Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Tomb Raider: Survivor

Out in a few days, first reviews have already surfaced.

Looking forward to it, I haven't really played a Tomb Raider since the PSOne days. At one point, I thought the franchise had gone out of hands with all those numerous sequels.

Just recently, thanks to the girlfriend, got back into the swing with Tomb Raider Underground, which is already five years old.

This should serve me well as a preparation for the newest installment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tISaNDRsWPA

I thought it was just branded "Tomb Raider"? Haven't really played much of the games since the first 2 on the original Playstation but it's getting good reviews - might give it a look once it's fallen in price

I think they labelled it "Survivor" at an earlier stage. I simply put it in the thread title to avoid confusion with the older games.

Also noteworthy: The new game is more violent in a realistic sense than some of its predecessors and slightly gory, thus the PG-18 recommendation.

Think I'm gonna get this, been a disspaointing past few months for games on the whole, one decent game I've played between the start of November and now is Dead Space 3 and even that isn't that good. Had to sell Aliens and Omerta because their awful. Been back playing Gears 3 and Fable for the past 3 weeks lol.

This looks alright but I doubt it'll be jaw dropping. I can't see anything apart from Bioshock pulling up any trees before September and the Xmas run up.

Reviews are very mixed, It's got 9/10 in some publications and then 6/10 in a bunch of other ones. Seems very much like if you like tomb raider you'll love it, but its nothing special for the people playing tomb raider for the first time. Alot of people critising the characters as well. One minute Lara's struggling to cut a deer open, the next second your slaghtering half the rainforest no problem. Id check some reviews before buying to see if its your cup of tea.

Ill say now that this is absolutely amazing! Ive only had about 3 of 4 hours with it so far and it really is fantastic. Its uncharted basically with Lara in, only better. For me, the websites that give any decent game a low score are just after the attention and website hits. Ive never seen a better game graphically either this generation

Quick-time events, cliché and set-piece moments with an emphasis on trumpets and heavy drums for the soundtrack.

Yep. Not played this game 50 times before.

I also find it hard to care about any of the "sympathetic" moments, seeing as Lara Croft was a bigger threat to Earth's lifeforms than an asteroid.

After a first taste of it over the weekend, I can honestly say this is the most entertaining Tomb Raider ever.

It feels very cinematic, with tons of dramatic moments that keep you entertained on a constant basis. Graphics are stunning - I've been playing Tomb Raider: Underworld leading up to the newest title in the series, and the five years of difference show massively.

There's hardly any room to breathe in the new Tomb Raider. It feels like a mixture between Uncharted, Resident Evil and the Lost TV series (the islands bear some uncanny resemblances). There's plenty of chilly moments (you will remember your first encounter with wolves, for instance, for quite a while) and a lot of frightening enemies and scenes.

SquareEnix also added a couple of quick-time events to keep you focused.

The only negative point that I can see is that it doesn't give you a lot of room to explore the island. The path is pretty much straightforward.

Nevertheless, once you start playing you're sucked into this world and you grow with Lara, feel the pain (she isn't really spared anything).

It's very rewarding to improve your skill sets in the game, as do the various side quests.

And you can always switch back to previous save points (disguised as fire places).

On a sidenote, it is a very gory Tomb Raider and thus deserves its PG-18 rating.

After a first taste of it over the weekend, I can honestly say this is the most entertaining Tomb Raider ever.

It feels very cinematic, with tons of dramatic moments that keep you entertained on a constant basis. Graphics are stunning - I've been playing Tomb Raider: Underworld leading up to the newest title in the series, and the five years of difference show massively.

There's hardly any room to breathe in the new Tomb Raider. It feels like a mixture between Uncharted, Resident Evil and the Lost TV series (the islands bear some uncanny resemblances). There's plenty of chilly moments (you will remember your first encounter with wolves, for instance, for quite a while) and a lot of frightening enemies and scenes.

SquareEnix also added a couple of quick-time events to keep you focused.

The only negative point that I can see is that it doesn't give you a lot of room to explore the island. The path is pretty much straightforward.

Nevertheless, once you start playing you're sucked into this world and you grow with Lara, feel the pain (she isn't really spared anything).

It's very rewarding to improve your skill sets in the game, as do the various side quests.

And you can always switch back to previous save points (disguised as fire places).

On a sidenote, it is a very gory Tomb Raider and thus deserves its PG-18 rating.

So they've deserted what the series is all about in order to push out another action game just so it sells then?

Great.

They should add some new avatars into the mix just to make it more entertaining :whistle:

Foxxy Brown

Lucious Li

Gisele Lopez

Maria Bangovski

Oh yeah, and changable outfits.

Its felt so hard only letting Lara have that one outfit, seeing its on desert islands we need Bikinis and a Lion tamer thingy with whips and tassles!

So they've deserted what the series is all about in order to push out another action game just so it sells then?

Great.

Don't get me wrong, I do miss the slightly expanded possibilities to explore in previous installments.

Bear in mind that you're on one big island - and the further you get into the game, the more often you'll (have to) come back to previously visited spots.

This is when the additional skills come in handy.

But thinking about it again, it isn't really that much different, only much more engrossing and immersive.

There's hardly a moment to breathe, the game won't let you - the plot pushes you on and on.

I love it.

