Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Fox 92

Considering having a go at applying for the ATC corps, Fox92?

I've always fancied ATC. I had an interview at RAF years ago but never went through with it.

Not sure really, I mean, I'm at uni at the minute anyway!

Fox92- try it on easy first. I had a couple of hours on that setting at Heathrow. Not yet tried the normal setting

Ahh, that's why probably. I'll try that.

Had a look at ATC a few years back when I was thinking about careers. The pay is good but the job itself seems to have that paradoxical double whammy of being both very dull and repetitive yet also extremely stressful. But my main concern was more around longevity since you'd expect computers to take over one day.

Had a look at ATC a few years back when I was thinking about careers. The pay is good but the job itself seems to have that paradoxical double whammy of being both very dull and repetitive yet also extremely stressful. But my main concern was more around longevity since you'd expect computers to take over one day.

I personally wouldn't say it's dull because I love aircraft (both commercial and RAF) but, yeah I agree it's stressful although I imagine the training is intense for you to reach that top level.

Towers are dominated by computers, but it's still human's that make the key decisions.

What do they do?

It must be about the time I can reapply again I'd have thought.

Fox92- try it on easy first. I had a couple of hours on that setting at Heathrow. Not yet tried the normal setting

I've always fancied ATC. I had an interview at RAF years ago but never went through with it.

Not sure really, I mean, I'm at uni at the minute anyway!

Ahh, that's why probably. I'll try that.

I've applied for ATC twice - actually got to the final stage earlier this year but goofed one of the computer tests. Their selection process is very, VERY rigorous - as you might expect. You have to be able to solve pretty complex spatial and diagrammatical problems, and more to the point do it really, really fast.

As far as I can tell about the job itself, repetitive and stressful sounds about right, but personally I wouldn't mind the repetition and the pay is unreal once you get your 'own console'. I think humans are always going to be needed for such things, purely because of the amount of importance involved in the job, and the fact that situations would arise that would still require human judgement to solve.

Briefly for anyone unsure, you need to click on the aircraft you want to control. Then hit space bar, then type the letter 'c' then another space. You can then either ask it to alter altitude by pressing a number and then hitting 'enter', or change its direction by giving it a heading in degrees using 3 digits. To land a plane get it inline with the runway and on 3000ft or less and click on the plane. Then hit 'L' and 'space' and then the runway number you want to land on '27L' for example.

The tutorial is crap.

I managed it on the 'normal' level for about an hour without having any problems. Then two planes crashed lol

Why would you want to be an ATC, haven't you seen Breaking bad? :/

Never seen it, no.

I've always fancied it. One of my late Grandad's was a controller for about 30 years.

I suppose if you aren't interested in aviation etc then it doesn't appeal to you?

Archived