Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Safe Standing - Support the Early Day motion

Why are they talking to those two who have no ****ing clue whatsoever what safe standing actually is?? I'm sorry, but they should not be talking to ex pros that probably never go to games as actual fans, its ridiculous. 

Its so frustrating watching debates on this matter when even the guy who's sort of for it can't put his argument across properly. Stan Collymore was the only person I have seen to actually argue the case properly. 

Relates to what a number of people said earlier about 'choosing your spot' with care.

@MalcolmJClarke Common sense from stoke city tckt office on club website suggesting those who want to sit at Norwich buying seats towards front.

Surprised that a club are actively encouraging supporters to do it but it's nice to see, helpful for everyone.

Disappointing comments from Dion Dublin though, who says he fears there will be another Hillsborough - clearly hasn't bothered to do any research on the subject whatsoever.

Standard for several ex-players who become pundits, don't really do research and stumble along with the safe, cliched answer.

Guest Foxin_mad

I think that people seem to be a bit naive/dim regarding the Hillsborough Disaster, they do not really understand what happened fully and are too emotionally charged.

Effectively there were 2 massive problems with some old standing enclosures. At Hillsborough unfortunately the first was that the Police cocked up and funnelled far too many fans into one 'pen' or 'cage' with no way of escaping.

If you take away the 'cages' 'pens' etc with locking gates, standing is safe in any form because in a worse case scenario people can get out on to the pitch.

The issue is pens and cages. If you put a cage around a seating enclosure and put 1000 extra people into it; there would be a serious incident and probably some deaths, it doesn't take a rocket scientist!

Edited by Foxin_mad

Relates to what a number of people said earlier about 'choosing your spot' with care.

@MalcolmJClarke Common sense from stoke city tckt office on club website suggesting those who want to sit at Norwich buying seats towards front.

Surprised that a club are actively encouraging supporters to do it but it's nice to see, helpful for everyone.

This happens at a number of clubs, they just don't put in writing that it's done, because the local Safety Advisory Group could then use it as a reason to reduce capacity in the section.

Some clubs also operate a "sit where you like"  policy when you arrive at grounds, to allow those that went to sit & those stand to locate themselves in separate groups.

The main problems come when fans have to sit in their allocated seat & "standers" are in front of those wanting to sit.

However, based on the current Sate Standing thinking these issues will not be addressed, as clubs are only talking about putting standing sections in the home part of the ground

Edited by Foxes_Trust

I still don't feel like it's a genuine possibility for Leicester yet. It's the Premier League we've got to win over because they've sounded about as dis-interested as you can possibly get, and whilst the majority of the Championship have aspirations of being there, they aren't going to put it in.

Surreal to think a ground I've been to now has it installed though. It's English footballs first step on the ladder - albeit a very small one.

I still don't feel like it's a genuine possibility for Leicester yet. It's the Premier League we've got to win over because they've sounded about as dis-interested as you can possibly get, and whilst the majority of the Championship have aspirations of being there, they aren't going to put it in.

Surreal to think a ground I've been to now has it installed though. It's English footballs first step on the ladder - albeit a very small one.

You just know the first bit of bother in that area and the press will be on it, like a dog on a dropped sausage.

Dion Dublin comes across as a clueless **** in that video.

Pundits will never understand the atmosphere side of the debate. I hate how people say we are chasing a good atmosphere at the risk of another Hillsborough. That simply isnt the case at all. It's a system that has worked for a long time now in Germany. Supporting your team at home is absolute shit for fans these days. Especially if you are in a relitively new stadium like ours where fans have been unable to really establish standing sections where its acceptable for a big area to stand up. This just leads to away teams constantly out singing the home support at virtually every game around the leagues. 

Another point to make is grounds still have old fashioned terraces like Peterborough last season (where it is no exaggeration to say we could have had our own disaster that day). Is anyone really saying this solution is worse than leaving grounds with those sort of areas?

Edited by MattGamble92

Pundits will never understand the atmosphere side of the debate. I hate how people say we are chasing a good atmosphere at the risk of another Hillsborough. That simply isnt the case at all. It's a system that has worked for a long time now in Germany. Supporting your team at home is absolute shit for fans these days. Especially if you are in a relitively new stadium like ours where fans have been unable to really establish standing sections where its acceptable for a big area to stand up. This just leads to away teams constantly out singing the home support at virtually every game around the leagues. 

Another point to make is grounds still have old fashioned terraces like Peterborough last season (where it is no exaggeration to say we could have had our own disaster that day). Is anyone really saying this solution is worse than leaving grounds with those sort of areas?

Nah, there are no pens or fences, people just crowd over the left hand side too much, but there's no risk of a crush as people will just spill rightwards or forwards.

Not that it's a concern any more.

3241905521.jpg

Dublin was ridiculous in the whole thing. It really was the most blatantly forced 'argument' I've seen to the extent there was barely an argument. He was just chucking out statements that didn't fit together.

In other words, someone who really shouldn't be publicly commenting on the matter but what does having the knowledge matter eh?