Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

I've been on Matt Jones so many times over the last 18 months. Would I have been on him last week if I was still gambling? Knowing my luck, NO!!! Great from the lad though, backs up my faith in him. Bowditch and Senden were very surprising though as both do my head in. You boys are flying. Time for Leishman to join the party this week :)

I would love the Leish to win, at the Preso Cup him and his old man were great down to earth blokes.

• 2 weeks later...

Righty, I've taken up golf (well, trying too).

Did 18 holes about a month ago in 181.

I did the back 9 yesterday is 63, improvement of 27 shots !!!

I've got a new driver and putter, I'm after some new irons, can anyone recommend a decent set for a starter ? I'm not looking to break the bank either though.

I've got a new driver and putter, I'm after some new irons, can anyone recommend a decent set for a starter ? I'm not looking to break the bank either though.

Get on Ebay.

You can easily pick up a set of Ping, Callaway or Cleveland irons that 7 or 8 years ago would have set you back £700 quid for just over £100. 

Just had my clubs sent up to Wales so hoping to get a few rounds in my self over the summer, the courses round where I live are either dog shit or champion though and nothing in between!

Edited by AndWhat?

Youll find plenty of stuff on ebay that will still be in perfectly usable condition.

Two good brands that dont cost the earth would be MD Golf and Wilson Staff to get you started.

• 1 month later...

Kaymer is playing almost flawless golf at the minute, he's a joy to watch. His iron play is vicious, just peppering pins every hole. Very much like Stenson last year. I didn't really see much of this tournament as the World Cup has taken precedent but pleased to see Brooks Koepka in the top 5 as he's been a great story. Young American who rather than go through college golf in the US and go on to the PGATour, he worked his way up from the Challenge Tour in Europe and then on to the European Tour. He's now got temporary status for the rest of this season in the US and this weeks finish must surely secure him full status on either tour next season.

It has taken me far too long to find this thread. I've read every page (yes I'm that sad) and seen some stuff so I'll follow suit:

Never really been coached that much I used to play during the 6 weeks off in summer when I was young and then leave it during winter. Play once a week in winter, average 2-3 times a week in the summer. Coaching wise just have the odd lesson maybe once every 6 months, becoming less and less nowadays. I just try to find my way.

Handicap: 5

Driver: Ping i20

Woods: Ping G10

Irons: Nike CCI 4-P

Wedges: Titleist Vokey (60), Cleveland CG 15 (52)

Putter: Taylor Made Corza Ghost

Lowest round: -5

Only ever had this set of clubs*, the ones before were all hand me downs from my dad and his mates.

*I did have a G10 Driver but the head flew off into the bushes when I hit a drive in a match at Kirby..

Always watch the golf on sky and bet only on the majors, not really the weekly tour events. My major betting record for this year hasn't been too bad I had Bubba at the Masters along with Jimenez who returned lovely e/w money at 175/1 & Stenson returned a few pennies in the US Open.

Seen Beedles Lake mentioned here a few times and played there this evening. Course is in really good condition, despite the fact the green staff can't line up tee markers to save their lives, greens are nice but quite slow.

Definitely a course well worth playing if you haven't, requires decent course management.

The highlight of my level par round being pulling the driver out on 12 & hitting it to 3 feet, rolling it in for an eagle 2. Lovely.

Streelman reels off 7 straight birdies to win the Travelers, mighty impressive golf.

Not a bad way too finish it off, bit gutted as i've been on him a few times this season and his given me nothing. Also happy old mate KJ is back playing some decent golf.

It has taken me far too long to find this thread. I've read every page (yes I'm that sad) and seen some stuff so I'll follow suit:

Never really been coached that much I used to play during the 6 weeks off in summer when I was young and then leave it during winter. Play once a week in winter, average 2-3 times a week in the summer. Coaching wise just have the odd lesson maybe once every 6 months, becoming less and less nowadays. I just try to find my way.

Handicap: 5

Driver: Ping i20

Woods: Ping G10

Irons: Nike CCI 4-P

Wedges: Titleist Vokey (60), Cleveland CG 15 (52)

Putter: Taylor Made Corza Ghost

Lowest round: -5

Only ever had this set of clubs*, the ones before were all hand me downs from my dad and his mates.

*I did have a G10 Driver but the head flew off into the bushes when I hit a drive in a match at Kirby..

Always watch the golf on sky and bet only on the majors, not really the weekly tour events. My major betting record for this year hasn't been too bad I had Bubba at the Masters along with Jimenez who returned lovely e/w money at 175/1 & Stenson returned a few pennies in the US Open.

