Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilbo

Bees

About a week ago I noticed a few Bumble Bees swarming around my bedroom window. I then saw that the were crawling in and out of the gap between the guttering/ledge. Now there about 15 bees constantly flying around. I looked on my local district council website but they won't do anything for bees like many pest control places.

Any advice/similar experiences?

Are you sure they're bees, if they are they're probably rogue ones as bees don't generally take up residence in houses, you could try contacting a local bee keeper.

Probably solitary bees. Leave them alone and they will be gone in a few weeks. They are completely harmless (probably won't/don't sting at all). If they are a real problem there are ways to relocate them (killing them is illegal)

Are you sure they're bees, if they are they're probably rogue ones as bees don't generally take up residence in houses, you could try contacting a local bee keeper.

You're talking honey bees - I think these are Solitary bees.

About a week ago I noticed a few Bumble Bees swarming around my bedroom window. I then saw that the were crawling in and out of the gap between the guttering/ledge. Now there about 15 bees constantly flying around. I looked on my local district council website but they won't do anything for bees like many pest control places.

Any advice/similar experiences?

I had a Honey Bees in the wall cavity next to the front door last year. I plugged the hole up with wet tissue paper (at night when they were asleep :ph34r: ). I love bees and I was quite upset about doing it but it had to be done.

You need to block the entrance.

EDIT: Bumble Bees wont cause any problems and should be left alone.

Yeah definitely Bumble Bees (orange back, white tail). Ordinarily I would just ignore them however it's boiling at the minute but we can't open the windows without one of them finding their way in and our cat thinks they are to be played with and has been stung on her face! The noise is irritating too.

I had a Honey Bees in the wall cavity next to the front door last year. I plugged the hole up with wet tissue paper (at night when they were asleep :ph34r: ). I love bees and I was quite upset about doing it but it had to be done.

You need to block the entrance.

EDIT: Bumble Bees wont cause any problems and should be left alone.

That sounds like a good way to make them really angry and look for another way out .

Possibly into the house interior.  :D

i tried to block some ants who were outside and the little buggers all found a way out and came into the kitchen . i nearly filled a hoover bag trying to suck them all out .

We have bumble bees around our house and garden. Just leave them, they are only an issue if you got to or harm the nest, or them. Otherwise they just leave you bee :P

EDIT: You are very lucky if you have found a bumblebee nest - many people have them in their gardens, but not many people ever come to realise it!

Bumblebees thankfully are not at all aggressive and only rarely sting when handled roughly. They might get aggravated if you interfere with the nest itself, but not if you're just passing by. They don't swarm and certainly don't 'attack' like wasps or honey bees. They should just get on with life and do their own thing - doing a wonderful job of pollinating plants, wildflowers and your vegetables. Even the very largest nests produce very little "traffic" in and out, so you won't see threatening numbers of bees at any point during the summer.

The colony only lasts one summer - it will have finished by September/October at the latest (quite possibly much earlier) and all of the bees will have gone. It is possible (although not particularly likely) that a different bumblebee queen will find and use the same hole next year.

If the bees are living under your shed, and are coming up through holes in the floor, then this is probably because it's the easiest way in and out for them. If you make a different hole, from the outside of the shed, and then block up the hole they were using, then they should happily take to their new route.

Read the section below if you would like to remove the nest. Please note that we do not move colonies ourselves. http://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/faqs/#row7

Sounds like you've got a nest. We've the same problem at the mo. The neighbour last year could hear them outside our house whilst she was in her lounge. Problem is I daren't go in the loft to check.

My nana had some in her chimney last year. Pest controller sorted it one way or another.

I know they're harmless in comparison to wasps but they scare the shit out of me all the same

Good luck to them in their quest to get food from plastic flowers  :D

The ex mother in law always used to wear flowery frocks and Carmen Miranda style hats  . 
I should have tried to flush a nest of bees out while she was around  :P

077_zps29736347.jpg

033_zps558dd9bb.jpg

074_zps541aff00.jpg

032_zpsc228e33a.jpg

There seems to be a few people on here who know a bit about this kind of thing?

I live next to an old pub, that is now a curry house.  One side of my garden is a 30 ft high wall that is the rear of the curry house.  About 10 ft up the wall is an exposed joist.  Last year & this year there are bees living in a small gap above the joist.  Despite there being thousands of them I haven't been too worried about being stung.....they tend to get on with whatever they're doing & leave us alone.

The last picture posted is from today - they reappeared a couple of days ago.  The other pictures are from last year & it was pretty crazy.  I only witnessed it once, but one sunny afternoon they lost their fvcking minds & there was a huge swarm flying everywhere.  It lasted for about 20 minutes & you couldn't possibly have gone outside.  They aren't a massive problem but I would rather them not have them there.  I've told the owner of the curry house & as long as they stay out of his restaurant he couldn't give a toss.

The biggest ballache is when they start dying off.  The garden is full of dead bees.  I have to sweep every day & I cut the grass just to collect all the dead bees.

Does anyone know what they are?  I have heard of masonry bees & maybe that's what they are?  I've done a bit of research but I can't quite tell what they are.  Our local district council have a pest controller but they charge a fair whack to come out & I tend to think that it's the curry house that should be paying - as they are living in his building.

Does anybody here know what they are?  What I can do about it?  Who's responsible for getting rid of them?

They certainly look like honey bees. I would be inclined to find a local bee keeper, and obtain his advice.

As these are bees, and not wasps, there will be a reluctance to destroy them. There is no legal obligation on the curry house, to bear any responsability

I read a few days ago, that bees will swarm a certain type of tree, (forgotten it's name) and wonder if there are any close to you.

Again, try and find a local bee keeper. Good luck.

There seems to be a few people on here who know a bit about this kind of thing?

I live next to an old pub, that is now a curry house.  One side of my garden is a 30 ft high wall that is the rear of the curry house.  About 10 ft up the wall is an exposed joist.  Last year & this year there are bees living in a small gap above the joist.  Despite there being thousands of them I haven't been too worried about being stung.....they tend to get on with whatever they're doing & leave us alone.

The last picture posted is from today - they reappeared a couple of days ago.  The other pictures are from last year & it was pretty crazy.  I only witnessed it once, but one sunny afternoon they lost their fvcking minds & there was a huge swarm flying everywhere.  It lasted for about 20 minutes & you couldn't possibly have gone outside.  They aren't a massive problem but I would rather them not have them there.  I've told the owner of the curry house & as long as they stay out of his restaurant he couldn't give a toss.

The biggest ballache is when they start dying off.  The garden is full of dead bees.  I have to sweep every day & I cut the grass just to collect all the dead bees.

Does anyone know what they are?  I have heard of masonry bees & maybe that's what they are?  I've done a bit of research but I can't quite tell what they are.  Our local district council have a pest controller but they charge a fair whack to come out & I tend to think that it's the curry house that should be paying - as they are living in his building.

Does anybody here know what they are?  What I can do about it?  Who's responsible for getting rid of them?

Have you asked your naan?  :D

.... They are honey bees, mate. 

Sounds more like a masonry bee to me.Can sting and no honey.

Masonry bees are solitary. I used to get them in drill holes in my brick out house but i`v not had any for the last 2 years (due to the weather I think).

I used to love watching them and knew where some of them had been for the mud they were collecting to bung up the hole by the colour of it, some used to get a grey mud that could only be from a now waterlogged old clay pit about half a mile away from me.  :)

They certainly look like honey bees. I would be inclined to find a local bee keeper, and obtain his advice.

As these are bees, and not wasps, there will be a reluctance to destroy them. There is no legal obligation on the curry house, to bear any responsability

I read a few days ago, that bees will swarm a certain type of tree, (forgotten it's name) and wonder if there are any close to you.

Again, try and find a local bee keeper. Good luck.

Cheers.  I live out in the sticks & there's trees everywhere.  There's a sycamore tree nearby & a load of weeping willows on the front of the house.  The thing is, my garden is crammed with flowers of all kinds.........they don't go anywhere near them.

I am reluctant to kill them. I have considered getting the ladder out in the winter & filling the gap with silicon but I don't know if that's just as bad?

It's quite annoying knowing that there is all that honey & I can't get anywhere near it!!

Local bee keepers may come and collect honey bees free of charge though their location can sometimes make that hard. As for bumble bees though they usually nest low down, under sheds and the like, I've seen more nests (all in the eaves/roof) then ever before this year, in fact about 5 in the last week. Not spotted any wasps this year though which are usually much more common. If they're not causing a problem leave them bee :D they will move on after a while but then go and block where they're getting in.

I blocked some off with broken bits of cane once which they chewed through to get under a shed, I then used small stones which they couldn't get through. If you do get rid you may need to get rid of the nest as they'll scent the honeycomb and come back.

I had another nest somewhere in my wall cavity. They were getting through some old mortar joints in the brickwork. It was nothing like the extent of your photos but there was definitely something there. I just repointed as many joints as possible as quickly as possible. I didnt give two hoots as to whether theyre honey bees or whatever. I am shit scared of them and do not want the bastards near me.

They used to get quite confused for the first couple of days as there was no access through to the cavity. They've disappeared completely now. Job done

Archived