Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

The Last of Us

Like the look of this alot. Is it a buy or rent though? Hate buying games when you complete it in a week.

I'm not sure how much replay value it has after you've finished. I guess once you know the story, it may lose some of it's appeal.

The multiplayer is apparently quite good though, but it's not really my thing. 

Just completed it. Best game I've played in ages and will certainly give it a couple more plays through and the online multiplayer mode is decent. Brilliantly written characters that kept me engrossed from start to finish

I'm just at a snowy dear hunter bit (not too much of a spoiler) how much longer do I have to go?

Still a fair way to go yet :thumbup:

Yup. If you love the Unchartered games you will love this, Also the story mode isnt as short as alot of games

Played Drake's Fortune and enjoyed that, although as you suggest the story was quite short. Tempted to just get the second Uncharted and wait for the price to drop for this.

Absolutely loved this game. The story was engrossing, the graphics were awesome, the melee fighting was entertaining and the character development was one of best I have seen in any game. Naughty Dog are quickly becoming one of my favourite developers. 

Finished it today, will play through again on hard.

I was almost in tears again when Joel was carrying Ellie out of the hospital! Also loved the bit with the giraffes, very touching.

Heard alot of people bitchin' about this game being abit too much about the cinematics and watchability over the gameplay and dynamics, sayin it shouldnt be the way forward for major game titles in the future  .  .  .   . obviously reading this here tho, that isnt the case lol

But yeah, any thoughts about that?

And ive been looking across quite avidly at this release as Im on 360 and this is a PS exclusive, I'll probably get it in a couple years when its cheap as and get it written down in a notepad for note in future

Heard alot of people bitchin' about this game being abit too much about the cinematics and watchability over the gameplay and dynamics, sayin it shouldnt be the way forward for major game titles in the future  .  .  .   . obviously reading this here tho, that isnt the case lol

But yeah, any thoughts about that?

And ive been looking across quite avidly at this release as Im on 360 and this is a PS exclusive, I'll probably get it in a couple years when its cheap as and get it written down in a notepad for note in future

It does have a fair few of them but it's got more than enough gameplay the only fault with this game is the A.I sometimes they turn into retard boy! Literally just finished tho such an amazing story good ending but annoyed as i felt like i wanted it to carry on hopes theres a number 2. oh yeah if anyone wants to party up for online add me jazzer2k8

lol Ridiculous how much Naughty Dog blatantly stole the script for Bioshock 3 in development and went "yeah, we'll do our own one of these!"

Good game, though. Controls were diabolical at times but that was largely the fault of an awkward, out-dated pad. Looked nice, handled nice most of the time, liked the general idea of the gameplay even if a few things were a bit annoying (a guy was clearly shooting me with a gun yet... I can loot nothing from him, even though I don't have a gun! C'mooon.) 

Brilliantly voice acted, lovely to look at, mostly very well characterized, cracking dialogue scripts and - like Elizabeth in Bioshock - Ellie was never a burden or a chore.

It was all going smoothly, right up until the end. Largely disappointed.

Not because Joel made a morally ambiguous decision in murdering his way through a hospital of people trying to throw off a tyrannical government and re-build society and find a cure; but because he suddenly went batshit crazy at the end and lied about it. Then starts jibbering on telling stories about how Ellie and Sarah - who he barely talks about EVER - would be best of friends! He goes from being this terse, rugged anti-hero to being Stephen Kings' Annie Wilkes in the blink of an eye.

We get that he's struggling with the idea of losing a second daughter figure but nothing in the game up until that point has hinted that he's a delusional and entirely self serving maniac. It's fair to say that it's hinted at thoroughly throughout the game that Joel has been on both sides of not just the government's laws but the unwritten ethics of society, too, he says himself he's been a former bandit and hijacker to get by. All of that made it perfectly believable to butcher our way through the last level in order to save a girl he'd been duped in to delivering to her slaughter but then there's also huge moral ambiguity in Marlene tricking both Ellie and Joel by declining to mention the girl would have to die for the cure.

By all means fight to get her back but then at least present her with a choice! Or, if you have to, leave it ambiguous and let the player decide their own interpretation of a slightly more open ending. 

I'm not someone that needs to have a happy ending. I also quite like the modern trend in making the player question their relationship with the player-character but this wasn't really about tricking you to be the bad guy all along it was just making you play a hardened anti-hero for a while and then go "oh yeah, he's a cowardly nob. In your face." in the last two seconds. There's no clever realization that "ooooh yeaaaah" he was a fruitcake all along it was just a quick, last minute thumb in the eye that didn't really make much point at all.

It was more deflating and disappointing than Daniel Craig's left-field and unnecessary execution at the end of Layer Cake. That left me almost equally flat. I don't feel gutted or sad or touched or angry, I just feel completely non-plussed and I highly doubt that's what Naughty Dog were looking for.

Bioshock 3 left me stunned. This left me wishing I'd played 90% and the disk had been stolen.

Otherwise a stunning game.

Rant over.

Oh and how the **** is everyone pointing out (quite rightly, to be fair) that Ellen Page has blatantly been stolen for this game whilst largely failing to observe that Gerard Butler is so quite obviously the lead character that he's probably got more grounds to sue than EP!!

lol Ridiculous how much Naughty Dog blatantly stole the script for Bioshock 3 in development and went "yeah, we'll do our own one of these!"

