Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AoWW

Lusting after a tablet, but do I really need one? And which?

I like gadgets, and I don't have a tablet, and I'm kinda thinking I want one. But I genuinely don't know the first thing about them.

I spend far, far too much of my time glued to my laptop, but I'm after a smaller, more portable option - but is is a tablet that I really need? :dunno:

Ok, so here's what I want it to do:

Be small enough to carry around with me, pretty much all the time, in a (roomy) handbag (but not be so tiny it's a pain in the arse to use)

Be fairly robust (see above!)

Have a good, clear screen

Able to create and edit standard microsoft docs - Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc

Cope with copious note-taking, lists, etc,

Be able to run some sort of mind-mapping software

Provide quick access to my google calendar, email accounts, etc.

Web-browsing (through wi-fi)

Battery life of 24 hours min (although I'd generally charge it each night).

Watch the occasional TV programme / film

Have some music on (although most of this I'd store elsewhere and I have an i-pod too)

Store some photos on, and show as slideshows

Use as an e-book reader

I'm not sure how used I'd get to using a touch-screen keyboard - so perhaps something where I could connect a 'proper' keyboard accessory?

Have some kind of proppy-up stand thingy (!)

I think that's pretty much it, really. I'm not going to need it for gaming or anything as it'll be used more for work and for its accessibility than for social stuff.

I'm not anti-apple, I'm not anti-android. Sure, I like things that look nice but I'm also after value for money. I'm not feeling a great urge to buy an i-pad unless someone can convince me it would really be much more suitable for my needs than an android option. I've heard about the Samsung Galaxy tab and Nexus 7, are there other/better options?

Oh, do these things have USB ports - I pretty much live my life through memory sticks! :unsure:

thoughts, suggestions...?

Nexus 7 all day. £199, freedom of Android.

I have an iPad mini, it's great, it's light, portable. But it lacks the the things some competitors have, like a HD screen or expandable memory via an SD card, And for £269 for the basic model it's considerably more expensive. Don't ask why I bought one :P I do love it though. I think I just prefer iOS as oppose to the features it does or doesn't have lol

Nexus 7 doesn't have a USB port, neither does the Samsung Galaxy 7. The Samsung is only £149, and has pretty much everything the nexus does, but I guess with the Nexus being made by google itself you'd get the latest updates, software and whatever first.

I suggest just doing a little research lol

I hope this helps, I doubt it though, there's so much choice :P Expensive doesn't always mean better :)

Carphone Warehouse is cheapest for the Galaxy Tab

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/SAMSUNG_GALAXY_TAB_2_7_WIFI_8GB_WHT

I was given an ipad for my 21st, around 2 months ago. I had never asked for one and was quite surprised, I couldn't really think what I'd use it for.

However, it's pretty much a part of my daily life now. I use it for

• Academic diary
  • Reminders of important dates, rent due, assessment dates
  • Coaching notes
  • Training programs
  • Nutrition plans
  • Reading
  • Watch tv and films
  • Listen to music
  • Go through lecture notes
  • Edit my work (however that is using apples software but it converts easily to and from microsoft products)

That's pretty much the main use for mine, I also have knowhow cloud which is connected to my laptop, I save my documents on to it on my laptop and then can access them from ipad, you also have iCloud for the ipad. I know other people use there's for games and stuff, people say I'm quite boring with mine. The one thing I will say is if you do get an ipad, I feel you have to be willing to spend some money on the apps to get the most out of it, not sure if that is the same with other tablets? You get a lot of great free apps but some of the best features cost a little more. As I said I had never really considered getting one before, it was a present from my parents so pretty unaware of the price but I certainly get the most out of it. It is personal preference though, I'd go in to a store and have a play around with some of them.

iPad. You won't look back. Make sure you jailbreak it and the world is your oyster.

Convince me - what's really so much better about it, other than having a cutesy ickle apple logo?

I wouldn't normally bother with such an in-depth post but, as it is, I have a good 40 minutes to kill and nothing better to do! I have an iPad myself, and every single item in your list I just went ""yep, yep, yep, it can do that, that's what it's designed for, certainly"" until I forgot whether I was reading a list of iPad features or what you wanted from a tablet?!

I've had my iPad for little under a year, and prior to purchasing it I was intrigued by them, but never really understood the concept behind why a tablet would be necessary or it's real working purpose; I simply thought it was just a 'show-off' gadget that you could play games on but do little else. After only a few weeks of having it I genuinely could not remember why I ever thought not having one was sensible! The iPad is a fantastic gadget that can be utilised to use in many different contexts; work, entertainment, on the go and just sat on the table. I use my iPad as a tool for pretty much all aspects of what I do on a day to day basis.

