Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AoWW

Lusting after a tablet, but do I really need one? And which?

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/microsoft-surface-rt-1085839/review

How about this AOWW?

Dedicated windows tablet, so perfect for Excel, PowerPoint, Word etc..

Comes with a physical keyboard

And a little proppy up stand thingy as you put it ;)

Oh, and a full size USB port :)

Front and rear camera :)

Only thing lacking is the amount of apps in the Windows store, obviously it's nowhere near Apples App Store or Androids Google Play, but it is growing :)

Not as good as an Ipad but I bought my gf a Kindle Fire from Carphonewarehouse couple months back for £98 new which I thought was a good price. Only thing I dislike about it is the Sky Go ap is not compatible with it. My Gran shown me 1 she had bought just after from Lidl for £80 and I just laughed when I had a go on it absolute crap

Not as good as an Ipad but I bought my gf a Kindle Fire from Carphonewarehouse couple months back for £98 new which I thought was a good price. Only thing I dislike about it is the Sky Go ap is not compatible with it. My Gran shown me 1 she had bought just after from Lidi for £80 and I just laughed when I had a go on it absolute crap

Lidl? lol lol lol

• 1 month later...

On the verge of getting the iPad with retina display - spent ages today trying out different tablets and I'm pretty much convinced this is what I'll go for. I'd rather get it from the Apple Store or Stormfront, though, rather than PC World!

I still have one big "issue", though, and I'm hoping some iPad owners on here might be able to offer some suggestions / solutions. It's the lack of a USB port - and the fact that I have numerous memory sticks that I pretty much live my life through. I spend much of my time at work moving from one PC/laptop to another (all Windows), plus I use my home laptop (Windows) and really need to be able to access my documents (mainly Word, Excel, Powerpoint) from all of them - hence the reliance on memory sticks. I'd like to be able to access them from the iPad too, but that seems to be where I come unstuck. I do sometimes use my Box cloud storage so I'm thinking that could be the best option, but it's going to be a pain in the arse transferring all my files onto there and then remembering when I've updated one, etc, etc. The chap in PC World was saying I could buy a Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader Adapter, then store my files on a SD Card instead of a memory stick and transfer them to the iPad that way but I'm far from convinced that would work with anything other than photos?! :unsure: Are there any other suggestions?

Also I'm heard people talking about 'jailbreaking' their iPod. Why would I want (or need) to do this? Is it really worth it and, if so, how would I go about it? :S

jailbreaking is great and it's now so easy that you don't need anything, aside from downloading the actual file which does the jailbreak. you literally hit a button and wait, the program does everything else. i've got the current jailbreak on my iphone and ipad and it's been the most easy to install and most stable yet.

i have the original ipad, i got it when i was in the states on holiday and it had just been released. i rarely used it to be honest, until i got it jailbroken and took it with me when i went travelling for eight months or so. my mate took his laptop, i took the ipad as i didn't fancy carrying my laptop around with me. i was able to pretty much do anything on that, that i could have used my laptop for. i was able to download movies/music/books to watch/listen/read on long flights, bus journey's etc. i used it to stay in touch with friends and family back home. i even managed to update my cv on it (word document) and save it/use it to apply for jobs when i was inside my last couple of weeks away. plus, the sheer amount of tweaks you can get now is brilliant. if you get an ipad, to me it's the best tablet out there and the only one worth getting. yes, it's more expensive but i think like most things apple makes, they are just so intuitive and easy to use, that you'll struggle to want to use anything else. and if you do get an ipad, then jailbreaking it to me is now a no brainer. it opens up the true potential of the ipad.

i know i've not answered a lot, if any, of your questions. but i hope it was interesting enough. if/when you get the ipad and you want any jailbreaking tips/tweaks, let me know. happy to help! :)

jailbreaking is great and it's now so easy that you don't need anything, aside from downloading the actual file which does the jailbreak. you literally hit a button and wait, the program does everything else. i've got the current jailbreak on my iphone and ipad and it's been the most easy to install and most stable yet.

i have the original ipad, i got it when i was in the states on holiday and it had just been released. i rarely used it to be honest, until i got it jailbroken and took it with me when i went travelling for eight months or so. my mate took his laptop, i took the ipad as i didn't fancy carrying my laptop around with me. i was able to pretty much do anything on that, that i could have used my laptop for. i was able to download movies/music/books to watch/listen/read on long flights, bus journey's etc. i used it to stay in touch with friends and family back home. i even managed to update my cv on it (word document) and save it/use it to apply for jobs when i was inside my last couple of weeks away. plus, the sheer amount of tweaks you can get now is brilliant. if you get an ipad, to me it's the best tablet out there and the only one worth getting. yes, it's more expensive but i think like most things apple makes, they are just so intuitive and easy to use, that you'll struggle to want to use anything else. and if you do get an ipad, then jailbreaking it to me is now a no brainer. it opens up the true potential of the ipad.

i know i've not answered a lot, if any, of your questions. but i hope it was interesting enough. if/when you get the ipad and you want any jailbreaking tips/tweaks, let me know. happy to help! :)

can you tell me what to downlad to iailbreak my iphone? cheers

On the verge of getting the iPad with retina display - spent ages today trying out different tablets and I'm pretty much convinced this is what I'll go for. I'd rather get it from the Apple Store or Stormfront, though, rather than PC World!

I still have one big "issue", though, and I'm hoping some iPad owners on here might be able to offer some suggestions / solutions. It's the lack of a USB port - and the fact that I have numerous memory sticks that I pretty much live my life through. I spend much of my time at work moving from one PC/laptop to another (all Windows), plus I use my home laptop (Windows) and really need to be able to access my documents (mainly Word, Excel, Powerpoint) from all of them - hence the reliance on memory sticks. I'd like to be able to access them from the iPad too, but that seems to be where I come unstuck. I do sometimes use my Box cloud storage so I'm thinking that could be the best option, but it's going to be a pain in the arse transferring all my files onto there and then remembering when I've updated one, etc, etc. The chap in PC World was saying I could buy a Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader Adapter, then store my files on a SD Card instead of a memory stick and transfer them to the iPad that way but I'm far from convinced that would work with anything other than photos?! :unsure: Are there any other suggestions?

Also I'm heard people talking about 'jailbreaking' their iPod. Why would I want (or need) to do this? Is it really worth it and, if so, how would I go about it? :S

You can use iCloud to access your documents (automatically saves it to the cloud as you work!), or edit them directly from the Cloud (if using another provider). This way you don't need to remember which the latest edition is as it will always be the one in the cloud. To connect a USB to your iPad you'd have to buy an adapter. I think to use it to its full potential you'd also have to jailbreak the iPad.

I disagree. I would say that this jailbreak is the most unstable yet, my iPhone 5 is continually crashing. Nothing more than a minor annoyance but the jailbreak is by no means stable.

can you tell me what to downlad to iailbreak my iphone? cheers

It's no secret. Go to iDownloadBlog, or more specifically the jailbreak section

• 2 weeks later...

Gave up working out justifications and just bought a 2nd hand Xoom as a toy :)

Enjoying playing with it, but still cant quite work out why ive got it :)

handy for running streaming games etc while im exercising

are Nexus' (or anything non Apple) tablets compatible with Itunes and music/games downloaded on Itunes? And mac computers...? Ta

I don't think anything is compatible with stuff downloaded through iTunes, except iTunes, I think there used to be away to unlock or copy these files, but I don't know if that still exists and if it does it is probably illegal.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think anything is compatible with stuff downloaded through iTunes, except iTunes, I think there used to be away to unlock or copy these files, but I don't know if that still exists and if it does it is probably illegal.

This is why i refuse to use anything Apple.

Archived