Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SystonFox

External HD?

I'm looking to purchase myself an external HD. I've been browsing the web all day and its a much of a muchness for me. how does one choose?

ideally it'll be to store downloaded movies on (all legal!) and my music collection to free up some space on the laptop. do i need 1tb or is it worth spending a bit more for 2tb or maybe even 3tb? i dont have a budget as such but looking at prices i'd like to spend less than £100.

and what is the difference between a "portable" HD and an "External HD" is it just that one comes with a power supply and the other doesnt? does it even matter?

thanks in advance for your views

Yeah depends whether you want to move it about or keep it on a desk. That should answer whether you want a portable or not.

I've got a couple of 2TB Western Digitals that just sit on the desk. One for my Mac's Time Machine and one for general media. For the money you may as well go 2TB but you'll probably never fill it, I think I'm about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through mine and I've got a fair bit of work on it too.

Get a NAS drive you might regret it in the future if you don't.

As I understand it's about 80 hrs of HD video per TB - music wise, that amount would store a silly amount of songs, getting on for quarter of a million.

Not if you save them as flac...

Get a NAS drive you might regret it in the future if you don't.

Not if you save them as flac...

No, but still more than enough room for an average music collection (which is apparently 178 albums - but I know very few people that own that many. Think they're put out of kilter by those of us who have several hundred or thousands)

Thanks for the quick replies

My friend was talking about ones with or without a power supply. does portable mean it wont have a power supply? and does it matter? thanks

A portable one runs off of USB power alone, so you can keep it in your bag. One with a power supply (runs off mains power so a plug and one USB for data transfer) is bigger and bulkier and is designed to sit on your desk and never be moved. The data transfer time is quicker on these but these aren't really able to be moved between home/work or put in a laptop bag.

I would avoid Western Digital because they have a high failure rate. Source: personal experience working in computer repair shops. Sea gate is a good make.

Explain what a NAS drive is please?

It's an external hard drive (not very portable though) that you can plug into the phone port for your intenet. I use mine to stream my music so there is no need to have my computer running all the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage

Might not be what you are after. But as I said i use it as a server for all my wifi connected machines.. laptop, Phone, sonos etc.

does anyone know how to convert my external hd from exFAT / NTFS to fat32? without using an external programme if possible. thanks

just stick it in your computer, goto my computer... right click on the External HD > format > this will allow you to change the file system and then hit Format.

Western Digital drives are notoriously unreliable. Mine gave up the ghost after 6 months. Total waste of money. I recently got a G Technologies drive, which looks the business and is extremely solid - can be found on the Apple website - very pleased with it. 2TB was about double what you'd pay for a WD, and for a good reason.

My two 4TB MyBook Studio Edition II WD hard drives have been running for a year (second one) and three years (first one) now, and I've never encountered any issues at all.

My guess is you've been either very unlucky or didn't handle them with the necessary care.

Obviously not everyone has problems with them, but when I had issues with mine I found tonnes of forums and posts moaning about them. Also, reading through some of the 1* reviews on Amazon tells this too.

I use mine for my business, so this time I spent extra to get something more resilient, but WD would be fine as a home back up I'm sure.

Correct there is no date to lose!

But

It doesn't give me the option to format to fat32 but I know there is a way I just don't know it. The only forms it lets me format to are either NTFS or exFAT both which aren't recognised on the Xbox 360

Archived