Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Captain...

Form is temporary...

His "form" was over a whole season, since then he has only played a few games, mainly as sub since Sven took over.

Since the 10/11/2010, he has made 2 league starts for us, how can he have any sort of form during that period?

While I agree that he hasn't had too many starts to prove his worth with, a substitute still needs to show something. The amount of gilt edge chances he misses is just too high. The practically open goal from 10 yards out is just the latest, if he was taking some of these chances then I wouldn't mind him getting a few games in a row but he just doesn't look good enough.

The situation: We're in good form, sitting at the top of the table on goal difference. Would you start him this evening? How many games do you give him without scoring?

The saying "form is temporary, class is permament" is rubbish though, for a host of different reasons.

I'll support Waghorn while he is playing for us, and I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I don't think he's good enough for a team that's chasing promotion.

While I agree that he hasn't had too many starts to prove his worth with, a substitute still needs to show something. The amount of gilt edge chances he misses is just too high. The practically open goal from 10 yards out is just the latest, if he was taking some of these chances then I wouldn't mind him getting a few games in a row but he just doesn't look good enough.

The situation: We're in good form, sitting at the top of the table on goal difference. Would you start him this evening? How many games do you give him without scoring?

If Vardy isn't fit, then yes, as for how many games, depends on his overall play, but it would be more than one start.

Nugent went 10 games without finding the back of the net, including missing some sitters, would you have dropped him?

Waghorn has gone 1 league start and 4 sub appearances since his last goal for the club.

His "form" was over a whole season, since then he has only played a few games, mainly as sub since Sven took over.

Since the 10/11/2010, he has made 2 league starts for us, how can he have any sort of form during that period?

Don't forget managers see him every day in training. He's obviously not rattling them in there either. If he was he might be getting more starts.

Getting saddled with that price tag at that age probably put an enormous amount of pressure on him. He hasn't really looked the same since.

If Vardy is injured then I'm not bothered whether it's Waghorn or Schlupp, frankly neither of them have done anything to warrant being a main striker or to set the pulses racing. But they are what we have at this moment in time.

People bang on about needing to take their opportunity from the Bench and call for Schlupp ahead of him. A man who scored two league goals in something like three starts and 18 sub appearances last year. Waghorn played in 9 league games all last year for us and Hull and scored two goals. But the way people go on you'd think it's abundantly clear Schlupp is a better option.

If Vardy isn't fit, then yes, as for how many games, depends on his overall play, but it would be more than one start.

Nugent went 10 games without finding the back of the net, including missing some sitters, would you have dropped him?

Waghorn has gone 1 league start and 4 sub appearances since his last goal for the club.

Fair dues. I was basing my opinion of what I've seen over the last couple of seasons. Without Vardy, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for a few games, I think now would be as good a time as any seeing as he's thrown him in against B'ham, dropping him again now is going to do the lad no good.

I do appreciate that it's a hard decision for Pearson though when he seems to completely lack composure.

Several people seem to be suggesting he is more deserving. Who do you suggest we play?

In the absence of Vardy, Waghorn, unfortuantly! He's still not good enough though. This is why I see the whole Beckford saga as poor management as it has that that has left us in this state. Whether it be managing his attitude properly or cutting our losses it should of been dealt with better.

As I keep saying hopefully Vardy is better soon but we still lack depth. Fingers crossed we can get to January without Nugent or Vardy missing for too many games, sell Beckford loan Waghorn out and get someone else in.

Don't forget managers see him every day in training. He's obviously not rattling them in there either. If he was he might be getting more starts.

Getting saddled with that price tag at that age probably put an enormous amount of pressure on him. He hasn't really looked the same since.

He is "obviously" doing better than Futacs and Schlupp, as he is playing ahead of them. Vardy and Nugent are our first choice strikers, I am not arguing for Waghorn to play ahead of them.

There are a number of reasons why he hasn't looked the same, as I have already stated in another post, they include, the price tag, the managerial changes, the player changes, the style changes, injuries, going on loan, being played out of position, having 2 league starts in the last 23 months.

Sometimes I really wonder about you guys, Waggs is 2nd best/best of the rest to Vardy. He try's hard and we all love him, better cost and costs a lot. Maybe a months loan would help him, but maybe having him as back up is more important. If we continue to progress then it seems pretty oblivious that he will leave, if we don't then he will most likely stay as other plays move on. The real question is why cannt anyone score a hatful of goals for us ?

In the absence of Vardy, Waghorn, unfortuantly! He's still not good enough though. This is why I see the whole Beckford saga as poor management as it has that that has left us in this state. Whether it be managing his attitude properly or cutting our losses it should of been dealt with better.

As I keep saying hopefully Vardy is better soon but we still lack depth. Fingers crossed we can get to January without Nugent or Vardy missing for too many games, sell Beckford loan Waghorn out and get someone else in.

In what state?

You mean top of the league, and having to choose between 2 current U21 internationals, or a Ghanaian international as our 3rd choice striker?

:frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics:

The guy's still really young, obviously a confidence player with good potential. He needs a few games of 60+ mins in the first team to find his feet at this level again but I'm sure he can manage that with a manager who we know he can play well under.

