Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MooseBreath

ipad mini

I'm well aware of what the conversation was, I'm a designer myself I tend to notice conversations about design. Again, I repeat just because an engineer uses it means little about it's uses for you. Or indeed the quality of the product.

Just out of curiosity, because I genuinely don't know much about Mac operating systems. What is the difference between theirs and Windows 7? And by extension how does it justify the 2-3 x price of windows equivalent machines?

Just out of curiosity, because I genuinely don't know much about Mac operating systems. What is the difference between theirs and Windows 7? And by extension how does it justify the 2-3 x price of windows equivalent machines?

Two to three times the price?

Just a quick look online for something about comparable and from dell for an all in one intel i5 2.7ghz you are looking at about £900 compared to apples £1100 for their comparable model. I'm no spec geek but they seem to compare similarly at a glance.

http://configure.eur...=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

http://store.apple.c...mac/family/imac

Well windows are copying mac pretty well, but the osx still stands out for me with how intuitive it is. I'd have to compare the two latest versions to get a true feel of where they sit now though. The experience and flow in my daily routines is just so much more comfortable than it is with windows. Everything from the OS, to the feel of the mouse and keyboard, to loading software or using accessories and to the materials used, all add to the quality and feel of the product.

So many little things that probably mean nothing to most people, but they do mean something to me. It's all about personal opinion. What's good for me, and what I find important might not be so to you.

I love the mouse that comes with the mac, the ones that come standard with PC's are usually utter crap. With my mac I get a wireless touch sensitive mouse with swipe control. And a wireless keyboard that makes typing feel a damn site easier than your standard pc keyboard that still feel clunky in comparison.

Just a quick look online for something about comparable and from dell for an all in one intel i5 2.7ghz you are looking at about £900 compared to apples £1100 for their comparable model. I'm no spec geek but they seem to compare similarly at a glance.

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=d0023303&model_id=inspiron-one-23-2330-aio&c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac

Well windows are copying mac pretty well, but the osx still stands out for me with how intuitive it is. I'd have to compare the two latest versions to get a true feel of where they sit now though. The experience and flow in my daily routines is just so much more comfortable than it is with windows. Everything from the OS, to the feel of the mouse and keyboard, to loading software or using accessories and to the materials used, all add to the quality and feel of the product.

So many little things that probably mean nothing to most people, but they do mean something to me. It's all about personal opinion. What's good for me, and what I find important might not be so to you.

Dell are on par with apple in term of rip offs, if you look at building it from parts you'd probably find you could get it for half the price. Like apple, dell are a company that sell to people who dont actually know what they are buying.

http://configure.eur....=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

Can you only buy Mac's etc directly from Apple stores/websites? I think people that buy directly from the supplier are a bit stupid anyway. If you can put together a Mac yourself fair enough but I built a similar desktop with better Processor and GPU that the 21.5" Mac for ~£500.

Dell are on par with apple in term of rip offs, if you look at building it from parts you'd probably find you could get it for half the price. Like apple, dell are a company that sell to people who dont actually know what they are buying.

This is what I was getting at :P

To add, if you can't build Macs yourself and considering a lot of people that have them consider themselves 'tech savvy', why wouldn't you just buy the OS and install it on a custom built machine that will inevitably be much better for the same price?

http://configure.eur...=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

This.

Considering the animosity between Apple and Adobe, Creative Suite is a ****ing dream on OS X. Automator is also an absolute godsend.

And how many people are actually capable of putting together a computer? I've been using macs and pc's for about 18 years and wouldn't know where to start, and I'd imagine the vast majority of people don't either. Most people buying a pc go to dell or pc world, they don't make one themselves.

Automator is also an absolute godsend.

:thumbup:

And how many people are actually capable of putting together a computer? I've been using macs and pc's for about 18 years and wouldn't know where to start, and I'd imagine the vast majority of people don't either. Most people buying a pc go to dell or pc world, they don't make one themselves.

People build shelves themselves, it's about twice as easy to build a computer. I get why it's scary but to save literally twice as much at least (we're talking 5/6/700 pounds here) I don't understand why more people don't at least look into it. Maybe they aren't aware it's a possibility or have a complete lack of knowledge? Like I said though, most people I know who have Macs are pretty on the ball (or at least think they are).

It's more daunting than it actually is, been a PC user since day one.. Built them and everything but I have got to say my next computer will 100% be a MacBook Pro. OS is just a lot more robust and the design is very good!

Edit: also bought an iPad after months of "I don't need one, I've got an iPhone" trust me on this... Yes you do! I use mine everyday and I bloody well love it. All you need is wi-if only model and tether it to your iPhone and use your data plan from the phone contract to save monies!!! Simples!

How does that justify paying over the odds for a computer? Building a computer is not rocket science, you buy the parts and fit them, it's about as challenging as doing a kids jigsaw

How does that justify paying over the odds for a computer? Building a computer is not rocket science, you buy the parts and fit them, it's about as challenging as doing a kids jigsaw

Not quite, it's not as difficult as it seems, but there are a lot of fiddly connectors and random POST errors can really mess you up. I'm amazed people can overpay even for a pre-built Windows PC though. Shopping around isn't hard.

I have an ipad 3 and reading around sites there is huge outrage about the ipad 4 release. Frankly i completely agree. Its ridiculous that if i waited a mere 6months ivwould have got an updated model for the same price. Apple are a joke. So glad i jailbreak it to getting everything for free.

