Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ADK

Championship 2013/2014 Stuff it in here.

Guest Col city fan

Yep I've always thought they get it harsh. Reading's support is far worse than Wigan's IMO.

Col, Sven's Leicester is exactly why I'm so cynical to sides like QPR. Call Sven's Leicester a lesson.

There will be plenty that were hoping, praying that Sven got us promoted. Calling him a genius when he prised Matt Mills away from Reading (their club captain) and drooling when we got Beckford at the 11th hour. Those same people would not have batted an eyelid at the transfer fees, the wages paid and whether or not such players were 'journeymen', 'disruptive' or whatever.

Now that Arry's doing it at QPR its 'unethical' and 'not the way to run a football club'.

Two things:

1. Hypocrisy

2. As I've said all along, if QPR go up, it's worked. If not, Arry should leave.

:thumbup:

Wasn't keen on derby following us up. But I have found 2 bright spots.

1. 6points.

2. On our 1st tv game we can get 30k singing. It's nottingham forest you're all on your own. lol

I'm going to get a slap for saying this but people (not just you at all) have got to stop assuming it's six points already in the bag.

Atmosphere at Derby was good IMO. Impressed that they had a full stand of people standing up.

Yep. Suppose that's what you get when the club give a shit about the atmosphere.

There will be plenty that were hoping, praying that Sven got us promoted. Calling him a genius when he prised Matt Mills away from Reading (their club captain) and drooling when we got Beckford at the 11th hour. Those same people would not have batted an eyelid at the transfer fees, the wages paid and whether or not such players were 'journeymen', 'disruptive' or whatever.

Now that Arry's doing it at QPR its 'unethical' and 'not the way to run a football club'.

Two things:

1. Hypocrisy

2. As I've said all along, if QPR go up, it's worked. If not, Arry should leave.

A lot of that is exaggerated. Signing the captain of the play-off final losers and supposed top defender in the league isn't a mark of genius (though it was exciting), nor is it genius to spend a whole summer pissing around going for a forward and waiting as late as possible to bring one in, not to mention how much he failed.

A lot of it was misplaced faith for me. Sven's reign at Leicester, as a football fan, is one of the best lessons I've ever had. We were an absolute embarrassing joke.

If you find quotes from me, then sure, they're most likely of excitement - I thought he was going to get us up. I saw us rip some sides apart at home the year before, I thought he'd spend money and make us one capable of ripping apart most of this league. However, I doubt you'll even get me claiming any moves he made were 'genius'.

QPR are an even bigger joke IMO as they've stuck with this ridiculous player collecting policy for years despite constant under-achievement. They as a club (not the fans) deserve to do a Portsmouth.

http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/club/history/Attendances.aspx

Fifteen years ago they were averaging 3k.

This^

It's hard to criticise Wigan's support when you know the history. Not long ago they were a poor lower league club playing in one of the worst stadiums in the country in Springfield Park, and surrounded by a number of successful football clubs. At the same time Wigan Rugby League was the strongest club in the country.

Support is something passed on through generations and it will take time to build up Wigan Athletic's fanbase - credit to them for the work they have done and the progress made in a region where they face tough competition and have a mainly working class catchment area who may not be able to afford PL prices.

Yep I've always thought they get it harsh. Reading's support is far worse than Wigan's IMO.

Col, Sven's Leicester is exactly why I'm so cynical to sides like QPR. Call Sven's Leicester a lesson.

Wasn't Peter Taylor's reign our lesson? But time passed and we forgot spending money we didn't have might get us in trouble. We had no excuse to do what we did in the Sven era because the effects of the Taylor aftermath were less than 10 years old.

I think MacLaren has done an amazing job at Derby. To be honest, I thought when they sacked Clough Jr and brought him in that they would end up fighting relegation, but the way they played this afternoon was amazing. Whoever wins tomorrow, the final will be interesting, and to be honest, I quite like the idea of Derby coming up.

We are the region's top team. Even if Derby are up there with us.

