Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Danno

Dr Dre Beats

Depends on your player too. If you're using an iPod or something equally average then don't waste your money, you won't be able to actually notice the quality up to a point anyway.

A fifteen to twenty quid pair of Sennheisers will almost certainly do the job just as well if not better given the output device.

I just got a seventy odd quid pair of Audio Technicas and the build quality and aesthetic isn't as good as beats but I much prefer the sound.

So it depends what you want. If you're a vain, flash **** who just wants to look like every other vain, flash **** then fork out for them. But if you want good sound and better value then google yourself some audiophile review sites and do some research.

I do find it amusing when people say the sound quality on them isn't very good. Idiotic thing to say.

Compared to other high end headphones you could get for a similar price, the quality isn't that good.

Anyone else on here got the Marshall Major phones? The mrs got me some for my brithday, they're cool as hell and the sound quality's great - they seem a lot more suited to listening to rock music as well - the bass is good, but not too heavy like with the beats. They're also loud as **** - I only have to have my iPod turned up about a third of the way most of the time - these have certainly got some serious volume. Apparently they were on offer for about £60 when my mrs bought them - definitely worth it for that I reckon.

Compared to other high end headphones you could get for a similar price, the quality isn't that good.

I've compared them to other high end headphones and I don't see it. I think its the name associated with them myself. But each to their own and mine haven't failed me yet.

Like a lot of other people have said for the price I think theres better out there. I have a pair of Sennheiser's which are brilliant. My Sennheiser's have good sound but i'd never take them out.

If you're gonna spend that much on a pair of headphones actually try all the competitors out and don't just fall for the hype and the fact its got Dr Dre's name on it. Any proper electronics shop will know certain headphones work better with certain music so take a cd, ipod, etc with the music you listen to and try some out. It might just be you like the sound of the Dr Dre Beats the most anyway.

I don't think spending a lot on headphones is ridiculous if you really like music because you can notice the difference. But if you're just gonna wear them whilst walking/jogging around outside, you're probably better to use something cheaper.

Not saying they're poor, Sam, just that there's better and certainly better value for money.

Did you get those ATs you were tempted by, by the way?

Depends on the use, Ash. I've spent everything from a tenner up to a hundred quid on headphones and I've also had a listen to some high end ones in studios and you can definitely hear the difference if the output device is good enough.

Obviously it isn't for everyone and if you're just using some cheap player while you jog at the gym its a waste but if you're at home or in the office with a good player then the headphones can make a big difference.

you can definitely hear the difference if the output device is good enough.

I remember a while ago Finners you posted somewhere a decent mp3 player you were looking at. Can't find the post, do you remember what it was?

I got myself a lovely Cowon J3 off of Amazon, as new.

I struggled to find one brand new as I think they may have discontinued the model, despite it still being on the site, but obviously there are newer versions.

I opted for a J3 over their more recent PMPs because it's got a longer battery life and a slightly slicker interface in exchange for a lack of HD screen, which I'm not interested in.

Was a little dubious at first, as it was my first foray into HQ sound devices and I wondered whether or not I'd really be able to tell the difference and if that effort of sourcing one would be worth it but I certainly can and it definitely was. I'd recommend one to anyone who's willing to sacrifice a bit of usability (the interface is definitely sub-iPod by some distance) for more complete sound.

I got myself a lovely Cowon J3 off of Amazon, as new.

I struggled to find one brand new as I think they may have discontinued the model, despite it still being on the site, but obviously there are newer versions.

I opted for a J3 over their more recent PMPs because it's got a longer battery life and a slightly slicker interface in exchange for a lack of HD screen, which I'm not interested in.

Was a little dubious at first, as it was my first foray into HQ sound devices and I wondered whether or not I'd really be able to tell the difference and if that effort of sourcing one would be worth it but I certainly can and it definitely was. I'd recommend one to anyone who's willing to sacrifice a bit of usability (the interface is definitely sub-iPod by some distance) for more complete sound.

You're not wrong Finners they're as rare as rocking horse shit! There is a used one on ebay currently at around £120-ish. Think its the 16Gb.

The reviews i've read so far have pretty much said that anyone with a keen interest in improved sound quality will love it & in its price range is pretty much unrivalled, but the interface & build quality leaves a little to be desired.

Each review really bigged up the sound quality though to be fair which is all i am interested in. High-end cans are a waste of time if i'm just going to be plugging them into my Galaxy S2!

The sound quality is top banana and I have to say I don't have a problem with the build quality. It's lightweight but if you're not especially clumsy that's really just a bonus. It's not especially attractive, it's just a plain black rectangle, but I'm always baffled by people who care what functional devices look like when you're just going to stick them in your pocket.

The interface is a bit poor and if you can get playlists to work I haven't bothered working out how yet because it's a little bit fiddly. But the sound is luscious and the battery life is immense.

Also, don't worry about the capacity because the J3 has an additional MicroSD slot. I got a 16 and chucked a 32 card in extra. Well worth the £120 in my opinion, as long as you trust the seller. Though I have a hunch the latest Cowon music specific player may have been released since I bought mine so it may be worth a little bit of research before you commit to an older model because they promised a successor to the J3 that had the techie forums drooling.

I've said it before in this thread but you have more money than sense should you spend £100+ on headphones why not use some normal standard ones?

Because 'normal standard ones' might not produce the sound quality your after.

All depends on the preference of a person.

Some people like to spend over a ton on football boots, while others will pay say £30. Same product just different quality.

If your not producing music yourself, then there really is no point spending your money on these, and even if you are a music producer, you wouldnt spend over 100 quid on gimmicky beats. They really arnt worth the price they charge for them at all.

Beats just seem like a fashion item to me

Yep. They're made in China, TechRadar only scored them 3/5 for "lacking sound quality"

If I was spending £150 on a pair of headphones, I'd go for someone known in the area - Bose, Sony, Klipsch, Sennheiser... plenty of reputable brands that have premium headphones that won't go out of fashion in a year

I just use Klipsch X1 in-ear phones, great sound quality for £20. I've had pricier ones before but the cables always seem to break within a year, and these have lasted me almost 3 years already

Though I have a hunch the latest Cowon music specific player may have been released since I bought mine so it may be worth a little bit of research before you commit to an older model because they promised a successor to the J3 that had the techie forums drooling.

Have had a better look today on the website and like the sound(and look tbf) of the X9. They have them on amazon for sale but the ones for sale on the .com site are so much cheaper than the .co.uk site! I dont think they post to here though but will double check later. 8,16 & 32Gb models available with microSD slot so would probably go with an 8Gb and grab a 32Gb card as well.

The reviews I've seen of them have been reasonably complimentary, but as others have already noted there is a bewildering range of headphones in any price bracket you choose and there doesn't seem to be anything to mark these Dre things out from the pack, so to speak.

It's also a bit strange that, in the age of mp3 where if anything sound quality has taken a bit of a back seat in favour of storage and convenience, that people are suddenly interested in headphones that cost more than the devices they're listening to. You don't need to spend a fortune to squeeze out what's there if you're listening to 128kbps mp3s which is what a lot of folk still seem to do.

If anyone wants good sound on a budget, I've yet to hear anything that sounds noticeably better than my Sandisk Zip Clip (£35), 32 gb micro SD card (£15) Sound Magic E10s (£28) (total outlay £78) with Mp3s ripped using Exact Audio Copy and LAME encoder (both free). The player feels like something you'd get out of a cracker, but for the money it sounds grand and if you drop it down the bog accidentally you won't be too upset.

I looked seriously at the Cowon players but without having a chance to test them I didn't fancy parting with that sort of cash. And knowing me I'd probably drop it down the bog

I've heard good things about that Sandisk Zip, I use Walkman S Series and they are unbelievable for the money - quality sound, top build quality, endless battery life, great levels options, good size. I tested it next to an iPod Classic and iPhone and the Apple products seemed to have no sound depth in comparison

I very nearly went for the SanDisk Clip. It had very similar reviews in terms of sound to the J3 and is fantastic value but I was put off by the size.

I'm not sure I'd trust myself with something that diddy, even that cheap.

It also seems to rely on needing third party software being installed to get the best out of it and I admit that intimidated me slightly.

So has anyone got them or is this just an MP3 players chat?

Yea I have some Beats Solo HD. They are bass heavy, but the mid and treble is good too - not super detailed but I would say way above average. I also tried Bose and AKG and found the beats much, much comfier to wear over a period of time. They have iPhone controls too which is a big plus if you use them with an iPhone for music and calls or an iPod/iPad or Mac (in which case they control iTunes and act as a headset with a mic).

So has anyone got them or is this just an MP3 players chat?

Read the thread?

Conclusions:

Sam has them, he likes them.

There are much cheaper options that are either as good or better in terms of sound.

If you want them because you think they're cool you're probably going to buy them anyway.

If you're using an iPod, or similar, and are just playing standard quality MP3 files through it then any expensive headphones are going to be a waste.

If the last point applies to you, just get the most comfortable pair of headphones which limit outside sound which is probably going to be an in-ear pair of Sennheisers or Soundmagic e10s or something.

Archived