Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

iPads

I've had an ipad for a bit over a year. Got it from the Apple store in Leicester. Never brought an Apple product before (or since). It is used every day without fail. I have a laptop which is virtually redundant (apart from playing FM). I take the point about the laptop being more powerful but nothing can match the ipad for it's immediacy of use. You switch it on and bang - you're ready to go. No warming up, logging on and waiting for updates. Perfect for most of the stuff I do on it. The kid's play games on it and the mrs loves it as well. Additionally I use it quite a bit for watching the footy in the kitchen or conservatory while she is watching tv. I got a 16gb Wifi + 3g version and if you want my advice, don't go for 3G and spend the extra money on a 32gb version. I've used up loads of space with just apps and photos (no music).

Having said all that, i also recently purchased a Google Nexus 7 tablet which is brilliant, particularly considering the price diferential between it and the Ipad mini (it's natural competitor?). I use the Nexus for work (as a diary etc) and the mrs and kids can use the Ipad. With the Nexus being approx £170 and the Ipad mini being £270 it is hard to recommend the latter in my opinion, especially if money is an issue.

What is the facination with Ipads these days? Are they not just basically laptops? What's the point in them....Am I missing something :(

This x 1000

I don't understand the point of them at all. A less powerful laptop, without a keyboard and with a touch screen. I hate bloody touch screens. I'm at a loss to see in what way they are useful; they're not even particularlly small - if I wanted something more portable then a laptop, I'd use a netbook.

I really feel like I'm missing something.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm tempted by the iPad Mini, Apparently the are (Obviously) smaller (Hence 'mini') but the screen size isn't all that much smaller, they have just thinned the border around the outside down, not sure how true that is, they are abit cheaper, the only downfall - and it's a big downfall imo is they only make them in 16gb. If I got a normal iPad i'd be looking at a 32gb I reckon so would want that for the iPad Mini really.

Friend offered me his iPad 2 for £200 after he got an iPad mini, I said no because I was happy with my Acer 4.1 Android tablet, but I'm regretting it now purely because I could've sold it for more than £200 :/

Ah well, mistakes are made :P

Just got the new iPad with Retina display.

Ditto.

Never really been interested in them before but me and the mrs decided to treat ourselves after selling two old iPhone 3GS's on eBay for more than we expected. Speed of the iPad is very impressive. Only downside is that I keep hitting shift rather than delete coz the location is different on this to the iPhone.

If you don't already have itunes and an iphone then it really isn't worth getting an ipad.

I've just bought my parents a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 christas (not the v2 that is a scaled down version) and I've opened it to set-it all up for them so it is ready to go on Christmas day, and fvck me this thing is good, it is a better spec than an iPad with its quad core processors, can run 2 apps at the same time so you don't have to close them down to run something else, has a nifty if limited split screen feature (which will increase with scope with the latest software release), so you can browse the internet and have s-note or Polaris running at the same time so you can easily drag and drop things between the 2, this feature will be expanded, it has the note pen, which is much easier to use than your finger, at times, other times not, but the handwriting recognition is pretty good.

It came pre-loaded with pretty good photoshop style app, video editing and smart remote control apps, amongst others, this may be the same on the ipads, I am well impressed by it, and really tempted to keep it.

A very long video going over the features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ3krff1JCE

When a referee becomes a fanboi you really know it's all over. Apple have been crap for years, living off a reputation developed by / with no friends who were desperate for something which made them feel superior. Take 50%-60% from their prices and you have something approaching value for money.

lol

Total bollocks. Everyone knows most Apple products aren't about value for money. It's a luxury item, that if you can to pay that bit extra, you can have.

I won't say that there's massive differences between Apple products and Android products (I have both). By all accounts, Apple certainly haven't been 'crap' nor have they for years and years. How you can even say that is beyond me, just look at their success. All the people who buy their products certainly don't just 'buy it for the logo'.

Whilst i'm not saying Apple products are perfect, coming out and saying they got their name from 'hipster nancy boys with no friends' is absolutely ludicrous especially with no evidence to back up your insane statement.

