Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MrSpaM

Microsofts next XBOX (Xbox One)

The more difficult they make this work, the more determined the hackers will be in cracking it.

I think it's ridiculous. I also think it's ridiculous for Microsoft to think that everyone is hooked up to super fast broadband which is clearly not the case, nor is it possible, in my area.

It's a disaster waiting to happen. I think the biggest winners will be tablets in all of this. Tablet gaming is the way forward imo.

The game is tied to the console, not the account.

Not according to this quote from Phil Harrison:

Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

So, surely, if you signed into your account on a friend's Xbox, then you should be able to play your game, on your account, but on a different machine? I can't see them tying games to a single console, rather than a user account - what would happen if your xbox malfunctioned and you had to get a replacement? Would all games have to be purchased again because they were tied to the former console? That would be ridiculous. I can see what they're trying to do, but at the end of the day the machine you're playing on is immaterial - you've bought the right to play that game, It shouldn't matter what Xbox One you use to play it.

If they're going ahead with this, they need to tie games to Xbox Live accounts rather than consoles and make it as easy as possible for you to sign in on different machines.

Changing the topic slightly - do people think this could lead to a massive rise in cracked/chipped consoles and a pirate used games market? I'm sure people will find a way around this.

So, surely, if you signed into your account on a friend's Xbox, then you should be able to play your game, on your account, but on a different machine? I can't see them tying games to a single console, rather than a user account - what would happen if your xbox malfunctioned and you had to get a replacement? Would all games have to be purchased again because they were tied to the former console? That would be ridiculous. I can see what they're trying to do, but at the end of the day the machine you're playing on is immaterial - you've bought the right to play that game, It shouldn't matter what Xbox One you use to play it.

If they're going ahead with this, they need to tie games to Xbox Live accounts rather than consoles and make it as easy as possible for you to sign in on different machines.

Changing the topic slightly - do people think this could lead to a massive rise in cracked/chipped consoles and a pirate used games market? I'm sure people will find a way around this.

The games are going to be tied to your account, so you could go to a friends house and sign in on your account, and you'd be able to install and play the game. If he tried to play the game after signing back in as himself though it would stop him playing it, and demand a 'fee' to use it, this is not just a small fee either, a Microsoft representative has been quoted as saying you'll be charged full price for the game again if it is a newer title.

One things for sure, there is going to be a sharp rise in people trying to hack these consoles to work outside of the cloud, especially in the far east and Russia, where pirating games is considered acceptable and is not against the law.

The games are going to be tied to your account, so you could go to a friends house and sign in on your account, and you'd be able to install and play the game. If he tried to play the game after signing back in as himself though it would stop him playing it, and demand a 'fee' to use it, this is not just a small fee either, a Microsoft representative has been quoted as saying you'll be charged full price for the game again if it is a newer title.

One things for sure, there is going to be a sharp rise in people trying to hack these consoles to work outside of the cloud, especially in the far east and Russia, where pirating games is considered acceptable and is not against the law.

Thought so. I still think this will fail spectacularly though, I give it a couple of months before someone's hacked it.

I don't know why the companies don't just run their own pre-owned market? If it was me, I'd operate it like Music Magpie, scan the barcode on the box of your game and get a certain number of points for it, send it back to a microsoft/sony outlet and then use the points against a purchase of another pre-owned game, or against the price of a new game. Microsoft then gets to sell back your copy of a game to someone else at a healthy margin, with a newly generated code, and everyone's happy.

It wouldn't make them as much money as selling new copies of the games, but I think they have to accept that the pre-owned market is a massive part of the gaming industry and surely it would be better for them to get a cut of the action, rather than stopping that revenue stream altogether?

Apologies, I obviously need to brush up on my reading skills!

So if you want to play it on your mates console you would have to install the whole game? If that is the case, the install time needs to pretty low.

Apologies, I obviously need to brush up on my reading skills!

So if you want to play it on your mates console you would have to install the whole game? If that is the case, the install time needs to pretty low.

As it get, the disc is more like a key to access the game online. I guess game levels and things might be on the disc, but the game engine will be in the cloud. Like I say, just a guess.

Watched the release, looks quality and with them finally getting blue ray I don't know what playstation beats them on anymore

Everything inside the console. PS4 is a lot more powerful than the Xbox 1 and a big chunk of the Xbox's ram is dedicated to running it's windows os.

if you're buying a console purely for gaming, PS4 is the clear winner.

