Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

What age should you stop playing computer games?

Most of the people who have "stopped" are probably now in their 30's and 40's and will have limited experience of the growth of the video game industry, 20 years ago computer games were pretty much for the nerds only, but the modern gaming industry is huge and i highly doubt the "xbox generation" will stop completely in adult life.

I used to love it but not as much anymore. I've reached the stage where I don't really enjoy playing on my own anymore, I prefer being with other people having a laugh.

We play a fair bit at uni through boredom, 2 on 2 FIFA, or 4 player COD. Always fit in a few games of FIFA drinking before a night out as well. At the end of the day it's just a good laugh.

I'm 23 and I mostly play Fifa nowadays, but now and then I whip out the old N64 and have a go on a couple of classics from my childhood - Ocarina of Time, Spacestation Silicon Valley, Banjo Kazooie, Super Mario 64 - all good 1-player games that I still find way better than today's games even though I've probably completed them about 5-6 times already.

But I don't think I'll stop playing games anytime soon. I've grown up with three brothers and we were all into our gaming, can't see any reason as to why it will stop. Also, gaming can be great fun when you have a few mates round for some beers or whatever. Mario Kart, Worms and Wrecked: Revenge Rivisited are just a couple of titles that'll get you buzzing.

I'm 41 you know,I like chocolate but it doesn't like me........

Now I never used to be into all the games stuff that much when I was younger,but the 9 year old lad has a ps3.being a really bad parent I let him play 2 games his uncle spoilt him with,that he really shouldn't play,so I act a supervisor .Far Cry 3 and Black ops whatever the number! Far cry 3 just wow,I go upstairs and watch him.Barking out orders and planning assaults( literally)The only way I am responsible is that he can only play the PS3 at weekends for a limited time.This watching is becoming addictive .

Is this nerdish, really bad parenting(I am from good stock) or much worse.

I'm 41 you know,I like chocolate but it doesn't like me........

Now I never used to be into all the games stuff that much when I was younger,but the 9 year old lad has a ps3.being a really bad parent I let him play 2 games his uncle spoilt him with,that he really shouldn't play,so I act a supervisor .Far Cry 3 and Black ops whatever the number! Far cry 3 just wow,I go upstairs and watch him.Barking out orders and planning assaults( literally)The only way I am responsible is that he can only play the PS3 at weekends for a limited time.This watching is becoming addictive .

Is this nerdish, really bad parenting(I am from good stock) or much worse.

Dont think its that unusual tbh Video games are much like movies now, so sitting there and watching someone else play has become pretty popular, especially if you cant afford all the new releases. Theres people making a good living off youtube from this sort of thing now. Your son probably thinks its great that your taking an interest tbh :)

I don't play computer games much at all these days and it's rare that I get hooked to a game like I used to. In the last few years only the Uncharted series and Far Cry 3 have kept me interested till the conclusion. I don't see anything wrong with a quick game of FIFA here and there but when I have kids and they start getting better than me at it, I may well hang up my controller!

Archived