Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

Scottish Football

The Championship in Scotland could be well worth watching this season for the reasons Matt has cited. The capital city's Old Firm are in there, Scotland must be the only country in Europe to have no representation from the capital in their top tier.

Bit off topic but I think Berlin didn't have a top flight team for a period. Crazy!

• 2 weeks later...

Bit off topic but I think Berlin didn't have a top flight team for a period. Crazy!

Hertha would have been massive if not for the fact that Berlin was divided and smack bang in the middle of a Communist country for 40 odd years. The fact it was meant that all the best German players went to Munich, Dortmund etc.

Even 20 odd years on, Hertha still struggles to compete despite playing at one of the most iconic grounds in the country. A shame really.

The Championship in Scotland could be well worth watching this season for the reasons Matt has cited. The capital city's Old Firm  are in there, Scotland must be the only country in Europe to have no representation from the capital in  their top tier, and there is the very real prospect that attendances, TV audience and outside interest will knock the cakewalk in the division above into a cocked hat. I doubt Rangers will have it all their own way this year, and everyone will be all the better for it.

The SPL is dead, but what do you expect? Rangers' demotion hasn't helped, but it's the money enjoyed south of the border that's killed the Scottish domestic game.

Fulham, neither a large nor a Premier League club now, have just spent £11m on Ross McCormack while Celtic, undisputed champions of Scotland and CL regulars, have had to sell their goalkeeper to a team that will consider midtable in the Prem a fairly good return. If you think it's hard for Championship and midtable Premier League sides to hold on to their talent, try being a Scottish side. Anybody with an ounce of talent playing the SPFL gets scouted and signed by an English club before you can say Edinburgh Waverley. 

The standard is low, the attendances lower but give me a ticket for the Edinburgh derby over any English second tier derby any day of the week. Real, visceral loathing between Hearts and Hibs, or the biannual love-in between Florist and Direby as they daisychain each other over long gone successes under a long dead manager? No contest.

Interestingly, Hertha are in the Bundesliga now but there have been several seasons as recently as 2012-13 where there has been no Berlin based team in the Bundesliga. I think. Aside from that your probably right. 

Two players in Rhodes and McCormack can't even get a call up to the Scotland squad, both rated at 10+ million. I suppose these thick twats in charge at football clubs will still keep paying over the odds for bang average players though.

Rhodes is an odd one, Strachan has said before how highly he rates him but he just isn't right for the way that Scotland play at the minute and options such as Naismith and Fletcher are better. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I absolutely agree - I'm just very surprised by the fact that he's the Hearts manager at such a young age. Feels like he played for us just yesterday.

Good point. Just looked and he's only 34. Retired due to a knee injuring last year.