Anyhow, enough of your obvious bias ignorance.

iPads are absolutely fantastic, I have the iPad 3rd Gen and I take it everywhere. Whether I'm watching TV on Demand, watching Sky Sports on SkyGo, browsing the web or taking notes in my Lectures, it performs. And the A5X processor can run it all without hassle with having sufficient battery life to last all day. I'm not saying other tabs can't do this however, other tablets don't have anywhere near the processing power as the latest iPad models, and are completely outplayed in terms of specifications. I wouldn't recommend an iPad 3 with only 16GB memory, as most apps/games are optimized for Retina and therefore take up a lot more memory.

They're not flawless, and if you're looking for a cheaper option I'd go with the Galaxy Tab. But if you fancy pushing the boat out for a bit of luxury, the iPad is absolutely the way to go.

Ditto.

Never really been interested in them before but me and the mrs decided to treat ourselves after selling two old iPhone 3GS's on eBay for more than we expected. Speed of the iPad is very impressive. Only downside is that I keep hitting shift rather than delete coz the location is different on this to the iPhone.

Theres probably a way to customize the keyboard in settings mate.

lol

Total bollocks. Everyone knows most Apple products aren't about value for money. It's a luxury item, that if you can to pay that bit extra, you can have.

I won't say that there's massive differences between Apple products and Android products (I have both). By all accounts, Apple certainly haven't been 'crap' nor have they for years and years. How you can even say that is beyond me, just look at their success. All the people who buy their products certainly don't just 'buy it for the logo'.

Whilst i'm not saying Apple products are perfect, coming out and saying they got their name from 'hipster nancy boys with no friends' is absolutely ludicrous especially with no evidence to back up your insane statement.

Anyhow, enough of your obvious bias ignorance.

iPads are absolutely fantastic, I have the iPad 3rd Gen and I take it everywhere. Whether I'm watching TV on Demand, watching Sky Sports on SkyGo, browsing the web or taking notes in my Lectures, it performs. And the A5X processor can run it all without hassle with having sufficient battery life to last all day. I'm not saying other tabs can't do this however, other tablets don't have anywhere near the processing power as the latest iPad models, and are completely outplayed in terms of specifications. I wouldn't recommend an iPad 3 with only 16GB memory, as most apps/games are optimized for Retina and therefore take up a lot more memory.

They're not flawless, and if you're looking for a cheaper option I'd go with the Galaxy Tab. But if you fancy pushing the boat out for a bit of luxury, the iPad is absolutely the way to go.

Disagree about the processing power the Samsung galaxy note 10.1 is generally considered to be as powerful as the iPad3 and has more functionality with the pen, it certainly gives an added level of accuracy you don't get with your finger.

Can the iPad3 handle the multi tasking capabilities of the Samsung, genuine question, I've never seen any other tablets, android, apple or otherwise.

The reviews I've read generally come out equal, with the iPad coming out on top marginally on display and power, but the Samsung has better functionality and features and is cheaper.

Can the iPad3 handle the multi tasking capabilities of the Samsung, genuine question, I've never seen any other tablets, android, apple or otherwise.

You can use four fingers to swipe between apps. They all remain open until you forcibly close them (going to the home screen does not close the app). You swipe up with four fingers, which is where the tray will come up with all open apps in, and then you hold an app down to close it.

You can use four fingers to swipe between apps. They all remain open until you forcibly close them (going to the home screen does not close the app). You swipe up with four fingers, which is where the tray will come up with all open apps in, and then you hold an app down to close it.

But is it as good as this:

Not trying to say the Samsung is better, but this is the first time I've actually really seen a tablet as a practical and useful machine, rather than a bit of fun.

I've also been playing with the smart remote app, so now I can control the telly from my tablet as though it was a remote, no need for any LAN connections. I can only see this as available for the Samsung tablets, but the Ipad may be able to do it.

Just ordered the galaxy tab 2 10.1 16gb wifi, £188 after cashback from tesco's, bargain imo, no 3g but feck it

Was that online? I ordered one on friday for my old dear & it was £238. Why no cashback for me?!?

you have to wait at least 15 days from the day of purchase, so hold on before you try an claim

http://www.samsung.c...k/tab2cashback/

Anyone got a list of "must have" apps?