Watched the release, looks quality and with them finally getting blue ray I don't know what playstation beats them on anymore

I watched the release, and thought it looked rubbish. They spent about an hour talking about telly, sports, telly, voice recognition, kinect, telly, and then more telly before I got sick of waiting for them to talk about games and turned it off.

I couldn't care less how well it links to tv, I don't care about voice recognition, I don't want kinect - there's nothing wrong with pressing buttons on a controller, and Microsoft's stance on used games is suicidal. If that doesn't lose them this battle against Sony, it deserves to at least.

Consoles are supposed to be about games - anything else is merely an extra. The PS4 certainly looks like the better machine for gaming, which is the only important thing.

I've currently got an XBOX 360, which I think is fine, but if I buy a next gen console, it will definitely not be an XBOX One. I'll either abandon this sinking ship for Sony, or get a new pc.

Re: The "battle" of the consoles, there's always been enough room for too competing consoles and historically there's usually been three at any one time. They push each other and keep the quality up, rather like having too many good strikers. It does however seem very "controlling" of Microsoft in what they're trying to do and I wonder how many people will prove to be sheep?

Currently have an Xbox 360, most of my mates are PS3 users but I just hate the controller and I'm shite when using it, I actually thought the new Xbox One looked decent but that's my opinion. Of I see what the PS4 is like I may be tempted to join most of my friends but just be crap with the controls lol

Console looks amazing, shits all over the PS4

I can't work out why you'd say that.

You know after the XBox One launch, Sony's stock went up 9%, while Microsoft's didn't change at all?

Indie games are the future, and Sony are embracing indie developers, while Microsoft are pretty much slamming the door shut on them. The PS4 also has faster RAM.

Maybe E3 will make me change my mind, but I don't think that will be likely.

Obviously haven't heard the stuff they didn't tell you in the presentation, or this is a genius troll

Currently have an Xbox 360, most of my mates are PS3 users but I just hate the controller and I'm shite when using it, I actually thought the new Xbox One looked decent but that's my opinion. Of I see what the PS4 is like I may be tempted to join most of my friends but just be crap with the controls lol

If that's the deal breaker for you, it needn't be. The PS4 controller is a new design, and might well be better. If it's not, there's bound to be a third-party controller that is. There might even be one that's an XBox controller shell with PS insides.

Seriously, I don't know what peoples problem is - I think it's an age thing. When I was a teenager I was fiercely pro-Spectrum (I still am to some extent), but since then I've jumped ship from Amiga to St and the back again, from Sega to Nintendo to Sega to PS. Nobody has to keep going with the same platform - especially when doing so is render pointless due to no backwards compatibility.

Obviously haven't heard the stuff they didn't tell you in the presentation, or this is a genius troll

Please just start a PS4 bumming thread.

You're doing my head in.

Is there some award for biggest & bestest fanboy that you're after?

Zzzzzzzzzzzz......

Some of the inner workings of the consoles’ hardware isn’t yet known, but the most important difference we do know is not in CPU cores, but RAM – the couriers of the computer world.

The Sony PS4 uses 5.5GHz GDDR5 RAM, and we believe the Xbox One uses 2.1GHz DDR3 RAM.

They sound similar, but the different ways they operate has significant knock-on effects for the gaming potential of the two consoles.

The ‘G’ of the PS4's GGDR5 RAM stands for ‘graphics’, and this is a type of memory commonly used in dedicated PC graphics cards – although some do use DDR3 instead, usually cheaper models. In a shamelessly generalising sense, DDR3 is used for main system memory and GDDR5 for graphics-based tasks.

Like, y’know, gaming.

The key is bandwidth. GDDR5 sacrifices latency – the speed with which memory tasks can be initiated – for bandwidth, which defines the speed at which tasks can be performed once started.

Estimates put the PS4’s memory bandwidth at 176GB/second, compared to 68GB/second for the Xbox One. The PS4 is the tech outlier here. GDDR5 is only currently available in 512MB chips, so the console will need a whopping 16 of them.

It’s no wonder Sony hasn’t unveiled the PS4’s case yet – maybe it’s even bigger than the Xbox’s.

Memory bandwidth is imperative when shifting great big chunks of data, such as rendering high-quality textures. So is the Xbox One stuffed?

Archived