Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FIF's Coffee Thread

I do enjoy a good coffee and I drink a lot of it so I'm wondering what coffee's FTers enjoy and how they like it.

At home I drink cafetiere coffee - you know French press - it gives a stronger coffee with high caffeine content and you can regulate the amount of coffee grounds and time of steeping. I enjoy some of the coffees from the new coffee machines like Tassimo and often take a quick espresso if I'm in town.

I occasionally grind my own from beans but I've found that most ground coffee is excellently made these days.

The brands and the types of coffee however are so different. I enjoy a dark roast coffee but aromatic rather than corse. I enjoy both African and South/ Central American coffees. I'm presently enjoying a little known brand from Columbia which is full of flavour.

So what's yours?

Guest MattP

Now I can see why you fit in in France.

I never understood it, remember being sat in a bar at 9am on my 5th stella before going to Roland Garros and all these suits were walking in before work and paying money for coffee in a cup smaller than a shot glass.

you'd fit in fine - there are french guys in bars who drink stella at 8 in the morning. :)

A short hit of coffee. Fantastic.

I drink coffee at work. I don't really like coffee, but there's just only so many times I can turn down the offer, and I don't want to be the one guy who doesn't drink coffee.

I am at one guy among the group of addicts I work with, they spend an insane amount of cash on the stuff!!

Got into coffee a lot more on this placement year down in London. I'm officially a coffee snob now

I buy two types for home, Monmouth and London Square Mile.. at work we have an okay lavazza maker but its not great, just gives the necessary hit.

I refuse to spend money in Costa (it's for morons... no really)

I'll only ever buy coffee from an independent (my mate owns a coffee shop, one of the main reasons).

If you ever see me in Starbucks it's because i've been sent an email for a free one lol.

P.s. Get your hands on some Guatemalan fif... really nice.

When I was a little kid our mother would make us a milky Camp coffee as a treat. I don't really drink coffee anymore.

Mine too :D

Mothers really spoilt us back .

I really only ever drink nescafe now , occasionaliy kenco really rich if it's on special offer at tesco.

Guest BlueBrett

I drink bucket loads of the ground stuff for cafetieres. Usually just get that range they do in the supermarkets. Can't remember the brand but they give all the different blends exotic names like 'Guatemalan cloud Forest'. I wont touch instant now really.

Btw Fif, you know they put a little 'started by..' subheading at the top of threads?

Got into coffee a lot more on this placement year down in London. I'm officially a coffee snob now

I buy two types for home, Monmouth and London Square Mile.. at work we have an okay lavazza maker but its not great, just gives the necessary hit.

I refuse to spend money in Costa (it's for morons... no really)

I'll only ever buy coffee from an independent (my mate owns a coffee shop, one of the main reasons).

If you ever see me in Starbucks it's because i've been sent an email for a free one lol.

P.s. Get your hands on some Guatemalan fif... really nice.

It just so happens that my next packet is Guatemalan can't remember the supplier just now though.

I drink bucket loads of the ground stuff for cafetieres. Usually just get that range they do in the supermarkets. Can't remember the brand but they give all the different blends exotic names like 'Guatemalan cloud Forest'. I wont touch instant now really.

Btw Fif, you know they put a little 'started by..' subheading at the top of threads?

yeah, I thought I'd do a pisstake of TPH to show my love.

Instant - yeuch.

Carte noire instant was the last one I had but even that isn't a touch on ground.

And please tell me that you NEVER have milk in it.

Why do people have to be so fookin fussy and poncey about everything they eat and drink these days?

In my day you’d be classed as a gourmet if you could tell the difference between Stork and butter. :)

I drink far too much coffee to the point I think it's probably doing me harm.

I buy a catering sized tub of Tesco Gold for emergencies, but think Nescafe is fine as far as instant coffee goes. I like it strong & have 2 full teaspoons of coffee per mug.

I use a coffee grinder & paper filter that sits straight on top of the mug. I've not seen them here & get mine from America......saves no end of time & washing up. I do have to ration my fresh coffee though......or I'd spend most the day off my tits!!

Buy my beans off the internet as the range available in supermarkets is usually crap & yes to Guatemalan!!

Why do people have to be so fookin fussy and poncey about everything they eat and drink these days?

In my day you’d be classed as a gourmet if you could tell the difference between Stork and butter. :)

lol

It's like the difference between watching Leicester City and Hinckley United.sleeping on a comfy mattress or the floor...

Why drink shit when you don't have to?

Try a cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain - you won't need milk or even sugar and you'll realize why people pay for the good stuff. Unless your tatse buds are no good.

I do enjoy a good coffee and I drink a lot of it so I'm wondering what coffee's FTers enjoy and how they like it.

At home I drink cafetiere coffee - you know French press - it gives a stronger coffee with high caffeine content and you can regulate the amount of coffee grounds and time of steeping. I enjoy some of the coffees from the new coffee machines like Tassimo and often take a quick espresso if I'm in town.

I occasionally grind my own from beans but I've found that most ground coffee is excellently made these days.

The brands and the types of coffee however are so different. I enjoy a dark roast coffee but aromatic rather than corse. I enjoy both African and South/ Central American coffees. I'm presently enjoying a little known brand from Columbia which is full of flavour.

So what's yours?

NICE! I'm a bit of a coffee geek myself, and very lucky in Edinburgh with tonnes of great coffee shops nearby. There's a great little coffee shop in town who do square mile coffee, and they do a mean flat white.

For me it's more about the barista than the bean. A properly made drink can be incredible even with an average bean.

A couple of great beans from Scotland to try out are 'Artisan Roast' and 'Matthew Algie'. Both are excellent.

However, it's the US who make the best coffee I think. In San Francisco, Blue Bottle coffee and Philz Coffee, are just on a completely different level. Check them out.

At home I just use one of these and a bit of Lavazza. Middle of the road but it does the job for a consistent cup.

MokaPot2.jpg

MokaPot2.jpg

I've got one of those! Someone bought it for me for Christmas about two years ago. I've never used it because I don't really know how.

We've got a Tassimo too. We really enjoy the caramel macchiato.

I have to be honest, I prefer tea. Got a really refreshing Ceylon at the minute. It has a lovely tea taste but is never bitter, no matter how long you leave the bag in.

NICE! I'm a bit of a coffee geek myself, and very lucky in Edinburgh with tonnes of great coffee shops nearby. There's a great little coffee shop in town who do square mile coffee, and they do a mean flat white.

For me it's more about the barista than the bean. A properly made drink can be incredible even with an average bean.

A couple of great beans from Scotland to try out are 'Artisan Roast' and 'Matthew Algie'. Both are excellent.

However, it's the US who make the best coffee I think. In San Francisco, Blue Bottle coffee and Philz Coffee, are just on a completely different level. Check them out.

At home I just use one of these and a bit of Lavazza. Middle of the road but it does the job for a consistent cup.

MokaPot2.jpg

Made a note will do an online search - sure to be able to get them delivered from somewhere. Haven't heard of most of your recommendations, just checking out the blue bottle website. Think I'll work my way down their listed single origin coffees. Burundi - never had a coffee from there in my life!

I've got one of those! Someone bought it for me for Christmas about two years ago. I've never used it because I don't really know how.

We've got a Tassimo too. We really enjoy the caramel macchiato.

I have to be honest, I prefer tea. Got a really refreshing Ceylon at the minute. It has a lovely tea taste but is never bitter, no matter how long you leave the bag in.

My wife prefers tea too Rooibos at the moment. IMO coffee tatses are more subtle, tea is a little too perfumed for me , but I can understand the preference.

Archived