Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Instagram to sell users' photos to advertisers without notification.

BBC

Facebook's photo-sharing site Instagram has updated its privacy policy giving it the right to sell users' photos to advertisers without notification.

Unless users delete their Instagram accounts by a deadline of 16 January, they cannot opt out.

The changes also mean Instagram can share information about its users with Facebook, its parent company, as well as other affiliates and advertisers.

The move riled social media users, with one likening it to a "suicide note".

The new policies follow Facebook's record $1bn (£616m; 758 euro) acquisition of Instagram in April.

Facebook's vice-president of global marketing solutions Carolyn Everson earlier this month had said: "Eventually we'll figure out a way to monetise Instagram."

A notice updating the privacy policy on the Instagram site said: "We may share your information as well as information from tools like cookies, log files, and device identifiers and location data with organisations that help us provide the service to you... (and) third-party advertising partners."

"To help us deliver interesting paid or sponsored content or promotions, you agree that a business may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you," it said in its terms of use.

But Instagram said that its aim was to make it easier to work with Facebook.

"This means we can do things like fight spam more effectively, detect system and reliability problems more quickly, and build better features for everyone by understanding how Instagram is used," it said in a statement.

'Suicide note'

However, the updated policy will not change how it handles photo ownership or who is able to see a user's pictures, it added.

But the new policy has triggered a backlash among social media users, with some threatening to quit.

One user tweeted: "Good bye #instagram. Your new terms of service are totally stupid and nonsense. Good luck playing with the big boys."

New York-based photographer Clayton Cubbit wrote on his account that the new policy was "Instagram's suicide note".

Analysts said that the new policies could deal a blow to Facebook's reputation and alienate some users.

Richard Holway, chairman of TechMarketView, said: "Every time Facebook has altered their privacy policy it has led to a backlash and they've been forced to retreat. They tamper with people's privacy at a cost. People are very upset."

Alan Pelz-Sharpe, research director at 451 Research, added: "It's a barefaced tactic that Facebook and Instagram have taken, and one that will likely meet with many challenges, legally and ethically.

"The fact is that Facebook has critical mass, and is quite confident that such moves may cause uproar, but not a flight of business.

"Larger firms like Facebook are essentially trailblazing before specific regulations can catch up with them, and as we have seen with Google in the past, regulations and laws have limited real impact on their business operations - so they tend to move forward regardless of opposition."

Who gives a ****? Most pictures on instagram are deluded hipsters pulling that stupid ****ing duck-face or having one of those ridiculous finger-taches. It's for people who want to seem like they're good at photography whilst using their mobile phone to take pictures.

The only thing the majority of instagram pictures would be useful for advertising would be 'how to not be an insufferable ****' campaigns.

That and dinners, people love to instagram their dinners too. Boring tossers.

That works the other way as well, doesn't it? Government are all in for this 'we are going to start cutting your internet if you download music' (I know, there will always be a way around it but this popped up in one of my lecture's the other week) but then companies are allowed to pinch photo's for adverts...

Don't get why everyone uploads all their photo's on instagram, facebook, youtube etc anyway. What's happened to privacy? Ok, I know I'm tagged in photo's on facebook (mainly because one of my flatmates puts every photo from the night before on, without even looking at them first), but I'd never dream of banging all my personal photos on (holiday, christmas, football etc), like most of my friends do. Think I might have contradicted myself with that, but I know what I mean!

Saw this on Twitter the other day...

Not really a fair comparison, unless you're selling the music you've downloaded. If someone's using my photos to make themselves a calendar, poster, desktop background or whatever, then fine, be my guest, but if they start selling them then we have a problem. It's not their money to make.

Regardless, Instagram is terrible and I can't see why anyone would buy the shit that's on it.

Not really a fair comparison, unless you're selling the music you've downloaded. If someone's using my photos to make themselves a calendar, poster, desktop background or whatever, then fine, be my guest, but if they start selling them then we have a problem. It's not their money to make.

Regardless, Instagram is terrible and I can't see why anyone would buy the shit that's on it.

Well, both involve taking something which you don't own without paying for it. I'd argue that illegally downloading films and music is worse to be honest - Instagram is a free service, if they've decided to do this, it will all be there in the terms and conditions and if you accept them you are agreeing that they're fine to do this from a legal standpoint. if you don't want them to sell your photos, don't use it any more. Simple as that.

Well, both involve taking something which you don't own without paying for it. I'd argue that illegally downloading films and music is worse to be honest - Instagram is a free service, if they've decided to do this, it will all be there in the terms and conditions and if you accept them you are agreeing that they're fine to do this from a legal standpoint. if you don't want them to sell your photos, don't use it any more. Simple as that.

Oh yes, of course. This'd only be a major issue if they weren't telling users that they were selling their photos. It's just that I don't think that analogy works - you obviously think differently.

Oh yes, of course. This'd only be a major issue if they weren't telling users that they were selling their photos. It's just that I don't think that analogy works - you obviously think differently.

I agree it's a little bit broad - it's just that a lot of people have no problem at all with stealing someone's intellectual property when they download films or music, but they have a real issue with it when the reverse happens to them. A lot of people I know who are bleating about it probably have several hundreds of pounds worth of music and films on their ipads and iphones - it just seems a little hypocritical to me.

Seriously, I don't give a toss if someone decided to sell a photo of me-I don't upload any naked pictures or something daft. People are bleating on about privacy but they seem didn't have any problems with walking around outside and having everyone seeing their faces or getting pissed on a night out.

It is not like they are going to make millions off a picture of myself.

Archived