Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

Pebble Beach is a tough one to call. Hard to get a feel for the tournament till everyone has played all 3 courses, so i may be looking at 4th round inplay betting as a way forward in that tournament.

Typically Spyglass Hills is the toughest on the three course rota, so ideally you DONT want your player playing that course in inclement weather. Monterrey typically plays easiest, but people always suggest back to back weekend rounds at Pebble is also an advantage.

Early prediction is for Snedeker to defend.

Snedeker was high up on my list of selections but haven't like how his played so far this season (When his actually played). Also was going to have a bet on Martin Flores at 320/1.

Jason Day is the fav and would love to see him win

Snedeker has had injury problems, oddly enough after a segway accident. The game looked to be coming around, albeit slowly. A missed cut at Torrey was preceded by a decent 4 round total at the Humana after a slow start. There were good signs at Phoenix with a friday 64, only to blow a decent cheque with a sunday 79 from nowhere.

Flattered to decieve, but Pebble Beach is exactly the sort of place where he can get back on track and win.

Bloody Hell Aiken stuffed it badly!

Least after Round 1 i got on Jimmy Walker at 10/1 after he was -5 after playing the toughest of the 3 courses, didn't have give me a scare down the back nine tho after leading by 6.

Stumbled over the line but got you the dough in the end! but it was uncomfortable to say the least

Snedeker was absolutely nowhere, terrible tip from me

Stumbled over the line but got you the dough in the end! but it was uncomfortable to say the least

Snedeker was absolutely nowhere, terrible tip from me

Never normally bet once they have teed off but 10/1 and was only 1 or 2 off the lead after playing the toughest of the 3 was hard to resist, meant i still managed a profit from the week.

Sterne and Santos started well for me in Europe but then had shockers. Dubission started to play in the last round but all too late.

Alright lads, I'm still not gamblingafter last year but I'm still watching as much golf as I can. I've become a golf tipster for a website and its been a series of near misses.

Last week I'd tipped Bubba who ****in blew it up the last to only return the place money.

This week was even more cruel but got some good returns. Tipped Justin Walters and Aiken in Jo'burg and was confident one of them would get the win after their superb 3rd rounds but they choked. Walters place still paid 43.5/1 but sadly McDowell and Chesson Hadley couldn't get a place at Pebble Beach to land a big double.

I'd recommended Hadley top 10 and top 20 as well as he was huge odds and that came off but it was still a case of so near yet so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, im watching the golf, always do. Interesting to see what changes theyve made at Doral. The old layout was starting to show its age in the modern game, so bringing more water into play and making the course more visually intimidating.

Ive got small £2 each ways on Dustin Johnson (18/1) and Kiradech Aphibarnrat (100/1), Dustin has made a nice start, so we will see how the tournament progresses.

Alright lads, I'm still not gamblingafter last year but I'm still watching as much golf as I can. I've become a golf tipster for a website and its been a series of near misses.

Last week I'd tipped Bubba who ****in blew it up the last to only return the place money.

This week was even more cruel but got some good returns. Tipped Justin Walters and Aiken in Jo'burg and was confident one of them would get the win after their superb 3rd rounds but they choked. Walters place still paid 43.5/1 but sadly McDowell and Chesson Hadley couldn't get a place at Pebble Beach to land a big double.

I'd recommended Hadley top 10 and top 20 as well as he was huge odds and that came off but it was still a case of so near yet so far.

Make sure you keep putting your thoughts and tips up here mate. Always a good read.

Right, I thought i'd set up a thread for folk on here to chew the fat about golf. This thread can be about anything golf related, whether it's professional golf tournaments taking place, betting on such events or playing golf yourself etc.

I will mainly focus my attentions towards the betting element as I only play about 10-15 times a year now and enjoy gambling and drinking more. :)

I'll be posting my weekly selections for the European Tour and PGA Tour, as I mentioned in the betting thread, i've followed a golf betting system website for quite some time and they had an exceptional year last year and were over 250+ points up by the end of 2012, big dough.

