Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MattyFromLE

Palpitations...

Yeah they keep coming and going. About, 2 years ago I saw a therapist who suggested that I have quite a high level of OCD. But not as in checking if the car door is locked - but repetitive thought patterns. I have literally thought of nothing else since they started so - I guess you could be right!

Then use it positively ! Think back through your day for three things that you were either pleased about or really did well at or that made you smile / happy. Ideally, things you influenced. Now dwell on those ! Even better, keep that positive feeling and think about something that is coming up later on - or tomorrow - and try and take that feeling of 'success' with you ahead of time !

Chocolate, I had a blue riband about 2ish, can of Red Bull and 3 cups of tea. But nothing toooooooo excessive I wouldn't think.

I am 90% sure that if you 1. don't drink a red bull plus 3 cups of tea and 2. stop stressing about them then you'll see a marked improvement.

I started to get them at university. Buried my head in the sand / worried about them for a few years and then finally went to see a GP. Was referred to a consultant cardiologist who did an ECG, x-ray, stress test and 48 hour heart monitor. Within a few days of seeing the GP I was told by the consultant they were benign ectopic beats, very common and nothing to worry about.

I now rarely ever notice them now, they were clearly related to anxiety (worrying about them makes them happen more) and certain other contributors such as caffeine intake. I now have 1-2 cups of tea a day, no coffee and stopped worrying about them and now they don't bother me.

Go and see your GP.

Yeah they keep coming and going. About, 2 years ago I saw a therapist who suggested that I have quite a high level of OCD. But not as in checking if the car door is locked - but repetitive thought patterns. I have literally thought of nothing else since they started so - I guess you could be right!

I have the exact same thing. Just a repetitive illogical thought that could be anything (usually a negative thought about yourself or others' opinions of you) that loops and loops causing a constant sense of anxiety. The more you rationalise the worse it gets.

It is a form of OCD. Have you tried CBT? I'm due to start it soon.

Anxiety is an awful thing, because it stifles people. Inside I feel like such a nice, friendly and confident guy, but in reality the anxiety can get in the way and make me be quite withdrawn/irritable.

If it helps I find exercise helps a lot, and also instead of rationalising voice the thought to a loved one, it's amazing how that can make it go away.

Electro shock treatment could help :ph34r:

That's called cardioversion and it can work but it's not usually permanent.It can be achieved with medication also.

Palpitations can be caused by a number of things, all mentioned previously. It can also be an erratic sino-atrial node (the clutch of cells in the heart that instigate each heartbeat (contraction). This tiny area can become irritated (I don't fully know how) and this results in a series of "extra" beats or, in the case of palpitations, a prolonged period of rapid, sometimes irregular, hear rhythm. This is something an ECG might show but to get to the bottom of it, if it becomes life-altering or a danger to your health, then, ideally a cardiologist needs to be involved. (In my opinion).

Archived