Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Safe Standing - Support the Early Day motion

Yeah in Cardiff, which makes it all the weirder that the club havnt come out in support of it.

Nobody who has researched safe standing can be against the idea, nobody.

It's probably the upheaval and cost of implementing it, the club probably do support it but they'll let other clubs try it first.

Was brought up at the last one and the club said there was no interest in it. 

On hearing that we are the only club in the Premier League that didn't publicly support it (ignoring the two Merseyside clubs but they're a little more understandable) they may realise how daft they look.

It's probably the upheaval and cost of implementing it, the club probably do support it but they'll let other clubs try it first.

That would be a weak excuse for me. We have the money.

• 1 month later...

Worth reading the answers from several of the parties to the 10 questions asked by the FSF & Supporters Direct, as Safe Standing is covered.

http://foxestrust.co.uk/3742/general-election-parties-responses-to-10-football-questions#more-3742

The answers are given by those focusing on Sport within each party, so a better guide to the party policy, altho still worth giving your own MP your thoughts

• 1 month later...

Just need to wait for the season of success that's about to come and present the evidence to the obstructionist knobheads here in England

They only way that's going to happen is if you introduce it in the house of commons. Plus notice the "rail seating" description which differentiates itself from safe standing which gives people the impression that there is an unsafe standing.

Edited by yorkie1999

Not sure this is necessarily good news. It's only going to lead to change if it works.

Celtic would be the last club I'd want to trial it. Their fanbase is one of the most violent in Britain these days, one misdemeanor and people will have the perfect excuse to suggest it's bad news.

Many obviously are still dead against it, not among fans but the people who matter when it comes to getting things done.

• Like 1

Yeah I did have the same thought as above, one flare at a champions league game at Celtic if they win, or one case of them getting Roma and the whole ground being smashed up and that's completely game over forever.

Hopefully it goes well and that but it could be a disastrous trial. A big English club doing it would've been great but obviously not possible.

Yeah I did have the same thought as above, one flare at a champions league game at Celtic if they win, or one case of them getting Roma and the whole ground being smashed up and that's completely game over forever.

Hopefully it goes well and that but it could be a disastrous trial. A big English club doing it would've been great but obviously not possible.

My understanding is that they have to change the rail back into seats for CL/European games. I think they can only allow standing in Scottish domestic league and cup matches.

My understanding is that they have to change the rail back into seats for CL/European games. I think they can only allow standing in Scottish domestic league and cup matches.

Oh that's a bit better then. Less of a spotlight and less people to fight with.

My understanding is that they have to change the rail back into seats for CL/European games. I think they can only allow standing in Scottish domestic league and cup matches.

Oh that's a bit better then. Less of a spotlight and less people to fight with.

Sounds to me like you've got something against Celtic. No reason to suggest that 2600 safe standing will lead to fighting in the stadium - they'll still be segregated from any away fans.

The spotlight will always be on Celtic until another British club adopts it. Worked well for years in Austria and Germany and I cant see any reason why it won't work over here.

I'm all for it. Loads of people stand at games anyway and that's less safe than having proper rails in place. Can't see it being a 'disastrous' trial at all.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you've got something against Celtic. No reason to suggest that 2600 safe standing will lead to fighting in the stadium - they'll still be segregated from any away fans.

The spotlight will always be on Celtic until another British club adopts it. Worked well for years in Austria and Germany and I cant see any reason why it won't work over here.

I'm all for it. Loads of people stand at games anyway and that's less safe than having proper rails in place. Can't see it being a 'disastrous' trial at all.

No nothing against Celtic at all. Don't dislike them any more than any other club.

My fears were not that safe standing in one section would be anything other than good. Celtic games they have a great atmosphere and often use things like flares to boost that.

My fear is that all it takes is for some drunken fool to throw a flare from somewhere near the safe standing area and some bigwig nobjockey in a suit to play it on the news and in the eyes of the government 2+2= safe standing encourages people to throw fire at each other. And that's the end of that.

If they put it, let's say, on trial at the Emirates, and all you could see on tele is people standing politely instead of sitting politely nobody would be able to stop it being implemented throughout the country.

• Like 1

No nothing against Celtic at all. Don't dislike them any more than any other club.

My fears were not that safe standing in one section would be anything other than good. Celtic games they have a great atmosphere and often use things like flares to boost that.

My fear is that all it takes is for some drunken fool to throw a flare from somewhere near the safe standing area and some bigwig nobjockey in a suit to play it on the news and in the eyes of the government 2+2= safe standing encourages people to throw fire at each other. And that's the end of that.

If they put it, let's say, on trial at the Emirates, and all you could see on tele is people standing politely instead of sitting politely nobody would be able to stop it being implemented throughout the country.

Can you imagine it, 2600 Gooners stood there politely in their suits with a glass of white wine and a prawn sandwich after a hard days trading at Canary Wharf lol

Celtic would be the last club I'd want to trial it. Their fanbase is one of the most violent in Britain these days, one misdemeanor and people will have the perfect excuse to suggest it's bad news.

You just made that up didn't you, Celtic fans are the most loved fans in Europe they can go anywhere win or lose and never start any trouble, they are a left wing club and twinned with clubs like St Pauli in Germany. 

I have friends who have been going to Celtic Park for years and they are never in trouble.