Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Safe Standing - Support the Early Day motion

Celtic a step closer to standing areas in Parkhead

2478892482.jpg

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell, centre, has been driving proposals to introduce safe standing areas to Parkhead. Picture: Robert Perry

Published on the 18 January

</body>

CELTIC are set to become the first major club in Britain to allow designated safe standing areas in stadiums.

According to reports, the club has been given cautious backing by police chiefs for the proposals, who are understood to have softened their stance towards the plans. Glasgow City Council are also thought to have given Celtic the green light for the standing zones.

Chief executive Peter Lawwell has been campaigning for the introduction of standing areas at Parkhead since last year, and is keen to emulate successful deployments of safe standing areas in the Bundesliga.

The Scottish Premier League relaxed rules on all-seater stadia in 2011, allowing clubs to introduce standing areas like those seen in Germany.

Discussing the standing options in September, Lawwell said: “We think that some of the systems that are now deployed in Germany and other countries, it’s now time to give them a try.

“We feel there is a new vibrancy in football that has come from Europe and is now in the UK.

“It’s an energy and youthfulness and the safest way of being able to manage that is through safe standing. These are new systems that have come in that are extremely safe and we are very keen to explore further implementing that at Celtic Park.â€

Celtic a step closer to standing areas in Parkhead

2478892482.jpg

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell, centre, has been driving proposals to introduce safe standing areas to Parkhead. Picture: Robert Perry

Published on the 18 January

</body>

CELTIC are set to become the first major club in Britain to allow designated safe standing areas in stadiums.

According to reports, the club has been given cautious backing by police chiefs for the proposals, who are understood to have softened their stance towards the plans. Glasgow City Council are also thought to have given Celtic the green light for the standing zones.

Chief executive Peter Lawwell has been campaigning for the introduction of standing areas at Parkhead since last year, and is keen to emulate successful deployments of safe standing areas in the Bundesliga.

The Scottish Premier League relaxed rules on all-seater stadia in 2011, allowing clubs to introduce standing areas like those seen in Germany.

Discussing the standing options in September, Lawwell said: “We think that some of the systems that are now deployed in Germany and other countries, it’s now time to give them a try.

“We feel there is a new vibrancy in football that has come from Europe and is now in the UK.

“It’s an energy and youthfulness and the safest way of being able to manage that is through safe standing. These are new systems that have come in that are extremely safe and we are very keen to explore further implementing that at Celtic Park.â€

If Celtic do get safe standing, I hope they police it heavily - authorities and the govt down here will be looking to jump on the first sign of trouble or unrest to justify not bringing it to England. The introduction at Celtic really could be a blessing or a curse.

• Like 1

If Celtic do get safe standing, I hope they police it heavily - authorities and the govt down here will be looking to jump on the first sign of trouble or unrest to justify not bringing it to England. The introduction at Celtic really could be a blessing or a curse.

This. It'd be progress yet I worry that Celtic could undo that progress and more if that don't handle it all properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't matter where it comes in first. Just about getting a foothold somewhere, then it'll be easy to show everyone how right we are.

EDIT: "the league’s executives were given an overwhelming mandate to challenge [current] ground regulations"

Take a big old bite out of that quote. Delicious.  :beer:

Edited by Harry - LCFC

It's a fantastic bit of news. Could be what finally starts it all in England.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Premier League rejected it though even if it was a success in the FL. They've taken a very firm stance against it, which speaks volumes about them really.

I doubt it will ever be available for away fans. I'd even hazard a guess that sitting for away fans will be strictly enforced in grounds where there is some safe standing section for home fans.

BBC Radio 5 live â€@bbc5live 10 mins

5 live Breakfast has been told the Football League will lobby government to bring in safe standing areas into Championship football grounds

It'd be great if it was brought in at FL level, but you've got to wonder if clubs like ours would bother with it. Say it came in at the end of last season; would our club have invested significant time and money into converting part of our ground to rail seating if they knew it would be rendered useless upon promotion to the Premier League? I doubt it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/championship/10623219/Football-League-to-lobby-Government-in-major-move-for-safe-standing-areas.html

It gets closer, and closer, and closer.

Watch it come into the Championship as soon as we're not there lol

Great news, but it's moronic for journalists to use old pictures of terraces to relate to the new safe standing areas.

They are nothing alike and have negative connotations for the campaign as a whole. People that are on the fence about them could be swayed the wrong way seeing old school pictures like that. 

Poor journalism.

It'd be great if it was brought in at FL level, but you've got to wonder if clubs like ours would bother with it. Say it came in at the end of last season; would our club have invested significant time and money into converting part of our ground to rail seating if they knew it would be rendered useless upon promotion to the Premier League? I doubt it.

Rail seats can be used for standing and sitting. Can be altered to fit either league very easily.

Yes, but that's not really my point. The point is why would the owners want to invest money in rail seats when they're only going to be used as seats in the Premier League? From a financial point of view, I can't see owners being keen to spend a lot of money on turning seats into rail seats, only for them to be used as seats in the Premier League.

If, as a chairman, you have aspirations to become an established Premier League club, why would you invest in something which only has any use while you're in the Championship? I can see why the fans would want it, but I can see chairmen viewing it as a bit of a white elephant.

Yes, but that's not really my point. The point is why would the owners want to invest money in rail seats when they're only going to be used as seats in the Premier League? From a financial point of view, I can't see owners being keen to spend a lot of money on turning seats into rail seats, only for them to be used as seats in the Premier League.

If, as a chairman, you have aspirations to become an established Premier League club, why would you invest in something which only has any use while you're in the Championship? I can see why the fans would want it, but I can see chairmen viewing it as a bit of a white elephant.

This is my fear aswell.

For info as I don't know all the ins and outs of this

SSN saying that the FL had voted in favour of standing areas in the championship

Yes, I believe there was only one club that opposed it out of the 72.

I think it might have been Brighton.