This weeks selections are as follows:

Farmers Insurance Open (PGA Tour)

1) Rickie Fowler @ 33/1 2 points e/w

2) Scott Piercy @ 40/1 1 point e/w

3) Jonas Blixt @ 70/1 1 point e/w

4) Bo Van Pelt @ 33/1 1 point e/w

Qatar Open (European Tour)

1) Henrik Stenson @ 22/1 1.5 points e/w (loves it round this course and I love him too. Scandinavian dream)

2) George Coetzee @ 30/1 1.5 points e/w

3) Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano @ 40/1 1 point e/w

4) Thongchai Jaidee @ 45/1 1pt e/w

5) Darren Fichardt @ 200/1 0.5 points e/w

6) Darren Fichardt @ 150/1 0.5 points e/w to be First Round Leader

22 points in total, i'm starting with a bank of 100 points. Let's see how I get on. Feel free to join in.

Hi

I noticed this thread whilst i am a visitor on your site with another subject.

I am wondering if you have any kind of a set up at Leicester City FC similar to ours here, Notts County FC ?. I have been thinking for a while that if the main football clubs in the East Midlands could somehow get together once a year for a golf tournament.

If you feel it is a runner perhaps you could give me a contact on our website  http://www.nottscountygolfsociety.co.uk

Thinking it could be Yourselves, us, Derby County & as much as i dread to say it Forest.

Have a think about it.

Thanks

Valspar is played on a difficult course with a very testing finish. A very good course and not typical Floridian golf.

Im going each ways on two players i think are mispriced, but in good form and possibly due a breakout win:

William McGirt at 100/1

Brian Stuard at 110/1

Ive not backed him (was tempted) but just keep an eye on James Driscoll this week and see how he goes.

Not sure why but i'm convinced that Marc Leishman and Angel Cabrera are going to have big weeks before Augusta coming up. 80/1 and 200/1 respectively is massive odds and although i'm not punting I think they'll go well. Leishman is in ok form this season and will start to turn it up before going back to Augusta where he did so well last year. Bay Hill will suit his game and if his putter is as hot as it can be then I think he'll be in the top half a dozen. Cabrera has been shocking all season but that never seems to bother Pato, he'll turn up when he fancies it and I sense he'll want to see what he's got in the locker ahead of The Masters once again. If he can keep the ball in play then Bay Hill will be a much easier prospect for him.

I am monitoring Sang Moon-Bae a lot this season as the lad is vastly talented and if he could just find some sort of consistency then he'll rip it up. He is threatening some magical golf this season but can't seem to keep it together for 4 whole rounds, something he's struggled with for 18 months now. Mind you he's still managed a couple of wins.

Brandt Snedeker is another whose form has got to turn soon surely? He was 90/1 for a fairly mediocre tournament the other week which astounded me, the bookies proved to be right as he didn't perform at all but I found it highly surprising. Bookies don't tend to offer such generous prices for places with a track record that Snedeker has had in recent seasons purely because they know that his form will return at some point and don't want to be stung with a big price win. He's 66/1 this week and i've got him in mind to go well at Augusta this season after a few near misses there. He'll want some confidence in his game going in to the major so it's worth keeping a close eye on his game in the next few weeks.

Talking of The Masters I was obviously massively lucky to take the chance on Leishman last year at 400/1 and I would be tempted with him again this year but he'll have been cut 3-4 times that i'd suspect. His game is perfect for the place. He's long and accurate off the tee, his iron play is the strongest part of his game and he's a very streaky putter. If it's right on the week then he's a big player. You could question whether he's got the mentality to close out such a big tournament but last year will have done him the world of good.

I am also extremely confident that Bubba Watson will go very close to a 2nd green jacket. He is in some of the best form of his career, which seemed to go a bit sour in the months after he won back in 2012. He had a fairly mediocre year by his standards in 2013 but showed signs of improvement towards the end of the year and has gone bang again this season. He should have won The Pheonix Open and I was furious he seemed to bottle it but he proved it was just a mistake by winning just a couple of weeks later. He's since had another 2nd place finish at Doral which is an incredibly difficult course like Augusta and he'd be my big bet of the tournament if I was still gambling.

