Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AoWW

Backing up data / external drives

Can anyone give advice on how to backup files from my laptops (1 x Vista, 1 x Windows 8) on a regular basis (eg weekly) so any new files, or previous ones that have since been updated, are stored onto an external drive? Is there a program that enables this? I don't mind manually plugging in the drive and hitting 'run' but I don't want to have to physically sort through which files to add each time or keep hitting the 'overwrite older file' (or whatever it says) option. 

I think that makes sense?! :unsure:

Also, any recommendations for an external drive - probably 2tb?

Depends how much memory the files will take up, but potentially just get a cloud.

Arrrgghhhhh! th_suicide-7.gif

(Sorry, not your fault, just the whole 'cloud thing' is driving me nuts at the moment. I agree it has its place, and I do use one, but I don't want to rely on storing everything in one!)

Norton Ghost isnt too bad for backing up.  Im not sure about it backing up only files which have changed etc.  But it does a good "mirror" of your drive.  I use it and it works fine.

2TB hard drives are cheap these days.  I not long bought one that was 70 quid from PC world.  Only potential issue is if your PC only has USB 2.0 ports.  Its a looooong old backup process

When it comes to harddrives, you might want to take a look at SSD drives. They no longer have spinning parts and are more reliable and durable than previous, regular models.

The only downside is that they're more expensive.

Also, just like kristianity77 has mentioned, depending on what connection/cable you use (f.eg. USB 2.0, USB 3.0, Firewire, ThunderBolt with Macs) the speed of your data transfer can vary quite a bit. Depending on the total amount of data, you're looking at between a few hours and half a day/a day or even longer for the initial, full data transfer.

I suppose the time is cut considerably once it only needs to do additional backups from there.

Arrrgghhhhh! th_suicide-7.gif

(Sorry, not your fault, just the whole 'cloud thing' is driving me nuts at the moment. I agree it has its place, and I do use one, but I don't want to rely on storing everything in one!)

Cos the government might find out. :)

Norton Ghost isnt too bad for backing up.  Im not sure about it backing up only files which have changed etc.  But it does a good "mirror" of your drive.  I use it and it works fine.

2TB hard drives are cheap these days.  I not long bought one that was 70 quid from PC world.  Only potential issue is if your PC only has USB 2.0 ports.  Its a looooong old backup process

I just do it over night - its rarely a very urgent thing is it?

Here's my £0.02 - avoid Seagate. 

• 1 year later...

Archived