Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dan LCFC

Brighton say no to safe standing

http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=21372

The club does not support any move for “safe standing†in football stadia and is not considering such a move for the American Express Community Stadium. We have just spent over £100 million developing a state of the art all-seated football stadium, recently named best new venue in the world. One of our main aims was to make the stadium fully inclusive for anyone who wishes to watch and enjoy football, regardless of their age, sex, height, or physical condition, and for them to do so in an atmosphere that is conducive to comfort, great views, and good behaviour. This is in stark contrast to standing areas where a large percentage of the general football watching population are excluded because they would be unable to actually see the pitch. In turn, standing areas create the potential for poor behaviour to go undetected and unresolved. As a club that is doing all it can to promote a family event atmosphere within the stadium and on its approaches, this would be a backward step.

Extremely disappointing stuff.

How many times you complete and utter bellends: How can an ALL-seater stadium be fully (ALL) inclusive? That's only inclusive of the people who don't want to stand! AAAAGGGHHHHH! And if none of the relevant of authorities are reading this I've wasted effort writing it so even more AAAGGGHHHHH!

It's like Brighton want to be called gay :ph34r:

http://www.twohundre...nt.net/?p=21372

The club does not support any move for “safe standing†in football stadia
and is not considering such a move for the American Express Community Stadium. We have just spent over £100 million developing a state of the art all-seated football stadium, recently named best new venue in the world.
One of our main aims was to make the stadium fully inclusive for anyone who wishes to watch and enjoy football
, regardless of their age, sex, height, or physical condition, and for them to do so in an atmosphere that is conducive to comfort, great views, and good behaviour. This is in stark contrast to standing areas where a large percentage of the general football watching population are excluded because they would be unable to actually see the pitch. In turn, standing areas create the potential for poor behaviour to go undetected and unresolved. As a club that is doing all it can to promote a family event atmosphere within the stadium and on its approaches, this would be a backward step.

Anyone spot the huge contradiction?

:(

http://www.twohundre...nt.net/?p=21372

The club does not support any move for “safe standing†in football stadia and is not considering such a move for the American Express Community Stadium. We have just spent over £100 million developing a state of the art all-seated football stadium, recently named best new venue in the world. One of our main aims was to make the stadium fully inclusive for anyone who wishes to watch and enjoy football, regardless of their age, sex, height, or physical condition, and for them to do so in an atmosphere that is conducive to comfort, great views, and good behaviour.
This is in stark contrast to standing areas where a large percentage of the general football watching population are excluded because they would be unable to actually see the pitch.
In turn, standing areas create the potential for poor behaviour to go undetected and unresolved. As a club that is doing all it can to promote a family event atmosphere within the stadium and on its approaches, this would be a backward step.

I know it's radical but there usually is this occurrance where smaller people stand near the front and taller people towards the back, meaning most people can see. Unlike in seated areas, there is the opportunity to get up and move to a place where you might be able to see the pitch if stuck behind someone taller.

It's disappointing in the context of the overall drive but at the same time I can completely understand a club not wanting to spend money altering a stadium they've only just moved in to. Fair enough really. Maybe in a few years if other clubs take it on they'll reconsider. Bit silly getting all irate about their stance now though.

I wouldn't actually mind sitting down if there was actually enough space for me to sit down, I'm very slim too I dunno how fat people can do it

At Filbert Street in the late 90's there used to be a guy who sat about 5 rows behind the home dugout who was known as 'two seats'.

The fat bastard couldn't even get through the turnstile, let alone actually into a seat. Every week he turned up about 2.25pm and the big blue door that was the emergency exit had to be opened so he could waddle down the side of the pitch and sit down.

Two seats worth just for himself and his left leg used to just hang across a third of the stairs, what a creature.

Our club will release something similar sooner or later, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the near future as they wouldn't feel on their own anymore.

I hope they come up with a better excuse than "some people might not be able to see".

I know it's radical but there usually is this occurrance where smaller people stand near the front and taller people towards the back, meaning most people can see. Unlike in seated areas, there is the opportunity to get up and move to a place where you might be able to see the pitch if stuck behind someone taller.

Problem with that is safe standing proposals would still be reserved standing and allocated "seating" well the last bit I read was anyway, effectively it is a seated area that is designed to make it easy and comfortable to stand through the match, you get some tall bloke in front of you you are a bit screwed, but then if you are a short arse perhaps you shouldn't go in the standing bit.

Problem with that is safe standing proposals would still be reserved standing and allocated "seating" well the last bit I read was anyway, effectively it is a seated area that is designed to make it easy and comfortable to stand through the match, you get some tall bloke in front of you you are a bit screwed, but then if you are a short arse perhaps you shouldn't go in the standing bit.

Exactly. It's an option, it gives fans a choice. If you're a midget or a child and you choose to stand at the back (or buy a ticket at the back) of the standing section and then complain you can't see; you're a retard.

At the 2000 League cup final I couldn't really see that well, when we scored I had some big blokes in front of me jumping around before I'd even seen the ball cross the line. Did I complain? No I bloody well did not!

It's a sad state of affairs when the stupidity of the minority ruins things for everyone else.

At Filbert Street in the late 90's there used to be a guy who sat about 5 rows behind the home dugout who was known as 'two seats'.

The fat bastard couldn't even get through the turnstile, let alone actually into a seat. Every week he turned up about 2.25pm and the big blue door that was the emergency exit had to be opened so he could waddle down the side of the pitch and sit down.

Two seats worth just for himself and his left leg used to just hang across a third of the stairs, what a creature.

