Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

The Exams Thread

For anybody that goes to university and does philosophy avoid doing any modules in logic. It's a load of bull and I'm pretty sure I failed my exam the other day. I am in no way bitter.

lol you doing philosophy as well then mate? What year? Contemporary philosophy is the bitch for me, hate it! Rest of it's all fairly interesting though.

I've just received my daughters result from her 1st GCSE maths exam, unit 2 foundation tier.

She got 49 out of 66 which would of been a C grade, but as the exam board have significantly increased the the mark needed to 53 from 41 after she took the exam, but before they marked them she received a D grade.

I, the school and probably many other parents are fuming as we've only just been told of the increase. This is very unfair. :@

Everybody else in the same boat??

Does seem rather steep but grade boundaries fluctuate for every exam, which will be the excuse from the exam board. Apparently a lot of the A level exams are asking strange questions which are loosely based on the spec but not what you'd expect which seems to have stumped many. It appears Gove will get his way any way he and the exam boards can

For anybody that goes to university and does philosophy avoid doing any modules in logic. It's a load of bull and I'm pretty sure I failed my exam the other day. I am in no way bitter.

You should the logic courses on a Computer Science degree. :ph34r::sweating::blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Biology unit 2 exam tomorrow and I'm feeling ill at the moment. If you're ill for an exam what normally happens? And the same for being late, as my bus is always late for school in the snow

Unless you're too ill to go anywhere, and can produce a doctor's note, you'll have to suck it up and take the exam. As for being late - get an earlier bus, being late is not an excuse in the eyes of the exam board, if you're late you won't be allowed to take it.

Unless you're too ill to go anywhere, and can produce a doctor's note, you'll have to suck it up and take the exam. As for being late - get an earlier bus, being late is not an excuse in the eyes of the exam board, if you're late you won't be allowed to take it.

I get the school bus, exams at 9, bus normally gets there at 8.30 but got there at 8.50 today because of the snow. Hopefully won't be any more snowfall tonight/roads iceing over.

If you're too ill for the exam do you just do it in summer when everyone does unit 3?

Doing s3 tomorrow. Had s2 last year and got an A. Thought it was difficult as well but you never know until the grade boundaries are out

Everyone I spoke to said they found it difficult so I'd imagine the boundaries will be lower than usual, I did feel it was harder than many of the past papers I'd done - thought the questions were quite creative and didn't stick to the standard format very much. Still think I'll have got an A though but it might be close.

Anyway, hope you do well in your S3, I won't be doing it but just out of interest what kind of stuff is on the syllabus?

Everyone I spoke to said they found it difficult so I'd imagine the boundaries will be lower than usual, I did feel it was harder than many of the past papers I'd done - thought the questions were quite creative and didn't stick to the standard format very much. Still think I'll have got an A though but it might be close.

Anyway, hope you do well in your S3, I won't be doing it but just out of interest what kind of stuff is on the syllabus?

Whats the typical syllabus on yours. Mines got normal dist, regression line, PMCC,contigency tables etc

Whats the typical syllabus on yours. Mines got normal dist, regression line, PMCC,contigency tables etc

That sounds very similar to my S1 syllabus. S2 involved binomial and poisson distributions and their approximations. Hypothesis testing is in there as well as is continuous random variables including uniform distributions.

Did my biology unit 2 today! Unit 1 was easy, but now they've made the exam harder and my teacher said some of those questions would be in an A Level paper. Osmosis and Diffusion was in a unit 2 paper when they're supposed to be Unit 3? WTF

Did my biology unit 2 today! Unit 1 was easy, but now they've made the exam harder and my teacher said some of those questions would be in an A Level paper. Osmosis and Diffusion was in a unit 2 paper when they're supposed to be Unit 3? WTF

Sounds like they've tried to create an equilibrium between units 2 and 3.

:tumbleweed:

Finished Uni exams for now. 4 modules revised in a total of 5 days and still felt fairly comfortable, I reckon 2:1 across the board hopefully, not too shoddy, need a 2:1 to stay on the Masters for the first year too and with some more revision could have had firsts.. we'll see.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished Uni exams for now. 4 modules revised in a total of 5 days and still felt fairly comfortable, I reckon 2:1 across the board hopefully, not too shoddy, need a 2:1 to stay on the Masters for the first year too and with some more revision could have had firsts.. we'll see.

I was bang on too! haha Got a first in one and 2:1 in the rest. Time to work properly now.

Archived