Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MrSpaM

Microsofts next XBOX (Xbox One)

Grand unvailing 21 May 2013

Some information we know so far about the console (updated as new info comes in)

Developer was quoted last night as saying this console is going to be always online, meaning if you havnt got an internet connection, you can't play your games. This has now been confirmed by a number of developers for the console. This possibly also means that second hand games are not going to work on it, but this is yet to be confimed.

Will be released in November of this year.

Will run a version of Windows 8 as it's operating system.

They are only going to be releasing one version of it, as opposed to the two versions they had planned (One for gaming, one just used as a set top box)

I really don't see everyone's problem with always-online, who doesn't have broadband these days? I appreciate some people have bad connections but I've been with Virgin Fibre Optic for 3 years and haven't once experienced down-time. Not even for an hour.

As for the new Xbox, I'm looking forward to it. I just hope it matches/surpasses PS4 for specs, and they don't bump up the price by £100 because it has Kinect built in. F*** motion control.

A "next gen" console will have an operating system that is already 6 months old and will probably be over a year old when the machine becomes available? When you consider the speed tech moves on (win 7 is only a little over 3 years old) surely they should have looked at something unique?

Will having Win 8 as it's platform mean that PC gamers will be able to compete against Xbox gamers? Blurs the boundaries.

I desperatly want to like the next xbox, because xbox live is just so damn good I couldnt imagine having to use PSN now. Im just scared by some of the rumours, really don't want to have kinect shoved down my throat, I play at a desk and would never use it.

I really don't see everyone's problem with always-online, who doesn't have broadband these days? I appreciate some people have bad connections but I've been with Virgin Fibre Optic for 3 years and haven't once experienced down-time. Not even for an hour.

As for the new Xbox, I'm looking forward to it. I just hope it matches/surpasses PS4 for specs, and they don't bump up the price by £100 because it has Kinect built in. F*** motion control.

See what's happened with SimCity for a prime example. One of the biggest ****ups in gaming history is why always online should not exist.

Will having Win 8 as it's platform mean that PC gamers will be able to compete against Xbox gamers? Blurs the boundaries.

I can see it as a possibility for games released on 'Games for windows live', but as far as games released on steam, I honestly can't see it happening, especially with steam wanting to compete in the console market now.

See what's happened with SimCity for a prime example. One of the biggest ****ups in gaming history is why always online should not exist.

There is that, but the systems which Xbox uses would likely be totally different, and ironed out. Microsoft knows enough bad publicity will put off some of their customer base so I can't imagine a console having anywhere near as many problems as SimCity had on launch.

If it did, I'd certainly jump ship to PS4. But personally I'm not worried.

There is that, but the systems which Xbox uses would likely be totally different, and ironed out. Microsoft knows enough bad publicity will put off some of their customer base so I can't imagine a console having anywhere near as many problems as SimCity had on launch.

If it did, I'd certainly jump ship to PS4. But personally I'm not worried.

If 'Games For Windows Live' is anything to go by, microsoft are capeable of screwing this up just as much as EA have.

I don't think I could buy anything that wouldn't allow me to play a game if lose an internet connection, or even worse if they are having problems with their servers. The whole notion of it is just damaging for them.

The always online thing won't be a massive deal for me, 95% of my console gaming time is spent on Live anyway.

The annoying thing is that (I think) All save games and profiles will be stored online. If SimCity is anything to go by, being unable to access your profile and losing your saved games is a pretty high possibility.

I'll be getting the PS4 if this is always online. Don't feel xbox live is worth the money anymore. Always online is such a joke. There is so many times my internet cuts off or isn't fast enough.

While Live is of course still a superior service to PSN, mainly in terms of stability and (most crucially) cheating/hacker protection, I don't understand why when paying over £35 a year we're still subjected to adverts ****ing EVERYWHERE on the dashboard.

While Live is of course still a superior service to PSN, mainly in terms of stability and (most crucially) cheating/hacker protection, I don't understand why when paying over £35 a year we're still subjected to adverts ****ing EVERYWHERE on the dashboard.

One of the reasons im backing out from it. The dashboard is terrible now. I'd still rather use an xbox controller over a playstation controller but I reckon the ps4 will have better games this time

While my current internet connection is tip top and the router is right next to the Xbox 360, at my previous place it wasn't and Live was a nightmare. Being online permanently is a nice idea but in practicality I'd argue the broadband network isn't good enough in the UK for it to work for a lot of people. The only thing I use Live for as it stands is playing FIFA online. I was already questioning my next console purchase because the one friend I want to play FIFA with the most has a PS3 - if it is "always online" it might make that decision for me. Xbox still has the better controller, mind.

Xbox still has the better controller, mind.

That's the main thing for me. I had the original PS1, had Ape Escape (the first game to use the Dual Shock controller), the PS2 but I'd find it mighty difficult to readjust to the Dual Analogue controller. Whenever I've played on PS3's, my hands feel strained within a matter of minutes - the 360 controller seems infinitely more ergonomic for everything bar fighting games

I'll keep an open mind for now, Playstaions "grand announcement" was about as vague as you can get and the Next Box features, always online etc are all little more but (admittidly likely) rumours at the minute, pointless making any decisions yet, I might not even get either on launch they way things are going and buy myself a PS3 with all the exclusives I haven't played yet.

Always on is definitley going to put me off.

• 2 weeks later...

I have psn and have rarely had any problems, when I went on my brothers xbox on the other hand, I found I needed updates, online passes, and all sorts of issues, noisy console, annoying operating system, huge power supply, cheap feel, had psn for around 3 years, thats at least £100 ive saved in live costs. Hackers? I'll take the 2 weeks downtime for 2 free games! If ps4/new xbox removes the ability to buy preowned, and makes always online, I wont be buying either though.

I have psn and have rarely had any problems, when I went on my brothers xbox on the other hand, I found I needed updates, online passes, and all sorts of issues, noisy console, annoying operating system, huge power supply, cheap feel, had psn for around 3 years, thats at least £100 ive saved in live costs. Hackers? I'll take the 2 weeks downtime for 2 free games! If ps4/new xbox removes the ability to buy preowned, and makes always online, I wont be buying either though.

Rumour has it that the next gen PSN will be a pay service too.

Rumour has it that the next gen PSN will be a pay service too.

They've already said it won't be, they'll have the option to go for PlayStation + like the PS3, but on the ps4 this will give you access to the PlayStation back catalogue (Gaikai) for free and free games. They'll never charge you just so you can play your games online like Microsoft do.

Archived