Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigAL88

is there any cure for the YLOD ?

Im saying cure because my PS3 has the dreaded YLOD for a couple of months now but it still works

it will normally cut out and crash on start up(2-3 times), then it'll stay on for as long as i want it to when it doesn't crash.

has anyone else had this? and i suppose the real question is it to late to do any thing before it gets any worse?

the PS3 i have is the 'fat' model and had it about 6 years

any help would be greatly appreciated

I had a problem with my PS3 and fixed it by using thermal paste on the CPU and GPU as the original paste had virtually disappeared.

You can find videos on YouTube of how to dismantle it and apply the paste - which you can get from Amazon for a few pounds.

Have a read around a few PS3 forums as I found them helpful too.

No cure per say. You can fix it by taking the motherboard out and heating it up using a heat gun to reflow the solder, and re applying thermal paste. It's only a temporary fix though, usually gets it working long enough to get your saves off. I've got two back up and running using this method but they both ylod a week later again. Look up some tutorials on YouTube, its a little tricky but it does work if you have the equipment. Just don't expect it to last.

The reason PS3's get the YLOD is due to the fact that sony used lead free solder on the first batch of consoles they produced, something they've stopped doing on the slim models. The solder cracks if the console is left on for too long, and when it does, thats when you get the YLOD. You can re flow the solder as i've said above but this can only be done so many times before the solder becomes usless. Basically if you get the YLOD, you may as well just buy a new console, because it is just going to happen again even if you do 'fix' it, and the next time you might not be lucky enough that it'l still start up again, once that happens theres no getting your saves back, your consoles had it.

The one bit of solid advice i'd give is to make sure you back your game saves up to a usb stick ASAP.

Im saying cure because my PS3 has the dreaded YLOD for a couple of months now but it still works

it will normally cut out and crash on start up(2-3 times), then it'll stay on for as long as i want it to when it doesn't crash.

has anyone else had this? and i suppose the real question is it to late to do any thing before it gets any worse?

the PS3 i have is the 'fat' model and had it about 6 years

any help would be greatly appreciated

Sorry I can't help with the YLOD but you avatar ...... it burns my eyes

Pretty sure after 6 years his warranty has ran out. They charge you 120 quid otherwise for a refurb. May as well pay the extra 40 quid and get a brand new one.

Yeah you'll be right. I only mentioned it because of friend of mine had his replaced for free by Sony after it broke. But that was only a year after him buying it, so yeah, it would have been in warranty.

so is there no way id be able to wing it out? is it not possible that this is the worst it'll get?

im saying this as i dont have the funds for such an outlay as being stated above

so is there no way id be able to wing it out? is it not possible that this is the worst it'll get?

im saying this as i dont have the funds for such an outlay as being stated above

If they're still repairing them I'd lie to them abouth how long you've had it, assuming you never registered it, and you'll get it done for free.

If they're still repairing them I'd lie to them abouth how long you've had it, assuming you never registered it, and you'll get it done for free.

is there any way of checking this out before i go telling porkies, been quite a long time and cant remember if i had registered it or not

They ask for the serial number when you ring sony, they can tell from the serial number when the console was sold. They told me the exact date I bought my console from the shop, they even told me what shop I'd bought it from when I had to get my second one replaced after only having it for a month. I hadn't registered it either.

is there any way of checking this out before i go telling porkies, been quite a long time and cant remember if i had registered it or not

See above

A proper reflow would be the best option (not a heatgun), I can sort an infrared reflow at LCFC rates :)

im a bit of a dimwit when it comes to this sort of stuff can you elaborate on what and how and obviously how much the 'LCFC' rates are :thumbup:

weirdly enough since i posted the thread it has not YLOD on me once :) which is baffling since i thought it only gets worse. or is this the calm before the storm :mellow:

im a bit of a dimwit when it comes to this sort of stuff can you elaborate on what and how and obviously how much the 'LCFC' rates are :thumbup:

weirdly enough since i posted the thread it has not YLOD on me once :) which is baffling since i thought it only gets worse. or is this the calm before the storm :mellow:

Seems strange that it keeps going, after ylod it usually stops booting, maybe it could be something else, do the fans start to go faster?

pm me if you want more info on reflowing it.

They ask for the serial number when you ring sony, they can tell from the serial number when the console was sold. They told me the exact date I bought my console from the shop, they even told me what shop I'd bought it from when I had to get my second one replaced after only having it for a month. I hadn't registered it either.

See above

I bet it depends who you get on the other end of the phone. I've had RROD 3 times over the past 3 years and got away with lying to Microsoft once and got rumbled the second time.

It's worth the risk, end of the day if they tell you you're lying, just say "oh I did buy it second hand" job done. Worth a go for the chance of a free repair.

Archived