Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CupidStunt

PS3 capture card?

Hi Chaps

I just started a youtube channel, and wanted to take it further by getting my videos to be longer than the 2 mins the PS3 offers for free.I want HD quality, but read something about copyright issues with the PS3 meaning you cant use a HDMI?

What do i need?

Cheers

I don't know, but I have a few PSN mates who upload from PS3 to youtube, so try asking them (these are PSN names not youtube names):

- incredible-bulk

- sevenpanda 

- emilyketch

Alternatively wait till the PS4 comes out, I think it will be much simpler and without the need to buy extra hardware.

:thumbup:

How do you capture the 2 minutes free that PS3 offers? I've not noticed a setting for that.

you just go into theatre and watch the film, then hit record

then you need to render it and it uploads it automatically

you also need to link your ps3 with your youtube account

do you need to connect it direct to the PC when playing? as my PC is no where near the console

Yeh it needs to be connected to your pc to record via usb. you could get a longer cable but I'm not sure if it'll taint the performance if your not using the one that comes in the box.

Good thing about it is that it has its own capture card built into it, so it doesn't need the greatest pc ever to capture in full hd. I capture my gameplay on a 5 year old laptop and it records fine.

If your looking to get something that doesn't require a pc to record, you need to buy a full fledged dvr, which are quite pricey if you want one that supports HDMI, and you have no idea if it'll be compatible with the playstations video encryption or not.

One of the best things about the PVR 2 is that you can record from pretty much anything with an HDMI out (Although it uses component for PS3 due to it's encryption, but still supports HD resolutions), not many capture cards support recording from HDMI for that sort of price.

This is the sort of quality you get off the HD PVR 2 (just make sure you crank the quality up to 720P on the youtube vid) :-

Yeh it needs to be connected to your pc to record via usb. you could get a longer cable but I'm not sure if it'll taint the performance if your not using the one that comes in the box.

Good thing about it is that it has its own capture card built into it, so it doesn't need the greatest pc ever to capture in full hd. I capture my gameplay on a 5 year old laptop and it records fine.

If your looking to get something that doesn't require a pc to record, you need to buy a full fledged dvr, which are quite pricey if you want one that supports HDMI, and you have no idea if it'll be compatible with the playstations video encryption or not.

One of the best things about the PVR 2 is that you can record from pretty much anything with an HDMI out (Although it uses component for PS3 due to it's encryption, but still supports HD resolutions), not many capture cards support recording from HDMI for that sort of price.

This is the sort of quality you get off the HD PVR 2 (just make sure you crank the quality up to 720P on the youtube vid) :-

cheers, i might get that one then

I was thinkng about putting the PC in the same room anyhow

• 1 month later...

Still not got one of these, but going for the Elgato HD card.

If i wanted to record live with the microphone and do a live comms, do you use the headset? or is the set up different?

It depends if the software they give you with it supports live commentary or not. Might be worth going on their website and downloading it before you invest.

Archived