Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

What age should you stop playing computer games?

I was just thinking about my PlayStation three usage the other day, I usually play one to two hours a day but without uni I would probably play more but I can't see myself still playing in ten years time when I will be in my early thirties and more likely to have a career and kids. Is this actually case for FTers in their thirties or older. What age do you all find your interest has weaned off?

I'm 41 & still have a PS3. I don't really use it a lot for games & use it more for things like Lovefilm, iPlayer, etc. I have most of my music stored on the PS3 & with it plugged into my surround sound, I use it as a stereo. I also use it for playing Blu-ray. But not really games.

They're a handy bit of kit & if I do play games.......it's more likely going to be Tiger Woods, Fifa, Need for Speed, etc - games that you can just pick up & play.

I don't know whether it's my age or the fact that I hardly play them anymore, but I really struggle with FPS........I simply don't have the speed or co-ordination for it. They take me too long to pick up, I get bored & I eventually give up. Going online is a short-lived & totally pointless exercise.

I think once you hit your 20's its a bit sad if you still play them.

And why's that, out of curiosity? I'm 26 and certainly play a lot less than I did when I was a kid but still look forward to a chance to have a few bouts of Call of Duty. The only game I'm likely to get in the next year is GTA V

I think people in their 40's spending days on end on World of Warcraft should probably find something better to do, but a moderate bit of gaming for adults is pretty acceptable these days... I think. As long as you're also nobbing someone regular, like.

I used to play a lot when I was a kid, a lot when I was a teenager at uni too, but I play a lot less now. I love RPGs like Fallout, Oblivion and Knights of the Old Republic. But now that I'm working long hours, full time, I find myself with less free time to play them and with the free time that I do have, I've got better things to do. I used to be able to pay games for 6 hours straight - if I did that now, I'd just be pissed off that I'd wasted a day in essence. It's not that I don't enjoy them any more, it's just that there aren't enough hours in the day!

Having said that, I still regularly play games like FIFA, Call of Duty and Football Manager, as I find they're a bit less demanding - I can play 45mins - 1hr and then put it down and come back later.

To say it's 'a bit sad' to play computer games when you're in your twenties is absolutely moronic. You may as well say it's 'a bit sad' to watch TV, or it's 'a bit sad' to go the cinema. At the end of the day, gaming is an interactive entertainment experience, with most titles aimed at adults. If you think being in your twenties and playing computer games is sad then why are the most popular titles of all time - the Call of Duty series - aimed solely at adults? Of course kids are going to play them too, but that's not the point - they're not the target audience.

You get the same out of playing a computer game as you would from watching a tv show, or watching a movie - in fact, you probably get more out of it mentally than you would from watching TV or movies.

I don't think it's got anything to do with age.

As long as you enjoy PC and video games or as long as you enjoy certain PC or video game titles, play on.

Besides, there's less fancy spare time activities for people above the 30 or 40 age mark.

Collecting stamps, working on railway models, trying to fix things in your house without proper qualification - to name a few. :P

I'm pleased that I can get away still playing it into my thirties then!. As MC Prussian said, there is a lack of viable activities for plus 30 and 40 adults.I can see why the excitement of gaming would easily outweigh the excitement of stamp-collecting if there is even any excitement in it first place! Although I do suspect I would be occupied doing some gardening in summer but in the winter there is not much to do and though I don't mind a bit of Sudoku myself, I can't see a hardcore all day session on it.

To be honest i play games less and less, but i do enjoy a good computer game. It's just that most games are incredibly shallow and simple these days. Thats why I like the football manager games, although we joke about them not being realistic, they are very statistic based and more intelligent than most games.

Never too old. Play them less than I did in my teens but there's a lot of fun to be had with lots of different types of games. Football Manager and Fifa are obvious ones as they're both fun and the subject area is obviously of interest. I prefer more social games now and games nights can be a lot of fun. Get a load of mates online playing Battlefield or Planetside and having a few beers every now and then can be hilarious.

I think once you hit your 20's its a bit sad if you still play them.

What do you enjoy in your spare time out of interest? You're often on your high horse criticising things and generally seeming a bit grumpy, you must get up to some pretty enthralling things.

Why do you think video games after you turn 20 is sad? Why are they any different to reading....or listening to music....or anything really. Personally I believe that knocking other peoples' interests, regardless of what they are, is very immature. The quality of development, plots and gameplay is incredible nowadays. People that criticise such a popular market are either ignorant of this or have a stick up their ass.

What do you enjoy in your spare time out of interest? You're often on your high horse criticising things and generally seeming a bit grumpy, you must get up to some pretty enthralling things.

Why do you think video games after you turn 20 is sad? Why are they any different to reading....or listening to music....or anything really. Personally I believe that knocking other peoples' interests, regardless of what they are, is very immature. The quality of development, plots and gameplay is incredible nowadays. People that criticise such a popular market are either ignorant of this or have a stick up their ass.

Enthralling? Well not sure, travelling round the world on business used to be fun, now rather be at home with my family, not on computer games, soz.

P.s My aunty came round the other day and said I always like coming over you are always smiling........so I guess you cant judge someone from posts on a forum.

Archived