Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

The Exams Thread

English language was pretty good. Anyone do the paper on Joe Calzaghe and Boxing?

Not being sexist, but It was pretty unfair on girls, "Write a letter to a friend who wants to take up boxing, if its a good idea or a bad idea"

Boys predominantly under-achieve in English... schools have been trying to raise attainment with those under-achieving boys for years... the (previous) government placed great emphasis on it as a target... exam papers increasingly feature 'boy-friendly' scenarios/texts... boys start to achieve better grades...............................................

Coincidence?! Hmmmm. :dunno:

Guest Mee-9

You got extra time? Bastard :P

Yeah I have extra time mate. Its alright having it, but i haven't really needed it before today :)

AS level?

If so, was the 12 marker the stress related illness question?

That's the one man. Screwed that question up a little (I could only remember the Kiecolt-Glaser study) but the rest went ok, I feel.

How did you find it?

To Leicester944 and lcfc "weasel", I didn't get that as my English question, I had to inform the council about concerns in our local town :protest:

Ps- What examining body were you on, I was on AQA so it may have been different :dunno:

To Leicester944 and lcfc "weasel", I didn't get that as my English question, I had to inform the council about concerns in our local town :protest:

Ps- What examining body were you on, I was on AQA so it may have been different :dunno:

WJEC for me, pissing Welsh, they're getting everywhere.

Condition of England by any chance?

Nope it was "Sixties Social Revolution?" The period between 1959-1975 in England.

Last exam is Statistics on June 18th. Did a mock today and it was ok...

Guest Mee-9

Yeah WJEC for me too.

Had maths paper two today, went okay. 4 exams left, spread out 2 each week.

Boys predominantly under-achieve in English... schools have been trying to raise attainment with those under-achieving boys for years... the (previous) government placed great emphasis on it as a target... exam papers increasingly feature 'boy-friendly' scenarios/texts... boys start to achieve better grades...............................................

Coincidence?! Hmmmm. :dunno:

I don't see how this is sexist at all really, the perecentage of boys who even watch boxing must be very low...

Surely the for and against points are universal knowledge, and the examiners will be looking at the writing styles and techniques more..

I don't see how this is sexist at all really, the perecentage of boys who even watch boxing must be very low...

Surely the for and against points are universal knowledge, and the examiners will be looking at the writing styles and techniques more..

Completely agree, it's all about being able to back up what you say, it does not really matter about what you're actually saying.

That's the one man. Screwed that question up a little (I could only remember the Kiecolt-Glaser study) but the rest went ok, I feel.

How did you find it?

Yeah I basically did Kiecolt Glaser as I had a lot of evaluation points revised for it, but I also did the General Adaptation Syndrome with Selye and his rats. My teacher said afterwards that Kiecolt Glaser was the way to go on it :)

I felt the paper was very good, there were lots of gimme marks. I didn't like the smoking social change question though.

I didn't say it was sexist. :rolleyes: My point, that you so spectacularly missed, is that exam papers (particularly for English exams) increasingly feature topics that deliberately seek to engage boys, in the hope that they will, in turn, achieve better grades. It's happening more and more across all levels of examinations - from KS2 SATS right up to degree level. Also, I think it's fair to say that, whilst the percentage of boys who watch boxing might be relatively low, it's significantly higher than the number of girls watching the sport.

I'm not even saying it's wrong that exam papers are designed that way... just that it's a very carefully planned strategy to raise under-achievement in boys.

Completely agree, it's all about being able to back up what you say, it does not really matter about what you're actually saying.

Hmmm, you keep telling yourself that. :blink:

I guess being able to string together a coherent sentence would be a good starting point, though.

Does anyone actually revise before exams, or do you blag your way through it like 9/10 of my GCSE exams last year? :crylaugh:

I did 0 revision for GCSE and eased it.

I did 0 revision for AS level (Take One) and dicked up the lot.

Second time round, I wouldn't say I've worked my socks off but I've put a little bit more in and it's improved.

I did 0 revision for GCSE and eased it.

I did 0 revision for AS level (Take One) and dicked up the lot.

Second time round, I wouldn't say I've worked my socks off but I've put a little bit more in and it's improved.

Pretty much my story :whistle:

Does anyone actually revise before exams, or do you blag your way through it like 9/10 of my GCSE exams last year? :crylaugh:

I'm doing my GCSEs now, doing little bits of revision for the subjects i want to take next year, and pretty much none whatsoever for everything else.

Not because I haven't planned to, there just always seems to be something better to do lol

Got the second history exam tomorrow- there is actually so much you have to remember :(

Loads of people at my school have already finished their GCSE's but i have 5 exams left!

Unlucky! Some of us doing A-Level only have three exams!

Been revising History today, must know all about Russia from the Tsars to Khruschev.

Got the second history exam tomorrow- there is actually so much you have to remember :(

Loads of people at my school have already finished their GCSE's but i have 5 exams left!

Apparently the second history exam is a lot easier than the first one so don't worry too much mate.

Guest Mee-9

Apparently the second history exam is a lot easier than the first one so don't worry too much mate.

Yeah I've got it tomorrow too. If your doing Medicine, then it's source analysis on Medicine in the middle ages. ;)

Finished my geography exam at 10:30, the 1 about the pre-release booklet, but then the teachers realised they had given me the foundation paper instead of the higher paper, so have just had to complete the exam again - this time the higher tier 1. Having to go back and do another exam made me well angry, and I've now missed the start of Holland v Denmark, but at least I missed no goals!

Archived