Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MooseBreath

ipad mini

I give up, arguing with somebody who puts design before practicality is pointless. All your arguments are just nit picking, and you seem to think your in the majority when your not. If all your bothered about is how something looks there really is no point.

Why are you even "arguing" i've already said it's what is right for the individual. You are the one seeking out apple threads to attempt to put down their products, if you don't like them go away and post in a thread about home built pc's.

I seem to think I'm in the majority? What on earth are you talking about. If you mean people who buy computers already made up and not build them from scratch, then yes I am very much in the majority.

If I was only bothered about looks why was my first mac a quadra 650. A beige box no different to the standard pc. It suited my purposes because it did a job a pc struggled to do. Over time their looks improved and they currently produce products that are beautiful, that other companies try and copy... why? Because beauty is desired. The same reason people buy beautiful cars, go to beautiful places, and try to marry beautiful women.

You cobbled together a computer that costs £260 less with no operating system and it as ugly as sin. I would prefer to spend the extra and get something that better suits my needs, but is also beautifully designed and crafted. And that part is still a bonus because I would still use OSX than windows if it was installed on my old Quadra.

Why are you even "arguing" i've already said it's what is right for the individual. You are the one seeking out apple threads to attempt to put down their products, if you don't like them go away and post in a thread about home built pc's.

I seem to think I'm in the majority? What on earth are you talking about. If you mean people who buy computers already made up and not build them from scratch, then yes I am very much in the majority.

If I was only bothered about looks why was my first mac a quadra 650. A beige box no different to the standard pc. It suited my purposes because it did a job a pc struggled to do. Over time their looks improved and they currently produce products that are beautiful, that other companies try and copy... why? Because beauty is desired. The same reason people buy beautiful cars, go to beautiful places, and try to marry beautiful women.

You cobbled together a computer that costs £260 less with no operating system and it as ugly as sin. I would prefer to spend the extra and get something that better suits my needs, but is also beautifully designed and crafted. And that part is still a bonus because I would still use OSX than windows if it was installed on my old Quadra.

Whatever floats your boat, like I said though I dont mind the machines when used for the right purposes, I just dont agree with this whole style over substance thing. If you look back my original gripe was with the amount they charge for repairs and upgrades, and the lenghs they go to, to discourage you from doing it yourself.

If you look back my original gripe was with the amount they charge for repairs and upgrades, and the lenghs they go to, to discourage you from doing it yourself.

Fair enough, and you are correct.

I don't particularly like the way apple are going at the moment, and I've been a long time champion of their products back when they looked like shit. I still think the products are excellent, and as a designer I will always admire their looks. But I think I preferred it when nobody gave a shit and they weren't on the news every other day, it feels so much more a case of chasing a dollar than it does innovation... which is what helped draw me to them at the start.

Whatever floats your boat, like I said though I dont mind the machines when used for the right purposes, I just dont agree with this whole style over substance thing. If you look back my original gripe was with the amount they charge for repairs and upgrades, and the lenghs they go to, to discourage you from doing it yourself.

Style over substance? Are you mad? You think building a PC is a practical option for anything other than a tiny minority?? lol People have better things to do with their time. Good design always costs more. You are building some ugly piece of uber practical mess. No surprise that is cheap, especially when you are doing all the work yourself.

While I am on the subject, do you buy all your clothes from the cheapest possible outlet? No? Why not?

Fair enough, and you are correct.

I don't particularly like the way apple are going at the moment, and I've been a long time champion of their products back when they looked like shit. I still think the products are excellent, and as a designer I will always admire their looks. But I think I preferred it when nobody gave a shit and they weren't on the news every other day, it feels so much more a case of chasing a dollar than it does innovation... which is what helped draw me to them at the start.

I like apple when they create a whole new market overnight, when they make something you just have to have, and everyone else follows. I like them less when they drip feed updates and new tech to maximise their returns. This is why the likes of Samsung. Google and MS snapping at their heels is good news for everyone.

I had my first Mac in about 1988, it was a mac plus. My dad used them at work as a electronics design engineer, and loved them and bought us one for home. Used that for several years, then got an Mac LC2. Both not very attractive, although the Mac Plus was an all in one. I have always found Windows pretty painful as an OS as a result of my early start with Mac OS. Moved to a PC after the LC2, and used one until I got a Powerbook G4 in 2004. That lasted until 2011 (actually it still works fine) when got an iMac, which I expect that to last years as well, without any slowing, any need to reformat my hard drive or re-install the OS, just as I never have with the Powerbook.

Now I think I have the Powerbook, the 2011 iMac, an iphone 4, iphone 5, an iPod classic, an iPod photo, an iPod shuffle, an apple TV2 and an iPad 3. You could say I quite like Jony Ive's design ethos, and you would be right, but I have always just found them an absolute pleasure to use, and it helps me make the distinction between work (Dell PC all day) and play (everything else Music, photos, movies, web browsing, garageband etc).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived