Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Blackberry Z10

I got a Z10 on the day it launched last week, and I really like it. It's nothing like any previous BlackBerry.

For one thing, it's the fastest phone on the market at the moment. You only have to look at all the YouTube videos comparing the Z10 with the iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, Windows Phone and others to confirm this, for example here:

I particulary like the BlackBerry Hub, which consolidates all your messages from whatever source: text messages, emails, BlackBerry Messenger messages, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc.

The Time Shift mode in the camera is great too. i don't think any other phone offers this currently. In this mode, when you press the shutter release the camera takes a series of shots in quick bursts. You can then edit the resulting picture. The camera will automatically detect faces and you can home in on each face and wind backwards and forwards in time and choose the best moment. For example, if someone has their eyes shut, you can wind back to a moment when they had their eyes open, then save the picture.

Of course, there are a few oddities, but nothing serious so far as can see. It is the first release of a new operating system after all and I'm sure it will evolve.

Regarding the outage last year, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I was a BlackBerry user at the time and was barely affected. Other service providers have had far worse and more frequent outages.

Up to you entirely of course, but likewise, I would never switch from BlackBerry to an iPhone, Android or Windows phone, or any other, especially now I have a Z10; it's got too many good things going for it that i would miss.

Phone companies are always going to leapfrog each other. As fast as one introduces something innovative, other companies will develop something similar or better. For example, I'm sure that a faster phone than the Z10 will soon come along, but I don't really care so long as the phone I have does a job for me and is broadly comparable with whatever else is out there. At the moment the Z10 scores highly on both counts for me. Each phone will have its day in the sun, a bit like football teams really....

If you haven't already seen it, this comparison by Stephen Fry of the top five phones currently available is interesting:

http://www.stephenfry.com/2013/01/31/the-fire-question/single-page/

Had a blackberry bold 9000 and just did not like it at all, found the market place was far too basic and the phone only had business in mind... Saying that it was a fair while ago.

I've got a galaxy s3 now, switched from an iPhone 4 and I've got to say the S3 is just awesome. Totally customisable and does everything I want and much more.

After becoming a force in the 1980s, Apple nearly went out of business in the 1990s, yet look at them now (even though they appear to be on the wane recently). I see no reason why BlackBerry (they're not called RIM any more) can't bounce back, especially now they have a phone to rival anything else on the market. For one thing, I must say it is is nice to see a relatively small Canadian company fighting back against the marketing muscle of the American giants (Apple, Google, Microsoft). It's a pity we British don't have a company such as BlackBerry, preferably headquartered in Leicester....

Archived