Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Part Of The Crowd

League of Legends

I've played it and I weren't convinced. Felt like a knock off version of Warcraft. Ideal if you want a free MMO, however I'd prefer to splash a monthly fee around and play Warcraft.

It's not an MMO, it's a team-based RTS/Action game. And incidentally, it's the guys that made the DOTA mod in Warcraft that kept the game so hugely popular for so long. The same guys made lol.

I play it occasionally, but have shifted my main interest towards World of Tanks, which is just brilliant!

Yeah, as Shen says it's more team based RTS. It's one of those games that's also really fun if you get a bit into it and play with friends.

I have to wonder who Shen's favourite character is though.

How is World of Tanks by the way? I joked about it at first when I saw an advert but now I feel strangely enticed towards actually playing it.

It's not an MMO, it's a team-based RTS/Action game. And incidentally, it's the guys that made the DOTA mod in Warcraft that kept the game so hugely popular for so long. The same guys made lol.

I play it occasionally, but have shifted my main interest towards World of Tanks, which is just brilliant!

As you can tell, I didn't play it for long lol.

I do like World of Tanks. :D

Yeah, as Shen says it's more team based RTS. It's one of those games that's also really fun if you get a bit into it and play with friends.

I have to wonder who Shen's favourite character is though.

How is World of Tanks by the way? I joked about it at first when I saw an advert but now I feel strangely enticed towards actually playing it.

Haha, I was fuming and at the same time flattered that a character was named Shen, just like in Diablo 3. My fave is Garen or Irelia though, also played Sivir a fair bit.

World of Tanks is just that. Very fast-paced with no game lasting more than 15 mins, and very rarely lasting over 10. It's a team-based RTS/shoot-em-up and feels great with controls and realistic tank models. Of course some realism has been sacrificed for better gameplay experience, but there are a lot of realistic features like shell normalization, rotation speed and load/aim times as well as different shells (Armor Piercing/High Explosive shells). Quite fun if you're just a tad war/tank-interested.

I played it a few times, got my ass completely kicked. Could have done with somebody to show me how to play it properly as I was obviously playing it wrong, just couldnt figure out exactly where. Very steep learning curve.

You were probably really unlucky and got matched with people who already played and had started new (Smurf) accounts. Essentially you have to farm gold from the minions to buy items (Usually the recommended items aren't the ideal but a decent start on most characters) push the towers, and enemy base. Of course you can use your team-mates to tactically out-think the other team and force advantages and stuff. It's a game that has a bit to it but once you get the hang of what you're supposed to do is really really fun with friends especially. I decided to try some ranked games this season and I won my first four placement games giving me a rating of 1337. I'd love to keep it at that but because I'm still in ranked placement nobody can see what it is. :(

I played it a few times, got my ass completely kicked. Could have done with somebody to show me how to play it properly as I was obviously playing it wrong, just couldnt figure out exactly where. Very steep learning curve.

As PotC says, you haven't had the luck. Start out against beginner bots and work your way up. The controls are essentially very easy (mouse-click and 6 ability buttons), but learning the different heroes/abilities/role takes time and practice. My advice would be to start out with a hero that is marked as 'easy' when you look at their 'stats'. Garen is a great starter because his abilities and his play style are pretty straight-forward: Rush in and deal damage and pull out again. If you want to try it, I can run you through the basics.

I've heard the World of Tanks community is full of wankers who don't give new players on their team any slack?

Generally people are quiet (which isn't necessarily good), but as with every other team-based online game, there'll be the occasional flaming. Some of it quite justified, as you see headless players charge into the enemy team die and put their own team in a disadvantageous position. There is a report system that includes provoking/insulting, but I don't know how well it works. I have been prone to the odd bashing of my team when they've left a flank for dead and basically determined the team's defeat, but now I try to single out players and have a chat with them after the game and try to tell them what they did wrong and why, which yields far better results.

In low tier games (i.e. noobie games) I didn't experience much flaming, mainly because most ARE noobs and have no clue what they're doing, let alone notice how other people screw up.

I love DOTA on Warcraft, never played lol though.

Well this game IS proper DOTA and not just a mod for a RTS game. You'll love it if you liked DotA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Thought I'd bump this thread. Me and my mates downloaded this a few weeks ago, and have been addicted; been up to 3/4 in the morning way too many times this month. What with the new Xbox sounding pants, this is helping to push me more in the direction of PC gaming (since I'm only playing on my laptop at the moment).

Only problem I have is that it has one of the douchiest communitys I have ever experienced on a game. People take it way too seriously, probably because they all believe they're going to become world famous pro's who are going to get paid to play :rolleyes:

Currently playing this aswell IGN is AyeJay if anyone wants a few games. Do have to say tho dota games tend not to be noob friendly mainly because there a different format to the norm and i agree the community is full of elitest mugs but when you get a good team/competetive match the game is really hard to beat.

Id be up for giving this another go tbh. I've realised where i was going wrong now, i didn't even know you could buy items, i just thought you leveled your character up and got new abilities like that. No wonder i was getting my ass kicked lol

• 8 months later...

Archived