Its been a long time (far too long) since i visited the golf thread, as i am an avid golfer and enjoy golf betting a lot. I also love these magazine style "in the bag" segments that people do, think i did one earlier in the thread but things have changed a little in the bag:

Handicap: 2 (2.0 Exact)

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 Oban Kiyoshi Purple X Shaft

3 Wood: Ping i15 Ping TFC X Shaft

Hybrid: Titleist 913H Oban Kiyoshi Purple X Shaft

Irons: Titleist AP2 Dynamic Gold X100 Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Spin Milled Vokey 50 (bent to 51), 54, 58 degrees, Dynamic Gold S400 Shafts

Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

Lowest Round: In tournament play 69 on 3 occasions

Favourite Courses (England): Woodhall Spa Hotchkin, Hollinwell, Huntstanton, Seahouses, Seacroft

Favourite Courses (Outside England): Carnoustie, Western Gailes, PGA Stadium Course Catalunya, Oitavos Dunes

Its been a long time (far too long) since i visited the golf thread, as i am an avid golfer and enjoy golf betting a lot. I also love these magazine style "in the bag" segments that people do, think i did one earlier in the thread but things have changed a little in the bag:

Handicap: 2 (2.0 Exact)

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 Oban Kiyoshi Purple X Shaft

3 Wood: Ping i15 Ping TFC X Shaft

Hybrid: Titleist 913H Oban Kiyoshi Purple X Shaft

Irons: Titleist AP2 Dynamic Gold X100 Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Spin Milled Vokey 50 (bent to 51), 54, 58 degrees, Dynamic Gold S400 Shafts

Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

Lowest Round: In tournament play 69 on 3 occasions

Favourite Courses (England): Woodhall Spa Hotchkin, Hollinwell, Huntstanton, Seahouses, Seacroft

Favourite Courses (Outside England): Carnoustie, Western Gailes, PGA Stadium Course Catalunya, Oitavos Dunes

Come and play at Mitcham or Wimbledon Common mate you'll break 65. I shot 67 at Mitcham last summer (par 69) and I'm off 7 when I last had an official handicap.

Ben Martin has been knocking on the door on the PGA Tour and he's 3 off the lead going in to today. Not a very low scoring tournament so it might not be as close as you'd think but if he can get some early birdies then he could be the one to be on.

There's two names I've been watching for the last month or two on the PGA tour, Brendon Todd and Hudson Swafford. Todd has already broken through and had some excellent finishes recently, was even 'contending' at Pinehurst until he stumbled on Saturday.

As for the European Tour, fully expecting Rafa Cabrera Bello to win soon, lead the BMW International Open in Cologne along with Danny Willett for the first two rounds and finished birdie, eagle, birdie on the final day to make and eventually lose the play-off.

The Open next week. Anyone going? I went to Muirfield last year which was exceptional. Gonna try and go on Saturday.

In other news I'm re-joining Hinckley Golf Club after a 13 year hiatus. My aim is to try and get down to 5 by the end of next year.

The Open next week. Anyone going? I went to Muirfield last year which was exceptional. Gonna try and go on Saturday.

In other news I'm re-joining Hinckley Golf Club after a 13 year hiatus. My aim is to try and get down to 5 by the end of next year.

Yes, ill be at the Open. Ill be up there on the Friday after stopping at a New Brighton B&B overnight, getting a game in at Wallasey GC on the thursday.

Royal Liverpool isnt my favourite course on the Open Rota (personal favourite is Carnoustie), but the conditions are remarkably similar from when Tiger 2 ironed his way to victory last time out there. If the course stays bouncy and the weather warm, i could see low scores again, -12 winning score, in that kind of region.

Live golf is a great experience, for anyone who hasnt been to a tour event, GO!!! You get as much as 14 hours to watch on your ticket, and its really exciting, interesting, and humbling to see the level of skill a tour player has. My "tour" schedule this year will be The Open, then down to Wales for the Celtic Manor Wales Open. Ive been to a lot of past events though, it really is great.

Ive often thought, you take a good semi pro footballer, you put him in a professional team say in the championship. He will stand out, his quality will be noticably lower than those around him, but he will get by, he wont disgrace himself. Take a good scratch golfer from your club, or the lowest handicapper you have, if not scratch say 1, 2.....put him on Royal Liverpool under tournament conditions, or on a tour course......he will look totally and utterly out of his depth. The tour pros are just lightyears ahead of anyone, its actually staggering.

