Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

Received my e-tickets for the final day of The Open yesterday.

Really looking forward to it, I haven't been since 2003 at Royal St George's. 

Anyone who's been recently got any tips? I imagine it's changed quite a bit since I last went.

Only 2 of us going, so getting in the unreserved seating around the 18th probably won't be viable, if you can even do that nowadays?

We managed to sneak in to the stand on the last hole all those years ago, long story! 

To get the best experience, should we park ourselves around the green at a particular hole? Follow a few groups around? Stick with one of the leading groups later on? A mixture?

I'll definitely be heading to the practice area and putting green at some point during the day, I find that fascinating to watch and you do get pretty close up to the players.

Anyone else going? 

30 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Very tragic and sudden .

Apparently had been taken unwell .

RIP.

https://www.pgatour.com/article/news/latest/2024/05/25/grayson-murray-obituary

Crikey.

I knew he WD'd yesterday after 3 successive bogeys claiming he felt unwell.

Shouldn't speculate but he's had a history of alcoholism and depression so who knows.

Only 30. Imagine his mates out on the course playing the Charles Swab now and hearing the news :(

• Sad 3

On 22/05/2024 at 21:28, tom27111 said:

Anyone who's been recently got any tips? I imagine it's changed quite a bit since I last went.

Only 2 of us going, so getting in the unreserved seating around the 18th probably won't be viable, if you can even do that nowadays?

We managed to sneak in to the stand on the last hole all those years ago, long story! 

To get the best experience, should we park ourselves around the green at a particular hole? Follow a few groups around? Stick with one of the leading groups later on? A mixture?

I'll definitely be heading to the practice area and putting green at some point during the day, I find that fascinating to watch and you do get pretty close up to the players.

Anyone else going? 

It depends on how many days you are going for or if it is just the final day but our general strategy is as follows:

Pick up a relatively unknown group at the first.  Less crowds will give you more chance to see the course.

On about the 6th, get into a grandstand (or a good viewing spot around the green) stay there for an hour or so, hopefully some of the big names will come through in that time.

Now pick up another group and follow them until about the 12th.  Again, a less well known name will let you see more.  Repeat the process, sit around the green for an hour or so.

Finally follow a group round to 18 and get the best spot you can to watch the finale.

You can, of course, just go straight into the underserved section of the grandstand and be sure of a good view of the winning putt but you miss out on seeing the rest of the course.  If you are only going for one day personally I would go with my plan.

• Thanks 1

On 22/05/2024 at 21:28, tom27111 said:

Anyone else going? 

Posted this last year.

Tips:

Spend some time on the practice ground.

If you want to see the flight of the ball get right behind it. Easier said than done these days with the tees pushed to the boundaries of the property & the number of people allowed behind the ropes.

Wear hiking boots or a proper pair of golf shoes. Dry, shiny grass equally as slippy as the wet stuff.

Dress for the weather.

Consider taking your own food and drink - if you’re allowed. Expensive at the course and queues.

Binoculars or a scope.

If you fancy a break find a stand which will give you views of approach shots, the green and subsequent tee.

If you intend to follow a particular match and they are already on the course walk the course backwards for a few holes until you encounter them. 
Did I say get behind the ball - this is the single most important tip.

13 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Nelly Korda with a 10 on a par 3, leaving her +8 after 4 holes in the women's US Open. Got her work cut out now.

Brooke Henderson equally horrific, with a 10 over round :nono:

32 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Only just read about Grayson Murray, absolutely tragic. RIP.

Presume it was the job pressure that led to his depression? :dunno:

2 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Presume it was the job pressure that led to his depression? :dunno:

Not 100% sure, it's certainly a very demanding and stressful way of life regardless of the glory and untold riches that await the very few.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Not 100% sure, it's certainly a very demanding and stressful way of life regardless of the glory and untold riches that await the very few.

I think he had a few issues generally sadly.

4 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Congrats to Bobby MacIntyre on his 1st PGA win and with his father as his caddie.

Hard guy to watch play though lol

Maybe his Dad  will caddie full time!?

Edited by Super_horns

3 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Congratulations to Robert MacIntyre and his dad - maybe the latter will caddie full time!?

Sounds like it was a one and done.

His dad looked worn out and happy to be headed home lol

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Only just read about Grayson Murray, absolutely tragic. RIP.

So sad.

Guy walked off the course and decided that was a better option.

Lost a favourite family member that way. 

You think a guy who has fame and family and gets to play a great sport for a living and yet the darkness in his head is still too much is absolutely frightening.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, spacemunky said:

No stoppin' Scottie.

His on course earnings so far this year is $24 million

And it's only June

:schlupp: