Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MooseBreath

ipad mini

Still doesn't change the fact that they're crazily overpriced. You must be able to build your own computer and install any operating system of your preference for 1/3 of the price you'd pay for an equivalent Mac.

I take it back your weekday wummery is getting pretty lax too.

If I have to design anything that involves 3D modelling, I'll do it on a PC, anything involving code or any hint of mathematics... PC. If I'm doing the unimportant stuff I'll use a Mac for the same reason I'd sketch in a Moleskin notebook and plot the dimensions of a new hardwood floor in a WHSmith notepad.

either you're being too cunning for my wednesday fried mind or you've just completely proven my point

Do people buy cars, clothes, furniture etc because it looks nice? Do people go for women they find attractive? Do people go on holidays to places that look beautiful? Or do they just go for anything that roughly does the same job no matter how bad looking it is?

Do people buy cars, clothes, furniture etc because it looks nice? Do people go for women they find attractive? Do people go on holidays to places that look beautiful? Or do they just go for anything that roughly does the same job no matter how bad looking it is?

Don't try and talk sense to the anti apple brigade, it is not worth the energy. Some people want elegance and design and some don't. They can stick with their pcs.

On another note, I think I have used my iMac dvd drive about 10 times in 2 years, and that was to rip cds.

The vast majority of design engineers - people who actually design important stuff like buildings and infrastructure - use pcs. Seems like only people who piss around with unimportant things like photographs and logos use macs. That tells me all I need to know tbh.

Are you a design engineer? No.

It's like saying you will buy a white van over a BMW because drivers all drive vans in their line of work as professional driver.

It's like saying you will buy a white van over a BMW because drivers all drive vans in their line of work as professional driver.

21C was specifically talking about doing design work, so no, it's not like that at all. If I was doing the kind of work for which a van was the most effective, yes i would certainly use a van over a BMW.

Anyway it has been made clear in this thread that the apple fanbois buy apple products simply because they look pretty, which confirms my suspicions, and I will now rest easy knowing I am not missing out on anything.

I'm a design engineer and I don't know anyone that uses a mac. I'm not an apple hater by the way.

If I had to switch on my pc, look at this before I opened up Photoshop every time I'd feel like dousing my eyes with bleach. I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy, I've got a Mac for design work and a PC for any backend stuff, both serve their purpose.

windows8.jpg

You do realise thats optional dont you?

21C was specifically talking about doing design work, so no, it's not like that at all. If I was doing the kind of work for which a van was the most effective, yes i would certainly use a van over a BMW.

Anyway it has been made clear in this thread that the apple fanbois buy apple products simply because they look pretty, which confirms my suspicions, and I will now rest easy knowing I am not missing out on anything.

This was about something you might be missing out on lol

And buying a mac is like buying a lamborghini and finding out it had a tesco value lamborghini engine under the bonnet.

I actually dont mind using them, they are really good for music production, i just think they are hurendously overpriced for what you get. And replacing parts on them costs a minor fortune if somthing goes wrong. The apple shop quoted 400 quid to replace the screen on my mates broken macbook, that is just insanity.

It amazes me that with all their money, Microsoft just can't find a decent designer. Maybe they force them to use Windows?

I understand everyone's problems with Apple's prices, fanbois etc etc, I agree they are ridiculously overpriced and the people queuing up over night for the iPhone were embarrassing. But you can't possibly have anything bad to say about their design. From the user interface to the packaging, it's ground breaking design. Jonathan Ive is a genius, sorry Sir Jonathan Ive.

There is a very good reason, pretty much every graphic design, advertising, digital agency in the world only use macs.

Looking good is only part of it. The user experience far outweighs that of a PC, I use both at work and there is absolutely no comparison between the two. Each have their own benefits and uses.

... with a pc you get shit done.

Until is crashes.

I'm a design engineer and I don't know anyone that uses a mac. I'm not an apple hater by the way.

The point is he isn't, so claiming that design engineers use it and it tells him all he needs to know is ridiculous. You purchase something to match YOUR needs not those of others.

And buying a mac is like buying a lamborghini and finding out it had a tesco value lamborghini engine under the bonnet.

Hmmm not sure about that.

Skodas have VW engines, but VW's cost more, have more retail value and are more highly desired. Perhaps that's a better comparison.

The point is he isn't, so claiming that design engineers use it and it tells him all he needs to know is ridiculous. You purchase something to match YOUR needs not those of others.

Again, the conversation was about designing. We were talking about the needs of designers. Read the thread before you post man.

You understand there are different fields of design right!? The needs of an architect and a graphic designer are quite different.

Of course. One is important and needs technology which is rock solid and extensive, the other is pretentious and whimsical and needs technology to look pretty.

Again, the conversation was about designing. We were talking about the needs of designers. Read the thread before you post man.

I'm well aware of what the conversation was, I'm a designer myself I tend to notice conversations about design. Again, I repeat just because an engineer uses it means little about it's uses for you. Or indeed the quality of the product.

Industries tend to go down one route with technology, and when everyone is doing the same it becomes hard to break away from that. You have to remember it wasn't so long ago most software and games weren't produced for macs at all. A great number of accessories including printers and plotters that were used in those industries didn't work on Macs.

Whilst you think certain sections of the design industry use macs because they are pretty. Anyone with any knowledge will know that couldn't be further from the truth. This is the first apple mac I used at work. It's not pretty, pretentious or whimsical. It and it's predecessors were pioneers for desktop publishing that revolutionised the design and print industry as there was nothing that could touch it on any other platform.

Macs were and still are the preferred computer of choice for those related industries, not because they look nice. But because the operating systems still knock spots of PC and, like other industries you are so far down the route with one lot of technology it can be hard to come back from that, not that it ever will because currently it's still the best platform to work on. The fact it looks nice is a nice bonus and something all designers would appreciate.

Quadra_650.png

I still own one of the very first ipods that arrived in the country. I didn't buy it because it looked nice, I bought it because it was like nothing else on the market. A revolution that still to this day is copied by others. If you want a pointer towards what the best is, look around all your electronics shops and see how many competitors attempt to copy as much as they can from apples operating systems and their looks. People don't tend to copy things because they are shit... otherwise we'd all still be sat here with beige computers, perhaps you are.

Archived