Don't get me wrong, I do miss the slightly expanded possibilities to explore in previous installments.

Bear in mind that you're on one big island - and the further you get into the game, the more often you'll (have to) come back to previously visited spots.

This is when the additional skills come in handy.

But thinking about it again, it isn't really that much different, only much more engrossing and immersive.

There's hardly a moment to breathe, the game won't let you - the plot pushes you on and on.

I love it.

It just sounds like it's ended up like every other 3rd Person over the shoulder shooter to me, see Uncharted/Max Payne/Dead Space/Resident Evil/Gears of War etc etc etc.

Probably doesn't make it a bad game but orginality is dying a death.

• 2 weeks later...

Love it! Don't get to play very often because of busy job but absolutely loved it so far, the graphics are stunning very cinematic and the music is perfectly built to draw you into the gameplay.

There are still the little puzzles to work out and the good mix between stealth and attack. Shooting system is cool with headshots earning you savage points which in time lead to weapon upgrades.

It's very well built and has a nice mix between user gameplay and interactive cinematics. Highly reccomend it. Besides she is flippin fit and makes sex noises often, that is surely enough to sell the game.

I like the game, it's very good! However I got side tracked and went into a tomb, can't get through the stupid thing :( There's two action things, one raises a platform and the other shuts the windows to stop the wind coming in. She keeps saying "I have to time this right", so I reckon I have to raise the platform, jump on it, and then let the wind come in to blow the platform whilst I'm on it... evidently it's not that because I can't get it to work! :(

Too stubborn to turn around and leave the tomb so haven't been on it for two days lol

I like the game, it's very good! However I got side tracked and went into a tomb, can't get through the stupid thing :( There's two action things, one raises a platform and the other shuts the windows to stop the wind coming in. She keeps saying "I have to time this right", so I reckon I have to raise the platform, jump on it, and then let the wind come in to blow the platform whilst I'm on it... evidently it's not that because I can't get it to work! :(

Too stubborn to turn around and leave the tomb so haven't been on it for two days lol

Aah, that one.

It's all about timing. Pay attention to when the wind pushes the windows open - it might be a good idea to be on the manually raised platform by then.

I had the day off last Friday and I was at a bit of a loose end, so I went and got this. I did enjoy it a lot and I managed to get through most of the main campaign in one day. The only disappointing aspects were that it was way too combat based, there was a lack of any really puzzles or challenges, and it did all seem very linear... I remember in the first few games you'd have to spend about three hours searching around trying to solve complex puzzles... timing your jumps just right and feeling really satisfied when you finally found out how to progress.... With this game the 'survival sense' just maps everything out for you and there's no really challenge to any of it. Certainly not a traditional Tomb Raider game. it reminded me a lot of the Batman: Arkham series, especially with the gadget upgrades you get which open up new areas as you go through the game.

So, to sum up, while I did enjoy the game; it was exciting, fun to play and the storyline was good, but it's nothing like a traditional tomb raider title really, which was a shame. Just run/jump/climb to a new place, kill a load of dudes, reach the random objective point and repeat. The NPCs really annoyed me too - especially Sam. Absolute morons, the lot of them. TR is good if you want to kill a few hours playing a fairly fun game, but if you want a challenge, don't bother.

Aah, that one.

It's all about timing. Pay attention to when the wind pushes the windows open - it might be a good idea to be on the manually raised platform by then.

I've tried it. I shut the window, raise the platform, jump on the platform and wait until the wind blows the bottom window open. I move a little bit but nothing of any significance. When I'm not on the platform it blows all the way up next to the wall but if I'm on it it's almost as if I'm too heavy to make it go that far.

Any other tips? lol

Edit: http://www.gamefront.com/tomb-raider-2013-secret-tomb-locations-solutions-guide/ :whistle:

• 3 months later...

I've tried it. I shut the window, raise the platform, jump on the platform and wait until the wind blows the bottom window open. I move a little bit but nothing of any significance. When I'm not on the platform it blows all the way up next to the wall but if I'm on it it's almost as if I'm too heavy to make it go that far.

Any other tips? lol

Edit: http://www.gamefront.com/tomb-raider-2013-secret-tomb-locations-solutions-guide/ :whistle:

Did you make it out? lol

I picked this up today after finally finishing AC3. I think it's decent. Little on the easy side though.

Can't see myself sticking with the 360 much longer though - Bioshock to pick up, GTA5, and that's me done.

Ps4 all the way from then on.

Did you make it out? lol

I picked this up today after finally finishing AC3. I think it's decent. Little on the easy side though.

Can't see myself sticking with the 360 much longer though - Bioshock to pick up, GTA5, and that's me done.

Ps4 all the way from then on.

No. I got bored and returned the game (it was only a rental)

Any other tips? lol

I've just spent over an hour trying to do this constantly over and over and over again. lol

I see you point, and why you were frustrated!

The tips online are wrong. It's got next to nothing to do with timing the jump with the wind and the window. In fact, the quicker you try to do it, the more impossible it becomes.

You close the window and then go over to the other crank. You then WAIT until the bottom window opens and THEN turn the crank. After this I just jumped straight onto the moving platform and waited. Then the gust came through and took me all the way over to the other wall. Strange mechanics, but it worked first time. lol

Archived