He probably now just follows the club on Foxestalk instead

As we all know football, regrettably, is now primarily a business. Football stadia reflects this in that they want to make attending the football such a 'wooly' experience that anyone can attend. Stadiums are designed to dampen atmosphere and reduce the possibility of crowd disturbances to a minimum. In some ways this is good, it makes football less intimidating for families etc. But, it misses the point - the archetypal 'football fan' who has contributed so much in the sports past is being ostracised. It is the 'football fan' who has for years been season ticket holders and travelled away to poor stadia on January evenings that is being neutralised and pushed out. These types don't fit in with the corporate culture that clubs now need to rely on.

Why modern football stadiums can't have separate 'safe standing areas' is beyond me. It would provide an area for football fans who wish to stand, make noise, and enjoy football in the unique way that makes the sport so alluring to many.

This would also mean sitting areas become just that. You would be able to fully endorse 'no standing' in these areas because you now have the choice to stand if you want.

It just makes sense but it won't happen.

I know we've said and heard it all before but I thought this was a terrific post on the Brighton forum:

After reading that statement from the club, I feel extremely disappointed.

I wonder how much Hebbard, Camillin, Barber, etc all know about the concept of safe standing?

The capacity of the North Stand is currently around 2700, current income from these seats is - for the sake of argument - 2700 x £28 per seat per game x 23 games per season = £1,738,800 per season. If these seats were converted to rail seats, this would allow for 4860 (2700 x 1.8) safe standing tickets for standard matches. Let's say the price for a single safe standing ticket was £20 per match, this would allow for an income of 4860 x £20 per ticket per game x 23 games per season = £2,235,600 per season, an increase of nearly £500,000 per year.

Of course, ideally, not just the North Stand would be converted to safe standing, but also perhaps half of the South Stand, so all of the above calculations can be multiplied by 1.5 as an approximation.

The line from the statement: "This is in stark contrast to standing areas where a large percentage of the general football watching population are excluded because they would be unable to actually see the pitch." is slightly confusing, as it doesn't really appear to have any substance or weight behind it. Only around 10-15% of the current capacity of the stadium would be converted to safe standing, giving fans who do not wish to stand a choice of 25,000 other seats to sit in.

As this poll (and every other conducted on the topic) shows, a staggering 90% of fans would like the choice to sit or stand at a football match. Implementing safe standing would not only benefit those who want to stand and currently can't, but those who are seated behind such people and have to either endure a poor view of the game (something the club themselves clearly state they wish to combat) or have to confront the person infront of them asking them to sit down. This can create unnecessary tension between fans and also does so between stewards and fans whom are forced to sit down under current ground regulations.

It is natural for the club to say that it cannot support safe standing at this time, due to it being against FA rules, but no, BHA have to go one step further and dismiss the idea completely without any apparent evidence of further thought. Clubs such as Peterborough, Palace and clubs in the SPL are actively supporting the idea of safe standing as they recognise it is a way of revitalising football, halting its current descent into cold, corporate hell.

Although the club may turn their noses up at the idea of lowering ticket prices, they must accept that they can do so while still increasing long-term profit from a large increase in ticket sales. This would also have the added benefit of being more INCLUSIVE by making supporting the Albion a more realistic and affordable prospect for fans who are currently being priced out by the frankly extortionate prices in the Championship, let alone if we get promoted to the Premier League.

Yes, rail seats actually decrease the capacity slightly for international and European matches, I doubt even an optimistic business plan has aims of getting us into Europe within the next 20 years.

Every time I read the phrase family event atmosphere I think my life expectancy decreases by several hours. Do the club - who wouldn't exist were it for the actions of the fans, Dick Knight, etc - seriously want to turn their back on us on this occasion, possibly alienating some fans in the process? I highly doubt it'd be a wise move.

I think a good course of action would be to try and get some of our more famous fans such as Norman Cook and Des Lynam on our side to support the idea. As shown over the last couple of decades, if the majority of Albion fans want something done, there's a bloody good chance it'll get done eventually.

@Insider, do you think you could 'pad out' some of the opinions of 'the Club' to include some more substantial reasoning. I implore you to try and arrange a visit from the Safe Standing Roadshow, I'm sure they have better persuasive skills that I do and they will have many reasons why it could be beneficial to the club and its finances.

The pressure from fans will inevitably give at some point, even if it's not at the Albion. As soon as one club starts benefitting from the extra revenue gained by safe standing, I'm sure dozens more will follow suit until converting becomes the only realistic way forwards, not only to appease the fans' wishes but as a solid business strategy.

I appreciate I am not really qualified to comment on business strategies, but it cannot cost more than a couple of million to convert to safe standing, some of these temporary losses could be negated by selling some of the seats (or by using them for the North corners instead of ordering more in) and any remaining losses would be wiped out within a couple of seasons due to the extra revenue - I haven't even mentioned that fact that there will be more fans in the ground to spend money on food and drink, and more fans will have more money available to spend due to potentially decreased ticket prices.

I am yet to see one valid (in my eyes) reason to oppose safe standing.

It's a shame, but in BHA's defence it's been a massive struggle to even get a soulless new out of town ground as it is. Compared to playing at the Withdean and Gillingham this place must be heaven for most Albion fans. Not sure what the standing's like there but hopefully common sense will prevail and the stewards allow those who want to stand to do so.

Blackpool have also recently said they don't want to look into safe standing, but generally the campaign's looking positive at the moment. It seems like at least one club a week is coming out in support. Having clubs themselves on board is a major plus.

It's never going to happen guys....football clubs in this country want an audience, not a crowd.

That's not true though is it, because clubs have come out in favour of it, and scotland will have safe standing...its all heading in the right direction, but unfortunately its not the clubs who aren't open to the idea its the government.

Archived