Anyways are other ipad owners going to complain to apple. Ipad 3 users on other sites have recommended doing it. Might get some itune vouchers out of it

I have an ipad 3 and reading around sites there is huge outrage about the ipad 4 release. Frankly i completely agree. Its ridiculous that if i waited a mere 6months ivwould have got an updated model for the same price. Apple are a joke. So glad i jailbreak it to getting everything for free.

Anyways are other ipad owners going to complain to apple. Ipad 3 users on other sites have recommended doing it. Might get some itune vouchers out of it

Things get constantly updated. Why are people outraged if Apple don't leave it a year till there next upgrade??

If you want to build a computer that's fine. I'd imagine of the the vast majority of pc's on the market though have been purchased pre built from one of the major chains. Most people either a) don't want to or b) don't know how to. People can't slate macs for the price when comparable pc's from major chains are hardly any different in price, in fact in terms of what you get for your money they are probably vastly inferior.

The mac v pc debate is pointless. It's about what suits the individual and their needs and wants.

in fact in terms of what you get for your money they are probably vastly inferior.

For the £1200 you spend on a new imac, you could buy a pc twice as powerful. Just look at the gaming rigs on overclockers.co.uk and then tell me they are 'inferior', and even that web site is overpriced compared to putting your own together from parts.

Including the screen? The iMacs come with lovely screens which cost a fortune on their own. Also are you factoring in the price of windows to these equations or just using a pirated version?

Yes with a screen and an operating system, although I think a lot of people would just use their tv for a monitor in their home nowdays.

Yes with a screen and an operating system, although I think a lot of people would just use their tv for a monitor in their home nowdays.

There has been a lot of debate on this, and the facts are that if you put together a machine the quality of an iMac it would not be that much cheaper, and you would have spent yout time on it, and you would no have an all in one solution, and you would not get Apple support or customer service, and you would not get the frankly stunning design. If you want to build your own kit then great, well done you. To point at the tens of millions who bought macs, ipads and iphones and tell them they are wasting their money is arrogant and completely missing the point.

There has been a lot of debate on this, and the facts are that if you put together a machine the quality of an iMac it would not be that much cheaper, and you would have spent yout time on it, and you would no have an all in one solution, and you would not get Apple support or customer service, and you would not get the frankly stunning design. If you want to build your own kit then great, well done you. To point at the tens of millions who bought macs, ipads and iphones and tell them they are wasting their money is arrogant and completely missing the point.

So is buying a computer because it looks shiney, but there you go

For the £1200 you spend on a new imac, you could buy a pc twice as powerful. Just look at the gaming rigs on overclockers.co.uk and then tell me they are 'inferior', and even that web site is overpriced compared to putting your own together from parts.

You seem to be massively missing the point here.

But humour us anyway. Could you please put together a package that you you think matches a mac. And I mean an all in one system. Including a top of the range touch sensitive mouse. A quality keyboard that's easy to use (unlike the clunky keyboards usually available that resemble trying to type on a typewriter). Not forgetting all the OS software and virus protection etc you end up having to buy as extra.

We'll then see how much cheaper it is, and how the quality stacks up.

Case : Cooler Master HAF X-M Midi Tower Case - Black - £109.99

Processor : Intel Core i7-3820 3.60GHz (Sandybridge-E) Socket LGA2011 - £215.99

Memory : Adata XPG Gaming v1.0 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual - £37.99

Graphics Card : Asus GeForce GTX 650 DirectCU 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card - £101.99

Motherboard : MSI H61M-P31-G3 Intel H61 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - £38.99

Storage : Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST2000DM001) – £66.66

Sound : Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 PCI-E Sound Card – £89.00

Monitor : BenQ G2222HDL 21.5" Widescreen LED Monitor - Black - £129.95

Peripherals : Depends on preference, but decent keyboard and mouse would cost roughly £70

Overall Price £860.56 and this is without shopping about for cheaper suppliers

Equivalent IMac - £1200

Bare in mind I have gone above the equivalent parts, performance wise, you get in the standard Imac, and the processor is considerably better, so at a push you could probably do it for £100 less

I honestly don’t know why I bothered doing this because the apple fanboys will just come back with ‘but it’s not white and shiny’ which of course negates any benefits you’d get from having a faster machine, but there you go.

I said all in one.... some people don't want towers. You're already up to £661!

All in one PC's also fall in the catagory of equipment for people with more money than sense, I can honestly say I dont know a single person who owns one

Imac is £1099 so you are £240 under with no operating system on it and it's not all in one. Plus you had to spend time sourcing your parts to get the cheapest deal, then you have to put it together. During which time I've just done some design work on my imac and charged £55 an hour. Then you still have to run windows... and sit with that heap of shit on your desktop!

I threw in the last part to wind you up. But it shows it not as cheap as people think.

All in one PC's also fall in the catagory of equipment for people with more money than sense, I can honestly say I dont know a single person who owns one

Or who prefer saving space, and appreciate design.

Imac is £1099 so you are £240 under with no operating system on it and it's not all in one. Plus you had to spend time sourcing your parts to get the cheapest deal, then you have to put it together. During which time I've just done some design work on my imac and charged £55 an hour. Then you still have to run windows... and sit with that heap of shit on your desktop!

I threw in the last part to wind you up. But it shows it not as cheap as people think.

Or who prefer saving space, and appreciate design.

I give up, arguing with somebody who puts design before practicality is pointless. All your arguments are just nit picking, and you seem to think your in the majority when your not. If all your bothered about is how something looks there really is no point.

Archived