Fair play for coming back to the game Ric. I can tell you without question.......when you have that golden day where everything clicks, youll be hooked. Your golfing obsession will begin again.

Anyone betting by the way?

Yes, ill be at the Open. Ill be up there on the Friday after stopping at a New Brighton B&B overnight, getting a game in at Wallasey GC on the thursday.

Royal Liverpool isnt my favourite course on the Open Rota (personal favourite is Carnoustie), but the conditions are remarkably similar from when Tiger 2 ironed his way to victory last time out there. If the course stays bouncy and the weather warm, i could see low scores again, -12 winning score, in that kind of region.

Live golf is a great experience, for anyone who hasnt been to a tour event, GO!!! You get as much as 14 hours to watch on your ticket, and its really exciting, interesting, and humbling to see the level of skill a tour player has. My "tour" schedule this year will be The Open, then down to Wales for the Celtic Manor Wales Open. Ive been to a lot of past events though, it really is great.

Ive often thought, you take a good semi pro footballer, you put him in a professional team say in the championship. He will stand out, his quality will be noticably lower than those around him, but he will get by, he wont disgrace himself. Take a good scratch golfer from your club, or the lowest handicapper you have, if not scratch say 1, 2.....put him on Royal Liverpool under tournament conditions, or on a tour course......he will look totally and utterly out of his depth. The tour pros are just lightyears ahead of anyone, its actually staggering.

Fair play for coming back to the game Ric. I can tell you without question.......when you have that golden day where everything clicks, youll be hooked. Your golfing obsession will begin again.

Anyone betting by the way?

I've still been playing 10-15 times a year or more in London but obviously not been able to join a club due to the obscene money they want and not having the time. I'm moving back to Leicestershire in September so I'm getting back in to it in a big way.

I've quit gambling for nearly a year now. I might coerce my missus in to having a few bets from my fancies though. Hahahahaa

Been having a shocker on golf tipping this year seem to love backing blokes that throw in the standard 78 in one of the rounds. Luckly I'm not a big punter on golf for that very reason.

Looking forward to it but will be on a long weekend bender so little chance to watch it this year.

Just thought id post a few bets that caught my eye in the run up to the open from Bet365:

Tiger Woods to make a top 20 finish 6/5 . Hes been on the sidelines with a back injury for quite a while and made a low key comeback at the Quicken Loans National by missing the cut, but won the Open when it was last played at Royal Liverpool in almost identical conditions. If it stays firm and bouncy, the 2 iron will be out, and when the driver is out of his hands and not needed he looks much more assured. And lets face it, when alls said and done, he IS Tiger Woods.

Jin Jeong top Korean 12/1. There are several talented Koreans playing at the open, none more so than KJ Choi, but Jeong has made a solid start to life as a pro, winning the ISPS Handa Perth in 2013. Add that to the fact that in his only previous Open outing he finished in a tie for 14th and won the low amateur silver medal at St Andrews in 2010, he could be decent value for a good run this week.

Mikko Illonen to beat Ernie Els over 72 holes 10/11. Illonen is in a career renaissance. In good recent form having picked up a win in Ireland recently, a consistent European tour performer who was unlucky not to add the Qatar Masters to his resume earlier in the year. I would expect him to beat Ernie Els' score considering Ernie will be in a marquee grouping less able to tae advantage of calmer morning weather, plus Ernie's putting struggles which have transferred into strokeplay. Played well at accenture but matchplay is a different ballgame and comes into Royal Liverpool cold.

Just thought id post a few bets that caught my eye in the run up to the open from Bet365:

Jin Jeong top Korean 12/1. There are several talented Koreans playing at the open, none more so than KJ Choi, but Jeong has made a solid start to life as a pro, winning the ISPS Handa Perth in 2013. Add that to the fact that in his only previous Open outing he finished in a tie for 14th and won the low amateur silver medal at St Andrews in 2010, he could be decent value for a good run this week.

You can't have an Aussie as top Korean lol

His lived in Melbourne for the last 8 years or so, he almost gave up golf before his win in Perth as he couldn't hit the ball, truly woeful scoring mid 80's and couldn't even get on the Aussie tour for a couple of years there. Good to see he has turned it around a bit tho.

Don't suppose anyone has got Ryder Cup tickets this year have they? I tried and failed. My mate got tickets for the practice day which is a long way to trek just for that. I think the Americans under Watson will be tough this year, not to mention a lot of our older guard (British) aren't quite in the same nick as previous years. Although we always raise our game. Hope Dubuisson and Jiminez make it!