Well not knowing what has gone on it's rather difficult to apportion blame to the manager. It's difficult to cut your losses if no bids have been made for instance.

Pearson seemed quite happy to have Beckford as one of his main three strikers in the absence of offers (was rumoured by Fouth Official we had been trying to get rid for some time).

If Beckford throws his dummy out about being behind Vardy and Nugent and says we wants to leave the you are left with little option.

But how can Pearson manage a player that doesn't want to be here? You can tell just in his celebration on Saturday that he would prefer to play for Huddersfield, and whilst we are top, and scoring in every game as we have done so far - I couldn't care less. Pearson played him at the start of the season and he didn't take his chances, Nugent and Vardy did, why people can't see this eludes me.

Lastly, Waghorn is obviously struggling to find form...and with form comes confidence. If he finds either he'll be as good as Vardy. People need to be patient with him, he's had 2 extremely disappointing and disorientating seasons, in that he's been played out of position, been injured, on-loan etc. People can't argue that this wouldn't be a factor in his downturn in fortunes as this would affect anybody in any workplace.

He is "obviously" doing better than Futacs and Schlupp, as he is playing ahead of them. Vardy and Nugent are our first choice strikers, I am not arguing for Waghorn to play ahead of them.

There are a number of reasons why he hasn't looked the same, as I have already stated in another post, they include, the price tag, the managerial changes, the player changes, the style changes, injuries, going on loan, being played out of position, having 2 league starts in the last 23 months.

Excuses excuses excuses, tbh I don't even care if they're true, throw what stats and you tube vidoes you want at it he hasn't played well for two years. That is pretty much that.

And your bleating about keeping three strikers happy, 3 decent strikers is a minimum! Just because gangsta Beckford didn't want to fight for his place doesn't mean another talented committed profesional wouldn't!

In what state?

You mean top of the league, and having to choose between 2 current U21 internationals, or a Ghanaian international as our 3rd choice striker?

:frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics:

Please stop saying that. The fact that we are top does not vindicate our weakness's. Our state is we lack depth up front.

Waghorn has started one game and it was a slightly dissapointing 1-1 draw at 20th place Birmingham City. Which is being made out to be a better result than it was due to where it luckily left us in the table. Aside from that he's started against Burton and was dog. As I've said countless times we are top in spite of him not because of him.

And your bleating about keeping three strikers happy, 3 decent strikers is a minimum! Just because gangsta Beckford didn't want to fight for his place doesn't mean another talented committed profesional wouldn't!

Perhaps the manager believes the quality of player he needs isn't currently available in the loan market. Or perhaps there is someone he wants but he's having to play the waiting game. There could be a dozen reasons why Beckford has not yet been replaced by another Person as third choice.

Guest Col city fan

Please stop saying that. The fact that we are top does not vindicate our weakness's. Our state is we lack depth up front.

Waghorn has started one game and it was a slightly dissapointing 1-1 draw at 20th place Birmingham City. Which is being made out to be a better result than it was due to where it luckily left us in the table. Aside from that he's started against Burton and was dog. As I've said countless times we are top in spite of him not because of him.

Are you still banging on...

I hope Waggy plays this evening and bags... If not just to shut your moaning..

lol

Maybe true, but does this not give you confidence that we still have players not performing on all cylinders and we're still top of the league? God only knows how many points clear we would be had everyone been on form. Waggy not missing the chance on Saturday, Nugent not missing a sitter at charlton etc etc.

Football doesn't work like that. I think many people are wondering why you just can't be content with being top - rather than finding someone to moan about.

Waghorn is crap face the facts am I being harsh probably but whenever I see the lad play he strikes me as lumber doesn't have that footballing brain or quality for that matter we got mugged by Sunderland, an unfit Vardy will still stretch the opposition defense and that is the key.

But how can Pearson manage a player that doesn't want to be here? You can tell just in his celebration on Saturday that he would prefer to play for Huddersfield, and whilst we are top, and scoring in every game as we have done so far - I couldn't care less. Pearson played him at the start of the season and he didn't take his chances, Nugent and Vardy did, why people can't see this eludes me.

Lastly, Waghorn is obviously struggling to find form...and with form comes confidence. If he finds either he'll be as good as Vardy. People need to be patient with him, he's had 2 extremely disappointing and disorientating seasons, in that he's been played out of position, been injured, on-loan etc. People can't argue that this wouldn't be a factor in his downturn in fortunes as this would affect anybody in any workplace.

Waghorn I am going round in circles so I'm not going to say he isn't good enough again, it's all just excuses, stats and you tube vidoes, if he's going to get some praise for his performances from me then he's going to have to do something on the pitch.

Why do people keep putting words in my mouth on here and arguing with me over things I haven't even said? I said he should of been managed better by sorting his attitude (lets face it he doesn't want to be here becasue he's not playing and Pearson has probably been less than sympathetic about it) or cutting our losses (which was my preferred option and he should of been on the market earlier not playing in our first few games at Nugents expense) Not that he should still be here in the first XI ahead of Vardy or Nugent.

Archived