Must haves?

Start with Appsfire, gives you the current best free apps in every category imaginable.

Flixster

Imdb

Zeebox

All decent for TV and movies.

As a side has anyone downloaded Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition? This has just been released. I was a big fan of the second one back in the day on pc, and of course the PS2 spin offs.

It's currently £6.99 on App Store.

Just ordered the galaxy tab 2 10.1 16gb wifi, £188 after cashback from tesco's, bargain imo, no 3g but feck it

Can you do tethering on the Galaxy? I've got an iPad mini which obviously doesn't have 3g, but I'm on the One Plan with Three and I get unlimited data and there's no charge for tethering to the iPad or any other devices.

It's really good, I do it via Bluetooth - I just set up a connection between my phone and the iPad and I can access my 3g on there, no problems. Good for reading the paper and browsing this place on the train to work in the morning!

Can you do tethering on the Galaxy? I've got an iPad mini which obviously doesn't have 3g, but I'm on the One Plan with Three and I get unlimited data and there's no charge for tethering to the iPad or any other devices.

It's really good, I do it via Bluetooth - I just set up a connection between my phone and the iPad and I can access my 3g on there, no problems. Good for reading the paper and browsing this place on the train to work in the morning!

dont even know what tethering is mate

Must haves?

Start with Appsfire, gives you the current best free apps in every category imaginable.

Flixster

Imdb

Zeebox

All decent for TV and movies.

As a side has anyone downloaded Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition? This has just been released. I was a big fan of the second one back in the day on pc, and of course the PS2 spin offs.

It's currently £6.99 on App Store.

cheers

I do like to read a bitchy iPad thread in the morning! Makes me laugh. People get so irate! You either value beautiful original design, the whole eco-system that is the apple app sutie, and the simplicity of it all, or you don't. Or you would value that but canot afford it. If you are happy to reward companies which copy rather than innovate, allow you lots of freedom to piss around but are not going to give you a great environment, and prefer that, then go android. Simple. This is like arguing over which coffee tastes better, and getting irate that other people don't agree.

Personally like Apple and am not really interested in tinkering, but am rather glad overall that there is stiff competition, becuase that is what has given us these amazing products. No way would any one company have driven this level of improvement in recent years.

I do like to read a bitchy iPad thread in the morning! Makes me laugh. People get so irate! You either value beautiful original design, the whole eco-system that is the apple app sutie, and the simplicity of it all, or you don't. Or you would value that but canot afford it. If you are happy to reward companies which copy rather than innovate, allow you lots of freedom to piss around but are not going to give you a great environment, and prefer that, then go android. Simple. This is like arguing over which coffee tastes better, and getting irate that other people don't agree.

Personally like Apple and am not really interested in tinkering, but am rather glad overall that there is stiff competition, becuase that is what has given us these amazing products. No way would any one company have driven this level of improvement in recent years.

Amen.... it's the same people in every thread (shock horror).

This is like arguing over which coffee tastes better, and getting irate that other people don't agree.

Thing is that comment applies to this forum all over, not just people getting their high horse of Apple v Android.

Don't get me wrong this is a forum, it's for discussion and debate but alot of people struggle with discussion, debate and accepting other peoples opinions, it always ends up in an argument, slagging off someone or something, I suppose it shows how strongly some people feel on certain subject and have strong opinions, but it always seems that there must be a wrong or right opinion, now one can have an opinion on something there must be a right answer, there must be a 'winner' and no other opinion or view on a matter is valid.

Just been looking and I though they only did a 16gb iPad mini - They do a 32gb too (And a 64gb), so does anyone know, is it as simple as the iPad mini being smaller compared to and iPad? And how much smaller is the iPad mini, because i've been told the screen isn't actually all that much smaller than the normal iPad apparently they have just slimmed the screen surround. Really I need to go to a shop and decide myself but if anyone on here knows and could advise abit more that'd be great!

Archived