought so hard to eradicate.

• Like 4

Absolutely. I just think their stance is hypocritical, that's all. They got "the truth", and that was that standing in itself didn't cause the Hillsborough disaster.

By not supporting progress they're alienating themselves in a past they fought so hard to eradicate.

yep. they are actually supporting the agenda of the people who get their fellow supporters killed.

Some of the people who Stan was retweeting are absolutely clueless and clearly know nothing about safe standing, they just see the word 'standing' in isolation and think that standing kills people.

"@Swanky17: I am now unfollowing @StanCollymore after his tweet saying there are "no cons" to having standing at football stadia - what a ****!"

It's almost laughable.

Definitely a step forward if it is allowed at Football League grounds. But it will need the Premier League to vote in favour too for Leicester  - and other Championship clubs with PL aspirations - to incur the expense of removing seats etc if they have be put back in when promoted. Apart from Villa, I don't know of other PL clubs interested in standing areas.