I'll be researching The Masters much more in the coming weeks. The new kids Harris English and Jordan Spieth intrigue me but Augusta has proven in the past that experience is usually key. Bubba, Leishman, Snedeker, DJ & G-Mac have all got the criteria for me.

Snedeker looks well off key at the moment, which is strange for someone who over the years has become the epitome of consistency. We know he has a quick tempo but his transition seems even quicker in recent tournaments and he seems to be hitting a lot of shots right, getting in front of them. And in the putting categories where he dominates, he is struggling too. Very very unusual.

With regards to the Masters, words of widson Flair, words of Wisdom. Not since Fuzzy Zoeller has a first timer won at Augusta, and the course is one where "local knowledge" is everything, especially on the greens. Its very rare you get a "surprise" winner in the Masters either, its usually someone seasoned.

Of the two players youve picked out from the new breed, id put Harris English's game ahead of Spieth's long term. For me, English has the sort of game that could tame a US Open. Watched him live a couple of times, Hits a beautiful knuckle fade off the tee, and hes is surprisingly long. Id fancy English over Spieth at the Masters if i had to pick one or the other because English hits a HIGH ball. I think that is a factor that is overlooked on the reverse cut fairways.

Looking at the Bay Hill post Tiger withdrawal, the value seems poor.

Im going each way with Pat Perez (90/1), and an outright on Justin Rose (12/1).

Perez has been working with Joe Mayo aka "The trackman maestro" from youtube in the Palm Springs area and says his ballstriking has been the best its ever been in his career. If he can get the putter hot, and perhaps more importantly keep his head cool, ive got no doubts he could be in the mix come sunday afternoon.

Rose is on the upswing following shoulder tendonitis. Having scored a recent 2nd place finish to Martin Laird at Bay Hill in the past, and having lead through 3 rounds last year, and with his apparent love of Floridian golf, Id expect Rose to go well.

Snedeker looks well off key at the moment, which is strange for someone who over the years has become the epitome of consistency. We know he has a quick tempo but his transition seems even quicker in recent tournaments and he seems to be hitting a lot of shots right, getting in front of them. And in the putting categories where he dominates, he is struggling too. Very very unusual.

With regards to the Masters, words of widson Flair, words of Wisdom. Not since Fuzzy Zoeller has a first timer won at Augusta, and the course is one where "local knowledge" is everything, especially on the greens. Its very rare you get a "surprise" winner in the Masters either, its usually someone seasoned.

Of the two players youve picked out from the new breed, id put Harris English's game ahead of Spieth's long term. For me, English has the sort of game that could tame a US Open. Watched him live a couple of times, Hits a beautiful knuckle fade off the tee, and hes is surprisingly long. Id fancy English over Spieth at the Masters if i had to pick one or the other because English hits a HIGH ball. I think that is a factor that is overlooked on the reverse cut fairways.

Looking at the Bay Hill post Tiger withdrawal, the value seems poor.

Im going each way with Pat Perez (90/1), and an outright on Justin Rose (12/1).

Perez has been working with Joe Mayo aka "The trackman maestro" from youtube in the Palm Springs area and says his ballstriking has been the best its ever been in his career. If he can get the putter hot, and perhaps more importantly keep his head cool, ive got no doubts he could be in the mix come sunday afternoon.

Rose is on the upswing following shoulder tendonitis. Having scored a recent 2nd place finish to Martin Laird at Bay Hill in the past, and having lead through 3 rounds last year, and with his apparent love of Floridian golf, Id expect Rose to go well.

Always good to read your thoughts Donut, I was looking closely at Perez this week too. He's had 3 top tens at Bay Hill in the past and is going fairly well this season. What I find amazing about Pat is he often is right up there as a first round leader but actually does better in tournaments coming from the back of the pack, when he starts well he usually blunders.

I agree with you on English, rate him a lot my only concern for Augusta is that the belief is you must hit a high draw to be successful. I'm not convinced that's the defining factor and Harris hits it high so what difference does the shape make if you are accurate with it. It's about the trajectory going in to those greens rather than the shape of the spin.

Rose will light it up again soon, you can see it starting to turn for him. He made some bad errors last week but he's still very competitive given his injury problems.

