Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Windows 8

MrsG needs a new desktop PC, she's only ever used xp should she go for 7 or 8?

Judging from the comments on here 7 sounds the best bet.

I'm still stuck with Vista.

I think if you're not an 'advanced' user I'd go for 7. I didn't like it at first, but got into it, pretty similar to XP imo.

8 looks to confusing, they even removed the start button, for example.

Purchased a new laptop over the weekend and I have to say Windows 8 is dire. I have just downloaded the latest updates and it has deleted IE 10. I can get on the Internet through the app however I don't have it on my desktop when I go to download IE10 off the app I can't see any 'download' button. Why change from the XP/Vista/Windows 7 set up? :/

That's a good thing, get yourself a proper browser like Chrome. I'd love it if an OS auto removed IE and stopped me from putting it back on. Shit browser.

• 2 months later...

well, good old Microsoft.

They have released Windows 8.1 supposed to tidy some bits and pieces up and improve the experience.

Of course, i dont know if any of thats true because their upgrade/download just hangs when it goes to restart. (this is on a laptop not the surface so its not that issue).

Im amazed at how shit MSofts organisation has been over the past 3-5 years

Just updated and now my laptop refuses to connect to wifi! Annoying as!

Could be because you updated and you had anti-virus installed. Not that this should be a problem, but Windows 8 doesn't like it. 

Bought a new laptop a few months ago, first thing I did was format my drive and get Windows 7 on it. Windows 8 is awful, tried to be too simple and user friendly that it has completely failed. So frustrating.

Agreed. It's so difficult to get along with. Especially where the mouse has hot spots for changing programs, it's very infuriating!

Fixed wifi issue in the end, I had to uninstall and reinstall my anti virus and reset all my network plus ip settings ( work network) took a very long time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm still running XP as I refused to pay Microsnot to upgrade an OS to Win 7 when the one I had was perfectly serviceable.

XP runs out of support in April so I'm moving to Mint Linux. The laptop already runs it and I was astonished at how smoothly it went. Free, open source software, no need to worry about viruses, libre office included as part of the package and no built in backdoors for GCHQ/NSA spies.

What's not to like?

I think the problem is with Windows 8, is it's trying to be so user friendly, that it just isn't. Especially for anyone who has a basic understanding of computing. Linux is a good shout in all fairness. If I hadn't have got set up and fairly comfortable with Windows 7, I would have gone for Linux. Simple and fast.

• 10 months later...

Hi folks,

Just bought a new laptop (nothing special just for webbrowsing etc) This one for $400 (= 240 pounds) in case anyones interested.

It comes with Windows 8 and so im now having palpitations... like my migration from xp to vista... grr what a shambles that was...ah the relief that 7 brought.

Im perfectly happy with 7 it works well and i understand it, is there anything i should know about 8? any dodgy things any areas that have been a problem for others?

also whats the best way to take files and programs across to the new one.. any suggestions appreciated.

Well here i am not quite two years later (wow what am i doing with my life lol ) and ive just put the poxy windows 8 machine onto gumtree and bought a 2nd hand Windows7 as a carryover until Windows 10? makes its way out the door.

8 was shit from the minute i got it and ever since ive been unimpressed, Mrs Oz convinced me to get a replacement as she said she was sick and tired of all of the swearing everytime i tried to do anything on it.

• 7 months later...

Thanks.

I'd  use the Internet myself but IE is an abomination and I'm  still trying to set up my fixed tabs and bookmarks on chrome which I thought  happened automatically when you  logged into your Google  account.

Thanks.

I'd  use the Internet myself but IE is an abomination and I'm  still trying to set up my fixed tabs and bookmarks on chrome which I thought  happened automatically when you  logged into your Google  account.

All your google account stuff should just lift straight across, well i say that and mne did it, but.. who knows.

All your google account stuff should just lift straight across, well i say that and mne did it, but.. who knows.

Sorted out the charm pop ups but had to go a bit further as even when disabled I still had them pop up randomly.

Still can't get my tabs/bookmarks up. i've never had the problem before on my other PCs, laptop, tablet even when I've done a total reinstall but they just wont work on this Windows 8 crap (not sure that it's actually the fault of 8 but i'm blaming it anyway)

Yes as posted above never had a problem before but I've tried everything I know, syncing, rebooting, changing settings but zilch. So frustrating.

Archived