Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Does playing FM make you less critical of managers?

48 members have voted

1. 1. Does playing FM make you more sympathetic to a manager's problems?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't be silly, it's just a game!

Maybe it makes you less critical, but I think it does for me. The number of times I've lost matches that I was 100% confident of winning and I haven't a clue how it happened, or how suddenly my team that was demolishing the league has gone on a six match losing streak. When an important player gets injured midseason and there's no suitable replacements that anyone wants to sell to you or that you could use. When you know the right formation, but the players you've got don't match the positions well.

I know it's just a game and it's not reality - but I think it does make you more sympathetic of a manager's plight.

I voted for 'It's just a game' and I predict most others will do. What might be a more interesting way of doing it would be a (Play FM and critical, play FM and not critical, don't play FM and critical, don't play FM and not critical) poll, since that way you'll actually see if there's a pattern. Doubt there is.

Maybe it makes you less critical, but I think it does for me. The number of times I've lost matches that I was 100% confident of winning and I haven't a clue how it happened, or how suddenly my team that was demolishing the league has gone on a six match losing streak. When an important player gets injured midseason and there's no suitable replacements that anyone wants to sell to you or that you could use. When you know the right formation, but the players you've got don't match the positions well.

I know it's just a game and it's not reality - but I think it does make you more sympathetic of a manager's plight.

Having had to actually manage a football side, at Amatuer level, was ball ache enough. I have total sympathy with managers in the proffesional game, but at the end of the day they are paid a lot of money to do a job.

Interesting point, I think it would if FM was harder. I lost my first 7 in a row with Leicester but still got promoted on FM13 january update, so when I see us losing to Peterborough etc. it's more than a little frustrating.

Guest BlueBrett

It just makes people think they have really in depth knowledge of players and encourages faith in shitty formations like the diamond

I hated when a manager plays one upfront but recently in my game I cannot play two upfront my forwards are always well marked out of the game instead recently I've been playing a 5-2-1-1 formation and recently have been winning narrow 1-0 wins!

No because FM is far too lenient in that regard. In fact I think there should be an option to make it more strict on you tbh. Or at least give chairmen personalities.

I'd love to manage Palermo, they've had about 8 manager this season. Owner's a mental case.

If it had an effect, it would make me more critical since it's so easy you can take almost any team and make huge progress, season after season,

It just makes people think they have really in depth knowledge of players and encourages faith in shitty formations like the diamond

lol "...right, I tried 3-2-3-1-1 with King in a Trequartista role on Football Manager and it worked brilliantly so it's got to be worth a go, right Alan?"

It is just a game, but some of the principles still remain the same. I mean, if your star striker is through on goal in the 90th minute and puts it wide, then what else, as a manager, are you meant to do?!

Even games like FIFA can put you in the shoes of a manager looking on. Even though you're controlling the players (well, one or two at a time), you still find instances where you feel you just can't have done anything more to win the game. AI defenders not tracking their man, injuries, opposition keeper having a blinder, hitting the woodwork multiple times, etc etc. Yes, it's not a real game of football and there are always gonna be differences, but there are comparisons to be drawn.

Like Danizen, FM is too easy to make you sympathise with managers. If I can win the Premier league within 4 or 5 years and NP can't even get out of the Champo, it makes me think he doesn't scout properly or use hopeless tactics. He's too focused on homegrown talent, and even contemplating playing Schlupp at left back when you can get Rindarøy for peanuts... I mean, seriously!!

It is just a game, but some of the principles still remain the same. I mean, if your star striker is through on goal in the 90th minute and puts it wide, then what else, as a manager, are you meant to do?!

Even games like FIFA can put you in the shoes of a manager looking on. Even though you're controlling the players (well, one or two at a time), you still find instances where you feel you just can't have done anything more to win the game. AI defenders not tracking their man, injuries, opposition keeper having a blinder, hitting the woodwork multiple times, etc etc. Yes, it's not a real game of football and there are always gonna be differences, but there are comparisons to be drawn.

All of those things should be obvious to any sane football fan without needing to play FM.

• 3 weeks later...

Went through a stage after

I've played a few games of Monopoly but it doesn't give me any insight on how to run a Mayfair hotel. It's just a game.

Exactly. Whenever I murder a prostitute by repeatedly smashing her over the head with a baseball bat in a park next to my freshly stolen car which I've just banged her in I still have to go into her purse to steal her money, it doesn't just appear floating and glowing green like it does in Grand Theft Auto III.

Archived