Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

The Exams Thread

Haha yep. Got a U in the summer as well so really did get everything.

The E was general studies so doesn't really count :P

Half way through A2 and sitting on ABD, need ABB for my first choice uni. Knuckle down and get some work done and it's achievable, hopefully. Fingers crossed!

My daughter failed her accountancy AS today, even though the teacher told us she was one of the better pupils. Now she wants to chuck the whole thing in, we're trying to talk her out of it. :(

My daughter failed her accountancy AS today, even though the teacher told us she was one of the better pupils. Now she wants to chuck the whole thing in, we're trying to talk her out of it. :(

Depends if she wants to jack it in because she failed or because she doesn't enjoy it and that is why she failed. Accountancy is a very profitable career path but bloody hard work and (in my opinion) really dull. If she has just done her AS level she is 16/17 I take it, so if she wants to be an accountant she has another 7-8 years of studying and hard work before she is fully qualified and even then it is high pressure competitive job and not one I would reccommend to anyone.

I'm not sure how the whole AS/A level thing works now, does she have to elect two AS levels to continue and 2 to drop? Unless she has a specific career path in mind in my opinion it is better to get good grades, do something that motivates and interests you at uni, most jobs only care that you have a degree rather than what it is in, and if after Uni she wants to be an accountant all that matters is that she has a degree, not what the degree is in.

I don't think she knows what she wants to do. She wanted to be an accountant a year ago now she's not sure. If she packs it in now that's a year wasted.

We just want her to get some professional qualifications so she doesn't end up in a dead end job like her mother and me.

I don't think she knows what she wants to do. She wanted to be an accountant a year ago now she's not sure. If she packs it in now that's a year wasted.

We just want her to get some professional qualifications so she doesn't end up in a dead end job like her mother and me.

None of the accountants I know did anything accountancy based at university or before so she really does have another 3-4 years before she has to make that decision. Just by having a degree so many more doors are open to you, even if it is something that has no relevance to your chosen profession. If anything doing an accountancy degree limits your options as it is a really tough degree and if you don't become an accountant afterwards it is essentially a waste of time. Accountantcy firms will take on anyone who has a degree and having a 1st in history will give her a better chance than a 2:1 in Maths.

Spending 3 years at uni doing something I wasn't that interested in is something I regret, I chose to do business studies ahead of things that interested me because I thought it would give me a better chance of a job after, but I lost interest and pissed around the whole time, skipped lectures and didn't apply myself. In the end I got a degree but I could so easily have got a better one.

ref.S083848V

None of the accountants I know did anything accountancy based at university or before so she really does have another 3-4 years before she has to make that decision. Just by having a degree so many more doors are open to you, even if it is something that has no relevance to your chosen profession. If anything doing an accountancy degree limits your options as it is a really tough degree and if you don't become an accountant afterwards it is essentially a waste of time. Accountantcy firms will take on anyone who has a degree and having a 1st in history will give her a better chance than a 2:1 in Maths.

Spending 3 years at uni doing something I wasn't that interested in is something I regret, I chose to do business studies ahead of things that interested me because I thought it would give me a better chance of a job after, but I lost interest and pissed around the whole time, skipped lectures and didn't apply myself. In the end I got a degree but I could so easily have got a better one.

:thumbup:

It'll all work out in the end I suppose, we're just a bit shocked because we were told she was doing well.

:thumbup:

It'll all work out in the end I suppose, we're just a bit shocked because we were told she was doing well.

Maybe she just had an off day or was too stressed out on the day of the exam? When I did AS statistics a couple of years ago my teacher kept telling me that I would easily get an A grade and in all the practice papers I was achieving 90% but in the three exams I did over the year I only managed to get C, E, E. My nerve just go down the drain whenever I go near an exam hall.

Borderline B in History :/ but happy with the rest: 4 solid A's in Maths: C1, C2 and S1, and Economics1... need to work for an A* in C3 and C4 now!

Saw the Queen leave Leicester at my college too, to cap the day off!

• 2 months later...

Completed my first year of uni now.

time goes too quickly.

Absolutely mental isn't it, can't believe freshers was 7/8 months ago, mad!

To anyone going to uni next year, make the most of being a fresher, you'll have the year of your life!

Absolutely mental isn't it, can't believe freshers was 7/8 months ago, mad!

To anyone going to uni next year, make the most of being a fresher, you'll have the year of your life!

It is - now I actually have to organise a freshers fair stall and event.

• 2 weeks later...

There's me coming in here looking for stressed out teenagers, and found that. Holy fvck i'm stressed! 3 weeks time and i'm stress free, hopefully get into uni!

• 3 weeks later...

Finished today with a bloody killer of a three hour French exam. Delightful. England playing later and I'm going to get smashed every day for the next week.

:beer: :beer: :dance::yahoo::jump::celebrate::cheers: :cheers:

Finished today with a bloody killer of a three hour French exam. Delightful. England playing later and I'm going to get smashed every day for the next week.

:beer: :beer: :dance::yahoo::jump::celebrate::cheers: :cheers:

Congratulations, the hard work begins in uni next year depending on what course you do lol

Archived