Well we won't be if they finish above us next season, I'd rather that not be a possibility.

I understand that people enjoy our games against them but tbh I just want them to fail.

And their fans are wank, please don't defend their fans. Totally tinpot and they think being obsessed with Forest makes them a big club.

Did you shout for City under Sven and hope that we got promoted with the Swede at the helm?

Yes?.... because we did pretty much the same thing then as QPR have done (remember Yakubu on 50k per week?) And Fat Johnno on 15k? allegedly...

#hypocrisyreignssupreme

If you WEREN'T shouting for us at the time, then I apologise.

Well I don't think many people liked Sven that much so I'm not sure why you think we must be hypocrites.

Also, I think it's fair to say that Redknapp is a very dislikeable man. It's totally understandable that people would want QPR to fail.

Bang on Col. Still think we can take six points off them if they get promoted, because we have the hex on them. But I'd quite like them to go up, if only to p1ss on Florist.

Wasn't keen on derby following us up. But I have found 2 bright spots.

1. 6points.

2. On our 1st tv game we can get 30k singing. It's nottingham forest you're all on your own. lol

We're not in cahoots with Derby, we should want to 'p1ss on Forest' because we're good, not because Derby are. If Derby winning pisses Forest fans off I couldn't care less, I want them to be shit compared to us.

Wasn't Peter Taylor's reign our lesson? But time passed and we forgot spending money we didn't have might get us in trouble. We had no excuse to do what we did in the Sven era because the effects of the Taylor aftermath were less than 10 years old.

During the time of Taylor's reign I was about 10 years old. Whilst I still had to endure it, I didn't really know why this new team of mine had gone from winning all the time to one who were losing every time. At least with Sven I was old enough to realise why things were going wrong, sort of.

Either way we've got a quality manager now and I'm pretty sure he won't send us up that route.

We're not in cahoots with Derby, we should want to 'p1ss on Forest' because we're good, not because Derby are. If Derby winning pisses Forest fans off I couldn't care less, I want them to be shit compared to us.

We've already pissed on Forest to be honest. Even they'll admit it.

Derby being good again has made me seriously dislike a lot of their fans. I forgot what they're like.

Two things:

1. Hypocrisy

Col, that's a ridiculous thing to say. How has it worked? They've finished behind Burnley who have spent a minute amount in comparison. You don't spend that amount of money and collect that amount of players to be involved in a 3 game mini-season, relying on it to get promoted.

It's not hypocrisy, we were crap under Sven, and QPR have underachieved under Redknapp, that's it. Redknapp's way of doing things is wrong because it doesn't work, and it hasn't worked. And if they are lucky enough to play well for once in the next 2 games and fluke their way up, it won't change that.

Guest bss9401

I live on the notts/sheepshagshire border and the silence is deafening. The jealousy is even louder even with the sheep in the playoffs. Florist are positively seething. Great days!!!

Guest MattP

I'm amazed at how many people are under rating Derby.

Got a good base of youngsters and despite the piss taking he gets clearly a very good manager.

With the amount of shite in the PL these days they have a chance of staying up if they get there.

Col - don't compare our spending to QPR's. It's not even in the same league, they have a higher wage bill than Dortmund and Atletico and their losses this season are higher than ours over the last four seasons.

As Kitch says, they might fluke their way up but when you have a Champions League budget you should be finishing higher than third in the second tier.

Hopefully Wigan dump out ol Arry tonight and like Sven it will be the last we see of the old crook.

Guest Col city fan

I'm amazed at how many people are under rating Derby.

Got a good base of youngsters and despite the piss taking he gets clearly a very good manager.

With the amount of shite in the PL these days they have a chance of staying up if they get there.

Col - don't compare our spending to QPR's. It's not even in the same league, they have a higher wage bill than Dortmund and Atletico and their losses this season are higher than ours over the last four seasons.

As Kitch says, they might fluke their way up but when you have a Champions League budget you should be finishing higher than third in the second tier.

