Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

PS4 to be announced?

Am I right in thinking I heard there will be no back compatibility and that games are going to come with a registration meaning once you have used it on one console it will not work on another?

Killing the second hand game market.

Am I right in thinking I heard there will be no back compatibility and that games are going to come with a registration meaning once you have used it on one console it will not work on another?

Killing the second hand game market.

Yep, its not just sony though, the next xbox is going to be the same.

Looking forward to the reveal, people saying it could be out by the end of the year.

Yeah I heard it was going to be out for Crimbo.

Does this game registration thing mean that you can't take your copy of a game round to a mates house and use it on their console? No more lending/swapping games with people?

That's disappointing news.

The one game one console thing will never happen with the PS4 or next xbox. Its touted every single time a new console comes out but never happens. Its just not viable and causes too many issues.

I guess online codes might become more prominent this time around so youll need to pay extra to get online multiplayer etc but thats already in motion this gen so its nothing new.

The one game one console thing will never happen with the PS4 or next xbox. Its touted every single time a new console comes out but never happens. Its just not viable and causes too many issues.

I guess online codes might become more prominent this time around so youll need to pay extra to get online multiplayer etc but thats already in motion this gen so its nothing new.

You say that, but a few weeks ago sony patented a technology to install a micro chip on their blu rays that will register the game/film to your device. It is going to happen, smaller game companys are losing so much on the second hand market that they dont really have much of a choice if they want to keep producing the goods. They havnt said if its specifically for games or films yet, but you can bet if the tech is there that they'll use it.

Think we'll probably find it'l mean discs have a set number of activations, as in you'll be able to register the game / film to say three devices before it wont allow you to any more. Or that the disk will be limited to your PSN account, in which case you could play it round your mates on his console, as long as you were signed in with your account. They have said that they'll only use it to limit certain features in games if they ever come to use it in the PS4, so you wont outright not be able to play the game if you buy it second hand, but certain features won't be available, things like online play, which to be fair we are already seeing now with games like WWE and Battlefield with their 'Online Access Codes'

More info here:

http://metro.co.uk/2...-panic-3337947/

You say that, but a few weeks ago sony patented a technology to install a micro chip on their blu rays that will register the game/film to your device. It is going to happen, smaller game companys are losing so much on the second hand market that they dont really have much of a choice if they want to keep producing the goods. They havnt said if its specifically for games or films yet, but you can bet if the tech is there that they'll use it.

Think we'll probably find it'l mean discs have a set number of activations, as in you'll be able to register the game / film to say three devices before it wont allow you to any more. Or that the disk will be limited to your PSN account, in which case you could play it round your mates on his console, as long as you were signed in with your account. They have said that they'll only use it to limit certain features in games if they ever come to use it in the PS4, so you wont outright not be able to play the game if you buy it second hand, but certain features won't be available, things like online play, which to be fair we are already seeing now with games like WWE and Battlefield with their 'Online Access Codes'

More info here:

http://metro.co.uk/2...-panic-3337947/

He is right, they are certainly thinking about it.

There's no confirmation either Microsoft or Sony will decide to implement the technology though.

Would never buy the same game twice just so me and my brother could both play it. Reckon they could lose millions of sales with that.

I don't think it'll have that big of an effect on sales.

I'm not bothered about it, as it'll keep smaller companies in business

I'm not as excited about the next generation of games consoles as I was about the current gen, so I probably won't be buying it straight away like I did with the PS3 but I will get it eventually because there will be a lot of exclusive games that I will want to get.

I'm pretty sure that a hacker WILL find the way around these restrictions if they get put in place. And then they'll be available to everyone.

Could be the reasons GTA V has been pushed back as well maybe?

Can't see why Rockstar would want the title to go on the old platform if a new one is just round the corner.

Yeah, possibly

I'll be astounded if it's out before 17th September, GTA V will be this generations last hurrah. Also while Sony might be getting their announcement out sooner the overwhelming opinion in the media is that the new Xbox will make the shelves first.

I'll be astounded if it's out before 17th September, GTA V will be this generations last hurrah. Also while Sony might be getting their announcement out sooner the overwhelming opinion in the media is that the new Xbox will make the shelves first.

Yeah I can't see it coming out in September myself and I suppose they have been building GTA V on the current dev machines but you never know. Rockstar will be pissed if it does come out this year though.

I still cant see them implementing this chip thing on games. If one console goes with that and the other one doesnt, guess which one is going to sell more.

And also, once you have finished a game, what can you do with it if its worthless to anyone else? Would we just see millions upon millions of games being thrown away on completion.

The second hand market will eventually die out, i dont disagree. But this will be down to digital distribution of software rather than chips on blu rays etc

• 3 weeks later...

Market demands, we weren't in a recession when the PS3 was released. Plus blu-ray was fairly new back then and I'm assuming it's keeping the same format for discs? If they released the PS4 at initial PS3 prices, which, off the top of my head, was around £500, I can't see there being a huge uptake at first release.

Market demands, we weren't in a recession when the PS3 was released. Plus blu-ray was fairly new back then and I'm assuming it's keeping the same format for discs? If they released the PS4 at initial PS3 prices, which, off the top of my head, was around £500, I can't see there being a huge uptake at first release.

£425

Well it's official, the next playstation isnt going to stop you playing second hand games, but the next xbox is. Also hearing the next xbox wont work unless you have a kinect plugged into it. I know which one im buying now!

Really? Got a link?

Archived