I'm also waiting for Henrik to join the 2014 party, after what he achieved last year I can't see him resting on his laurels.

By the way, do you post on the golf betting system group on facebook? You should do mate, me and Socceroo do, it's a good gig on there.

Always good to read your thoughts Donut, I was looking closely at Perez this week too. He's had 3 top tens at Bay Hill in the past and is going fairly well this season. What I find amazing about Pat is he often is right up there as a first round leader but actually does better in tournaments coming from the back of the pack, when he starts well he usually blunders.

I agree with you on English, rate him a lot my only concern for Augusta is that the belief is you must hit a high draw to be successful. I'm not convinced that's the defining factor and Harris hits it high so what difference does the shape make if you are accurate with it. It's about the trajectory going in to those greens rather than the shape of the spin.

Rose will light it up again soon, you can see it starting to turn for him. He made some bad errors last week but he's still very competitive given his injury problems.

I'm also waiting for Henrik to join the 2014 party, after what he achieved last year I can't see him resting on his laurels.

By the way, do you post on the golf betting system group on facebook? You should do mate, me and Socceroo do, it's a good gig on there.

Great to hear from you Flair, and all credit to you for kicking the gambling addiction. Its a hugely dangerous thing we get involved in, and when it crosses the line from being an affordable bit of entertainment into chasing losses and becoming a dependency, it can ruin lives. So fair play for having the courage to confront the issue.

I dont post there currently no, but it sounds great. Anything that brings golf fans together sounds good to me, and ill be posting in the future for sure.

Despite a hugely entertaining tournament, it was a surprisingly poor week at betting week at Bay Hill. Justin Rose never found his mojo over thursday and friday which was uncharacteristic for him, and had to take a weekend off courtesy off the halfway cut. His thoughts no doubt are now shifting the way of the Masters as his health continues to improve.

Pat Perez seemed on course to perhaps deliver a place, with 3 steady rounds of 70 having him poised in the top 10. A slow start on sunday morning wasnt ideal, but to cap a back 9 46 with a horrendous 8 at the last, it was clear that the Perez wheels had well and truly come off.

Moving onto Texas, the Valero Texas Open has been drawing a better and better field in recent years, partly owing to the move to the tough TPC San Antonio golf course, and partly because the event has a much better placing within the PGA tour calendar these days.

In the betting, im going outright on Jordan Spieth at 18/1. Back in his home state, Spieth knows exactly how to play the Texan winds. Stellar performances in his previous HP Byron Nelson appearances back up his comfort level on Texan soil, albeit he missed last years Valero cut in McIlroys company. Spieth is the sort of player that gets every ounce out of his talent on the course and should be a factor on sunday.

Ive also gone for a couple of each ways. Fredrik Jacobson at 35/1 is a pick i like considering the scoring this week wont be super low. Im anticipating a winning score in the region of -12, and Freddie plays tough golf courses well. Like Spieth, maximises what hes got, and rolls the ball well on the green.

I was convinced this must have been a misprice, but the other each way is Briny Baird at 500/1. Ok, so Baird hasnt won in his PGA tour career, but the guy is a walking cash machine and often appears high up on several of the ball striking categories. Align that to the fact that he played well in Sea Island earlier in this season, its not unthinkale that Baird could contend in the top 4, and odds of 500/1 seem crazy for an experienced campaigner.

Edited by Donut

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a pretty good 7 weeks for Austrlaian golf with Day, Eyebrows Bowditch, Senden and now Matty Jones all winning recently on the tour and Scotty should of won a few weeks ago.

Now for my favourite tournament of the year the masters.

It's been a pretty good 7 weeks for Austrlaian golf with Day, Eyebrows Bowditch, Senden and now Matty Jones all winning recently on the tour and Scotty should of won a few weeks ago.

Now for my favourite tournament of the year the masters.

I've been on Matt Jones so many times over the last 18 months. Would I have been on him last week if I was still gambling? Knowing my luck, NO!!! Great from the lad though, backs up my faith in him. Bowditch and Senden were very surprising though as both do my head in. You boys are flying. Time for Leishman to join the party this week :)