At University I use my iPad to take notes in lectures using proper word processing software, and what is great about this is that all of the documents are automatically stored in iCloud. iCloud is a concept whereby the documents are stored on Apple's central servers and so can be accessed on any device that you are using. You can be working on your computer at work, save the file to iCloud and carry on working from where you left off when you get home. No more corrupted memory sticks! When I'm not in a lecture at University, I will sit on campus and use my iPad to browse the Internet and read forums; unlike a mobile phone the iPad is recognised as being a 'computer' and not a mobile device, so the websites are fully featured* and responsive. I am also able to use the iPad's 'Music' app to listen to background music whilst browsing (as you say that you have an iPod the idea of iTunes will not be new to you, so there's no need for me to go into that).

I am also a Treasurer for a local club, and I use my iPad to store all of the balance sheets and records. Again, using proper software that is compatible with Excel and that I can also view on my computer using iCloud.

When at home I will often use my iPad to watch TV in my room when the living room is being took up by my parents watching soaps and other rubbish! I have got an app called SkyGo, which enables me to log into it using my Sky credentials and use my iPad to watch SkyTV as if I was using the Sky remote in front of a TV. You can buy something called Apple TV (a physical device), and with this you can have your TV show the display on your iPad (Sky, videos, internet browser). I am looking into getting this.

That's an overview of how I use my iPad, but the beauty is that each person will use theirs slightly differently. They are not a generic device, they can be customised for you to use in however you want. This, I believe, is what sets the iPad apart from its competitors.

Be small enough
Well you could get the iPad mini, but the normal size iPad is fine. It easily fits into my bag, along with my folders and books. Now whilst my bag is not a handbag, it's certainly not a rucksack. Perhaps you could take a visit to the Apple store and compare the size of one to your handbag. I don't see there being any issues on this front.

Be fairly robust
The iPad was designed to be portable, and with that there would be a certain level of expectation that it would get a few knocks here and there if it is always being moved. Mine is in my bag along with heavy books and there have been no issues. I am confident walking around with it in one hand whilst using it 'on-the-go' and it is not heavy that I fear it's about to drop if I don't give it my full attention.
The price of the iPad also goes some way to showing that Apple do not use cheap tacky material inside the iPad, which is also shown in Apple's confidence that if it does go wrong they will replace it for you.

Have a good, clear screen
I don't have the retina display iPad, and my screen is pretty clear. I have certainly never thought that it's too dark or the resolution is blurry. However, having seen an iPad with retina display they are fantastic. The image is so crisp it's good enough to perform photo editing, should you have that desire. If you can afford it, then I'd get the retina display but you wouldn't be disappointed with the display on the iPad 2.

Able to create and edit Microsoft documents
Apple's own version of Word, Excel and PowerPoint is Pages, Numbers and Keynote. All can open and edit files in their Microsoft counterpart file formats, and you can comfortably create documents from scratch from your iPad. As I said, I use Pages and Numbers a lot but I've not had the need to use Keynote. I was going to mention the price, but then take into account how much you pay for Microsoft Office.

Note-taking and lists
You can use the built-in '˜Notes' app for note taking, and there is an app called '˜Reminders' which you can also use for list taking. Each item can be created on a new line and when you have completed it just tick the box next to it and it moves to a '˜Completed' section. I use this for shopping list (albeit on my iPhone and not my iPad).

Mind mapping
As Apple say, 'there's an App for that!', and here it is; iThoughts.

Quick access to Google calendar and email
Couldn't be simpler! Just go to settings, mail and calendars, select Gmail and put in your email and password. The stock calendar app on your iPad runs alongside your Gmail one and you can view your appointments from within that! The mail app also includes emails from Gmail account, and when they are read on your iPad they'll be shown as read on the Gmail account too.

Web browsing
As I mentioned earlier, perfect. You can put the iPad on it's side and it's like a computer monitor it's great.

Battery life of 24 hours min
Speaking from experience, my iPad sees quite heavy usage and I only charge it overnight around twice a week. Doesn't take too long to charge, either.

Have some music on
You can use iTunes to put music onto your iPad the same as you do for your iPod

Store photos on, and show as slideshows
Use iTunes to put photos on and from within the photos app you can choose to show as a slideshow (whether it be all photos or just albums) and you can customise how they fade, after how many seconds as well. From the lock screen on the iPad there's also a button that you can press to start a slideshow from your photos.

Use as an e-book reader
There's an app called iBooks which you can use as a reader. You can use 'Bookmarks', and there are books that are free and paid. They store as if they are on a bookshelf and look nice.

Proper keyboard
There are many Bluetooth keyboards that you can buy, ranging from standalone ones to ones that are built into a case for your iPad. You'd have to shop around and see which would suit you most.

Proper stand thing
It's called a a Smart Cover or Smart Case. It's magnetic so you can twist it so it either stands up, is raised slightly on your desk (good for typing and browsing the web) and it also acts as a cover to protect your screen (when not in use) or the back when it's on the table.

Should you so desire, you can also jailbreak your iPad to unlock the operating system and install various tweaks to spice up how you interact with the operating system. Jailbreaking is far from necessary though, the stock iOS is fantastic. I jailbreak my iPhone for a variety of customisations, but my iPad is more of a tool than a gimmicky device so I leave it as it is.

So there you go, it took me just over 45 minutes to write and now I'm off because that's the time I had to kill, killed! I hope you read it and any questions please do ask. My aim wasn't to put you off Android, as I'm not qualified enough to do so, but to explain why and how I use my iPad, and that I think the iPad will more than meet your requirements.

*Apple's products do not include Flash Player, this will only affect old-fashioned websites. For more information, if it interests you, there's a very good explanation here

I wouldn’t normally bother with such an in-depth post but, as it is, I have a good 40 minutes to kill and nothing better to do! I have an iPad myself, and every single item in your list I just went “yep, yep, yep, it can do that, that’s what it’s designed for, certainly†until I forgot whether I was reading a list of iPad features or what you wanted from a tablet?!

Thanks for your in-depth, and very helpful post. I'm certainly not ruling out an i-pad and it does sound from what you've said that it'd do what I need it to do.

I think I really need to get myself to a few stores to see the various options 'in the flesh' but I do like to do my research online first, look at reviews etc, rather than relying on some numpty salesman in the store who knows even less than I do!

:thumbup:

I wouldn’t normally bother with such an in-depth post but, as it is, I have a good 40 minutes to kill and nothing better to do! I have an iPad myself, and every single item in your list I just went “yep, yep, yep, it can do that, that’s what it’s designed for, certainly†until I forgot whether I was reading a list of iPad features or what you wanted from a tablet?!

You've just convinced me. lol

Nexus 7.

Don't read into anything else, there's no point.

The only thing that puts me off this.. is the fact it don't have a camera at the back.

The iPad is till just about the best tablet out there but it has been caught up with in the last year. The Nexus 7 is decent and the Samsungs have some features that the iPad isn't close to doing, plus their 3rd gen is out soon so that might overtake the iPad. It's just like phones really, people are going to recommend what they have but Im not one of these Apple lovers but I didn't think twice before buying my iPad Mini.

The only problem with the iPad Mini is the lack of Retina Display, not sure when the Mini 2 will address this

I wish I'd never discovered that these http://www.techradar...#articleContent exist.

Admittedly, it's the aluminium and concentric circles that's the big attraction. :blush:

>_<

Got one of them, very good tablet, but in reality all android tablets are much of a muchness on the inside. The Asus keyboard dock is good, but all tablets you can buy a keyboard accessory for, the advantage with the Asus is it is also a extra battery, so you can go 15 hours without charge, but you can always buy a portable battery pack.

Things to think about is the quality of the front facing camera, if you are using skype a lot you want a decent one, the Samsung Galaxy had good ones, quality of speakers and microphone as well, the screen resolution is largely irrelevant the Ipad may have the best screen resolution but you will have no problem with any other make's resolution.

My Parents have a Samsung Galaxy Note, and that comes with a pen that you can use to give you more accuracy and has some quality apps pre-loaded such as Photo-shop touch and smart remote so you can use it as a remote control, it also has a split screen feature with some apps that allows you to do 2 things at once, which is something that other tablets don't, and cut and paste things easily from the web into S-note. Of all the tablets I have seen this is probably my favourite if only for that split screen option, the pen is also handy and saves getting finger smears all over it.

The difference between an Ipad and an Android tablet is really only one of compatibility, if you have an iphone or an ipod and itunes, then it does make more sense to get an ipad, but if you have an android phone you can sync it with your Android tablet easily.

Ultimately you are not going to be disappointed with any Samsung, Asus or Ipad, they are all great bits of kit.

Having read DB11's essay on the Ipad, I can assure the top range Android tablets are just as good in terms of the software, listening to music, pictures, browsing, durability, battery life microsoft documents etc, there are slight differences, but you won't be disappointed in any of them, they are all capable of doing what you require.

Never really been an afficionado of Apple products (always a Creative Zen ahead of an ipod, always an Android phone ahead of iPhone), but I absolutely love the iPad. For me, it's still ahead of other tablets (and I've tried plenty).

Having said that, I hear great things about the Nexus tablets, just a shame for me that the Nexus 7 doesn't have a rear facing camera which we need at work.

Archived