Hopefully Wigan dump out ol Arry tonight and like Sven it will be the last we see of the old crook.

lol

You know as well as I do, it's not the sheer amount of money spent, it's the way its spent and the principle underlying it.

ie... trying to 'buy the league'.

Man City have done it, Arry (and his Chairman) are trying to do it, Sven (and the Board) tried to do it.

And I didn't see much complaint about it at the time of Sven's reign. Unless I missed it?

Come on MattP.. if you really didn't think Sven tried to buy victory, you're a fool. And you aren't a fool. Arry is trying to do the same thing.

Guest MattP

You certainly missed my complaints. I was derided by a few of here for criticising our spending and yes we did try and "buy the league".

We still aren't comparable to QPR though. Just look at the figures, it would be like comparing Everton to Man City. We're talking numerous players on 90k a week that aren't even playing.

Even Sven wouldn't have tried to pull that off.

Guest Col city fan

You certainly missed my complaints. I was derided by a few of here for criticising our spending and yes we did try and "buy the league".

We still aren't comparable to QPR though. Just look at the figures, it would be like comparing Everton to Man City. We're talking numerous players on 90k a week that aren't even playing.

Even Sven wouldn't have tried to pull that off.

Weren't quite a few of those 90k per week players (do you KNOW they are on 90k per week?) pre Redknapp?

Arry has stated all along he's tried to get rid of some of the big time charlies and brought in some of his own.

You're strangely transparent Matt. I think you simply don't like Redknapp? The rest is a smokescreen isn't it?

Finally, like Sven at Leicester. It's not Redknapp that's spending his own money on players is it? It's Tony Fernandes.

If QPR don't go up, then more fool him for trusting Redknapp with his money. Exactly the same as more fool the Thais (back then) for trusting Sven with their money.

Football is about money these days I'm afraid. Man City haven't spent an awful lot THIS season, but that's on the back of spending many many many millions over the past few years. Chelsea... same....UTD..... same... etc etc etc.

The great thing about Nige is that the money is there, but he's not spent it..

He prefers to build a squad and good on him.

A couple of points:

1. The latest published wage bill from QPR was 78m for the 2012/13 season.  A season when they were in the Premiership.  78m is less than the average wage-bill of Premier League clubs (the average was 83m in 2011/12, I don't have the 2012/13 figure right now but can assume it is higher).  With aspirations to stay in the Premier League, they increased their wage-bill to a level to compete with other PL clubs.  They failed but their strategy was not as crazy as some people are making out, i.e. in order to compete in the PL, we need to spend roughly the same as other PL clubs.

2. The constant comparisons I see with Dortmund are just irrelevant. The Bundesliga's wages/revenue ratio is only around 50% due to their strict domestic club licensing regime put in place to constrains clubs’ costs. In 2011/12 the average wage costs for a Bundesliga club was €53m, compared with €102m (£83m) in the Premier League in which the wages/revenue ratio was 70%.

Guest Col city fan

A couple of points:

1. The latest published wage bill from QPR was 78m for the 2012/13 season. A season when they were in the Premiership. 78m is less than the average wage-bill of Premier League clubs (the average was 83m in 2011/12, I don't have the 2012/13 figure right now but can assume it is higher). With aspirations to stay in the Premier League, they increased their wage-bill to a level to compete with other PL clubs. They failed but their strategy was not as crazy as some people are making out, i.e. in order to compete in the PL, we need to spend roughly the same as other PL clubs.

2. The constant comparisons I see with Dortmund are just irrelevant. The Bundesliga's wages/revenue ratio is only around 50% due to their strict domestic club licensing regime put in place to constrains clubs’ costs. In 2011/12 the average wage costs for a Bundesliga club was €53m, compared with €102m (£83m) in the Premier League in which the wages/revenue ratio was 70%.

Daily Mail have said that Brighton have told Garcia to "sleep on it" regarding his resignation. 

I had strange feeling he'd go in the summer, he came across to me as if he looks stressed and under pressured.. Maybe he's finding the championship too difficult for him!?

Archived