Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

The Exams Thread

Yeah I hated the place. Campus was too big and there was no atmosphere or anything. Been to Birmingham since and that really shows how good a campus can be

It seemed very dull to me, though it was back at the start of March.

Might be in a decent position to help you here! Did Business management at newcastle for a year and absolutely hated it. My accommodation didn't help but the course was terrible. So amateur and the teaching was really poor. Also the type of people who did management there seemed to be quite unfriendly. Nobody spoke to each other in lectures which was bizarre.

Switched to do my second year in Sheffield and it's been so much better. Accommodation and student experience voted best in the UK and had no problems with the course whatsoever apart from this essay I've just done. So glad I made the decision to leave and would recommend the place to anyone.

Oh and it's a lot easier having a season ticket in Sheffield than it is in Newcastle! Some serious journeys were done haha

Oh thanks a lot mate, that's really helpful. I'm not overly keen on it but my dad went there to do agricultural economics and its mainly his decision, not sure personally as it is probably too far for me.

I got a C in English language at GCSE due to some balls up in the marking, even two of my teachers reckon it should have got at least an A, which is holding me back since most unis want at least a B. The good thing with Newcastle is that they will accept the C, although quite a lot of good Universities i've looked at will perhaps discount it if you do English at A Level which I do, however i'm not completely sure.

Sheffield looks good to me, not too far away from home and the course looks great. Can you tell me anything else about it?

Wouldn't want to go to Nottingham as it's my home city and would prefer to live in a different city.

Oh thanks a lot mate, that's really helpful. I'm not overly keen on it but my dad went there to do agricultural economics and its mainly his decision, not sure personally as it is probably too far for me.

I got a C in English language at GCSE due to some balls up in the marking, even two of my teachers reckon it should have got at least an A, which is holding me back since most unis want at least a B. The good thing with Newcastle is that they will accept the C, although quite a lot of good Universities i've looked at will perhaps discount it if you do English at A Level which I do, however i'm not completely sure.

Sheffield looks good to me, not too far away from home and the course looks great. Can you tell me anything else about it? Wouldn't want to go to Nottingham as it's my home city and would prefer to live in a different city.

Yeah I can only compare it to Newcastle and York to some extent as I live near the uni and know the nightlife.

Though people go on about how good the nightlife is in Newcastle, I find Sheffield much better. Newcastle seems full of MIC pricks, whereas Sheffield seems like more normal people and there are different clubs for different tastes. York's nightlife is terrible.

If you're into playing football the sports centre with 5-a-side pitches is very close to the accommodation in sheff. You have yo get a tram costing about £3.50 return each time you go to Newcastle sports centre.

Newcastle is in the City centre and most of the accommodation is nearby. Sheffield is about 2 miles out from the city which is an arse for getting back from nights out and to the station. Taxis seem to be very pricey. Bus is cheap in the daytime though. The hills in Sheffield are a killer on my bike though.

It's ****ing freezing in Newcastle and it doesn't stop raining in Sheffield...

You can get a half decent haircut in Sheffield for £3.99. Pints are about a quid cheaper in Newcastle.

The girls in Sheffield seem a lot better than in Newcastle.

Hallam is a few miles from uni of so you might get a completely different experience there.

Anything I haven't covered feel free to ask! I enjoy it so much I'm going to do a 2 year masters in law straight after I finish the degree.

Yeah I can only compare it to Newcastle and York to some extent as I live near the uni and know the nightlife.

Though people go on about how good the nightlife is in Newcastle, I find Sheffield much better. Newcastle seems full of MIC pricks, whereas Sheffield seems like more normal people and there are different clubs for different tastes. York's nightlife is terrible.

If you're into playing football the sports centre with 5-a-side pitches is very close to the accommodation in sheff. You have yo get a tram costing about £3.50 return each time you go to Newcastle sports centre.

Newcastle is in the City centre and most of the accommodation is nearby. Sheffield is about 2 miles out from the city which is an arse for getting back from nights out and to the station. Taxis seem to be very pricey. Bus is cheap in the daytime though. The hills in Sheffield are a killer on my bike though.

It's ****ing freezing in Newcastle and it doesn't stop raining in Sheffield...

You can get a half decent haircut in Sheffield for £3.99. Pints are about a quid cheaper in Newcastle.

The girls in Sheffield seem a lot better than in Newcastle.

Hallam is a few miles from uni of so you might get a completely different experience there.

Anything I haven't covered feel free to ask! I enjoy it so much I'm going to do a 2 year masters in law straight after I finish the degree.