Good game, though. Controls were diabolical at times but that was largely the fault of an awkward, out-dated pad. Looked nice, handled nice most of the time, liked the general idea of the gameplay even if a few things were a bit annoying (a guy was clearly shooting me with a gun yet... I can loot nothing from him, even though I don't have a gun! C'mooon.) 

Brilliantly voice acted, lovely to look at, mostly very well characterized, cracking dialogue scripts and - like Elizabeth in Bioshock - Ellie was never a burden or a chore.

It was all going smoothly, right up until the end. Largely disappointed.

Not because Joel made a morally ambiguous decision in murdering his way through a hospital of people trying to throw off a tyrannical government and re-build society and find a cure; but because he suddenly went batshit crazy at the end and lied about it. Then starts jibbering on telling stories about how Ellie and Sarah - who he barely talks about EVER - would be best of friends! He goes from being this terse, rugged anti-hero to being Stephen Kings' Annie Wilkes in the blink of an eye.

We get that he's struggling with the idea of losing a second daughter figure but nothing in the game up until that point has hinted that he's a delusional and entirely self serving maniac. It's fair to say that it's hinted at thoroughly throughout the game that Joel has been on both sides of not just the government's laws but the unwritten ethics of society, too, he says himself he's been a former bandit and hijacker to get by. All of that made it perfectly believable to butcher our way through the last level in order to save a girl he'd been duped in to delivering to her slaughter but then there's also huge moral ambiguity in Marlene tricking both Ellie and Joel by declining to mention the girl would have to die for the cure.

By all means fight to get her back but then at least present her with a choice! Or, if you have to, leave it ambiguous and let the player decide their own interpretation of a slightly more open ending. 

I'm not someone that needs to have a happy ending. I also quite like the modern trend in making the player question their relationship with the player-character but this wasn't really about tricking you to be the bad guy all along it was just making you play a hardened anti-hero for a while and then go "oh yeah, he's a cowardly nob. In your face." in the last two seconds. There's no clever realization that "ooooh yeaaaah" he was a fruitcake all along it was just a quick, last minute thumb in the eye that didn't really make much point at all.

It was more deflating and disappointing than Daniel Craig's left-field and unnecessary execution at the end of Layer Cake. That left me almost equally flat. I don't feel gutted or sad or touched or angry, I just feel completely non-plussed and I highly doubt that's what Naughty Dog were looking for.

Bioshock 3 left me stunned. This left me wishing I'd played 90% and the disk had been stolen.

Otherwise a stunning game.

Rant over.

Well considering bioshock released a few months ago i don't know how it's possible to have stolen there script :S also they dont give you ever gun that drops because they actually want the gameplay to be a challenge.

I'm aware they didn't ACTUALLY copy Bioshock, I wasn't being literal and to iterate I do actually like both games. I just found the ending a little bit disappointing.

As for the gameplay being a challenge, if you can't balance gameplay without breaking suspension of disbelief then you're a poor games manufacturer. During Ellie sections, for example, there was one run where just about every zombie - which by survival horror law I could (and maybe should) have been encouraged to simply sneak around was inexplicably dropping rifle rounds to make sure I was always replenished and never short.

However, an hour or so later, I was having to sneak through a blizzard with the poor girl murmuring "I need to find a gun!" whilst I stabbed to death three or four successive bandits - none of whom "dropped" the rather obvious pistols they were carrying. 

It's the little things. 

That said, this isn't a game in which the gameplay takes centre stage and so I readily put most of those niggles to one side and just enjoyed the scenery and the characterization for the first 95% of the game. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone and I'll curiously wait to see whether or not they deliver a sequel that:

Gives the Joel they borderline ruined a chance to actually make amends for a mad five minutes that scuppered the game's conclusion.

I'm aware they didn't ACTUALLY copy Bioshock, I wasn't being literal and to iterate I do actually like both games. I just found the ending a little bit disappointing.

As for the gameplay being a challenge, if you can't balance gameplay without breaking suspension of disbelief then you're a poor games manufacturer. During Ellie sections, for example, there was one run where just about every zombie - which by survival horror law I could (and maybe should) have been encouraged to simply sneak around was inexplicably dropping rifle rounds to make sure I was always replenished and never short.

However, an hour or so later, I was having to sneak through a blizzard with the poor girl murmuring "I need to find a gun!" whilst I stabbed to death three or four successive bandits - none of whom "dropped" the rather obvious pistols they were carrying. 

It's the little things. 

That said, this isn't a game in which the gameplay takes centre stage and so I readily put most of those niggles to one side and just enjoyed the scenery and the characterization for the first 95% of the game. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone and I'll curiously wait to see whether or not they deliver a sequel that:

Gives the Joel they borderline ruined a chance to actually make amends for a mad five minutes that scuppered the game's conclusion.

Well fair enough it just didn't sound that way in you're first post. As for the drop rate of the guns i know exactly which bit you're on about and thats because there was a wave like scene coming where you had no choice but to fight so it would have been impossible to do without guns or extra ammo where as the part where ellie say's she needs a gun you could have actually done it with just a knife as i did.

The ending well everyones going to have there opinions personally I knew he wasn't letting go of her you could tell when he started talking about teaching her to play guitar and when he saw those giraffe's he saw how it wasn't such a bad place without us humans he just wanted to go back with her then and I think going through what he'd been through I would have made the same choice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived