Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilbo

Bees

When they swarm is probably the least likely time to be stung by Honey Bees because they pig out beforehand which makes it physically hard for them to actually sting.

I have a Bumlebee nest in the wall of my office next to the doorway and have never had an incident. 

Also our Honey Bees swarmed and sodded off 2 weeks ago much to the beekeepers annoyance, without stinging any of the public, and then on Friday they all came back. I think I overheard them saying they'd been to Stingapore.

I got stung a couple of weeks back trying to see if I could block them off for someone in the back eaves. The ****ers were in my face as they chased me down the ladders, I was on the front garden before they left me alone.

I got stung by a bee last week....

£10 for a jar of honey!

077_zps29736347.jpg

033_zps558dd9bb.jpg

074_zps541aff00.jpg

032_zpsc228e33a.jpg

There seems to be a few people on here who know a bit about this kind of thing?

I live next to an old pub, that is now a curry house.  One side of my garden is a 30 ft high wall that is the rear of the curry house.  About 10 ft up the wall is an exposed joist.  Last year & this year there are bees living in a small gap above the joist.  Despite there being thousands of them I haven't been too worried about being stung.....they tend to get on with whatever they're doing & leave us alone.

The last picture posted is from today - they reappeared a couple of days ago.  The other pictures are from last year & it was pretty crazy.  I only witnessed it once, but one sunny afternoon they lost their fvcking minds & there was a huge swarm flying everywhere.  It lasted for about 20 minutes & you couldn't possibly have gone outside.  They aren't a massive problem but I would rather them not have them there.  I've told the owner of the curry house & as long as they stay out of his restaurant he couldn't give a toss.

The biggest ballache is when they start dying off.  The garden is full of dead bees.  I have to sweep every day & I cut the grass just to collect all the dead bees.

Does anyone know what they are?  I have heard of masonry bees & maybe that's what they are?  I've done a bit of research but I can't quite tell what they are.  Our local district council have a pest controller but they charge a fair whack to come out & I tend to think that it's the curry house that should be paying - as they are living in his building.

Does anybody here know what they are?  What I can do about it?  Who's responsible for getting rid of them?

OK - these are different from the op's problem as these are definitely Honey Bees, in a swarm. A newly hatched queen will leave a colony and take a moderate number (possibly a few thousand) of bees with her, to mate with and build a new colony. The swarm in the pics you posted is in a really dodgy place - most beekeepers won't touch it as it is in a building/cavity. Normally a beekeeper will collect a swarm and take it away but it looks impossible in this situation (without doing some damage to the building). Try your local beekeepers for a start - they will advise you with local knowledge.

(I am a beekeeper by the way)

Jobs Done!

Raid-Fly--Wasp-Killer-Spray-162905.jpg?o

Cruel and illegal to use on bees... (OK, not strictly illegal,depending on species and method) but definitely cruel). Bees are excellent pollinators and we somewhat depend on them being around for a while longer if we want to continue eating....

Next time a few are swarming around me I'll try and remember that.

Not had any problems with them. Occasionally in good weather some appear or could be wasps. Annoying but they are solitary so one squashed swatted buzzer is not going to make a huge difference to the worlds food chain.

Next time a few are swarming around me I'll try and remember that.

Not had any problems with them. Occasionally in good weather some appear or could be wasps. Annoying but they are solitary so one squashed swatted buzzer is not going to make a huge difference to the worlds food chain.

Unless everybody has the same attitude ;)

I hate wasps. When I was young my future mother-in-law had a plum tree in her garden. While picking some, one got up my trouser leg and stung me twice. Painfully close to my tackle.

I remember going to Alton towers years ago. Standing in the hot sun queueing for hours, fighting off dozens of wasps - loads of people were stung.

Kill them! Kill them all! insects are the most adaptable creatures on earth and if we dont keep them at bay they will defoliate the earth, we'll all starve to death or die fighting over the last unopened tin of beans and then the insects will feast on our rotting corpses!

Several of them (bumble bees I think, fat and hairy) seem to have found my greenhouse today so I had them f company whilst I was watering my plants. Hopefully with their assistance my plants will do better now.

Had a nest in my garage a fe years ago and a beekeeper came and put it in a black bag tied the top up and put it in the satchel on the back of his cycle to take them away. Before he went he held the bag up to my face and said listen they're angry now. They were very loud and I was very pleased when he left as I imagined what would happen if the bag split as he stuffed it into the satchel on his bike. He was certainly a bit of a character.

Does anyone actually know of any beekeeper s in Leicester that take Bees nests away eve if they charge a fee? I heard tried Sysonby Knoll but they just said leave them alone blah, blah. I heard bees can be encouraged to move to another hive if its positioned near by.

Does anyone actually know of any beekeeper s in Leicester that take Bees nests away eve if they charge a fee? I heard tried Sysonby Knoll but they just said leave them alone blah, blah. I heard bees can be encouraged to move to another hive if its positioned near by.

But the ones you described are not honey bees so beekeepers will have zero interest in moving them. Beekeepers gladly take a swarm of honeybees as they are rehoused in one of their own hives, or united with another weaker colony thereby providing honey (eventually). Your Bees will only be around for 6-8 weeks. if you can tolerate them until they disappear, block up any holes they used and other similar holes nearby and they shouldn't come back. Just remember - they don't sting, or if they do it is a very mild sting and barely breaks the skin.

Cruel and illegal to use on bees... (OK, not strictly illegal,depending on species and method) but definitely cruel). Bees are excellent pollinators and we somewhat depend on them being around for a while longer if we want to continue eating....

Yeah right-o hippy

Archived