Sounds good mate, thank you. Either Sheffield or Manchester hopefully.

Guest Kopfkino

Decent pal, hopefully done enough to get a B, you?

Haha, 20 mate. Doing A levels again 'cause I pissed about first time and got shit grades  lol

Yeah it went alright, probably should have gone bether.

I could not be arsed doing a levels at the age of 20

Haha, 20 mate. Doing A levels again 'cause I pissed about first time and got shit grades  lol

i was gonna say i was sure there was no way you were younger than me. 

don't think i could be arsed doing a levels again now though haha. 

Got a 3 hour 15 mins law exam next Tuesday which I am not looking forward to.

Also just got feedback on a reflective essay I did a few weeks ago and got 58. My average has been 76 so far this year. The feedback is ****ing useless - about three sentences long included how I made spelling, typing, and grammatical errors in the essay. I made none and there two grammatical errors in the bloody feedback!

Honestly some of the people marking work at these places are terrible. I showed my Dad who is a professor and he cannot understand how it got such a low grade. It shouldn't make too much difference but it really does piss me off.

Don't get me started on how corrupt university is. Marking is pot luck. Courseworks are the same every year, people copy from years before yet marks are a lot less or considerably higher... feedback non-existent and when you challenge them they don't like it. Unless you lick balls you won't get the top top marks. 

Newcastle for an open day?! That's a trek lol

I only did one open day, that was Nottingham just to get a feeling for uni and go to one I hadn't already been to. Didn't have any interest in going, you must have some serious interest in Newcastle to do that

Nah, open days are really helpful. In my mind, I had Warwick as a first choice due to it's reputation. Visited the place and hated it, department seemed really bland and the campus and student life seemed dull. Sheffield in comparison I liked more than I expected too but in the end had my mind set on Loughborough. Had I not gone to any open days, I'd probably be at Warwick right now, wish I had tbh lol

Got a 3 hour 15 mins law exam next Tuesday which I am not looking forward to.

Also just got feedback on a reflective essay I did a few weeks ago and got 58. My average has been 76 so far this year. The feedback is ****ing useless - about three sentences long included how I made spelling, typing, and grammatical errors in the essay. I made none and there two grammatical errors in the bloody feedback!

Honestly some of the people marking work at these places are terrible. I showed my Dad who is a professor and he cannot understand how it got such a low grade. It shouldn't make too much difference but it really does piss me off.

Exact same thing happened with me. I got 57 though, well disappointed with it. We had to write about a product we want to make for our final year project and I honestly thought mine was decent enough.

Apparently not.

The feedback was shite and I was so close to emailing her back though I haven't done it (yet). She said "it was far too personal", well what does she expect it's my project ffs.

Don't get me started on how corrupt university is. Marking is pot luck. Courseworks are the same every year, people copy from years before yet marks are a lot less or considerably higher... feedback non-existent and when you challenge them they don't like it. Unless you lick balls you won't get the top top marks. 

Yep, It's good having a Dad who knows the system inside out and how bad some of the marking is. One of the problems is that you get PHD students marking a lot of work when they really don't have a clue what they're doing. It's also very very difficult to question your mark at all. It's not like you can send it to get remarked like you can at A-Level.

This was only 20% of a module but the feedback is utterly bizarre. It's like they've skimmed it over and put a generic comment on. I've emailed the lecturer who didn't mark it so we'll see what happens.

Exact same thing happened with me. I got 57 though, well disappointed with it. We had to write about a product we want to make for our final year project and I honestly thought mine was decent enough.

Apparently not.

The feedback was shite and I was so close to emailing her back though I haven't done it (yet). She said "it was far too personal", well what does she expect it's my project ffs.

Yep. So frustrating. Getting marks in the 50s will absolutely kill me if the same happened next year. Sheffield is weighted 2/3 in final year. One poor module can massively mess you up.

Decent pal, hopefully done enough to get a B, you?

Haha, 20 mate. Doing A levels again 'cause I pissed about first time and got shit grades lol

Do your mates take the piss? Fair play for doing it again

• 2 months later...
Guest Kopfkino

Get my A2s tomorrow and well I'm dreading. I know I haven't got what I need for my firm and I'm struggling to find the enthusiasm to go anywhere else

Get my A2s tomorrow and well I'm dreading. I know I haven't got what I need for my firm and I'm struggling to find the enthusiasm to go anywhere else

Don't go if your heart's not in it mate. 3/4 years, 30/40k of debt to live in a shit hole with a bunch of melts studying something you don't really enjoy somewhere like Huddersfield. There's better options, for sure.

Archived