Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Sound Card

MrsG has an Audigy 2. ZS sound card in a desk top PC is anyone knowledgeable about this or similar sound cards.

We're not able to get out or put in anything to the card through the connections at the back of the PC.

We can get the Mic and speakers working through what i assume are the motherboard connections both front and back but I'm wondering why I've got this sound card if i can't connect to it.

Will the mother board be using it?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply Smudge.

The drivers are up to date.

to say i'm a little confused about this is card would be an understatement.

Am i correct in thinking the 'Standard' mic and head phone jack plugs at the front and back of the PC are from the built in sound card on the motherboard and the additional connectors sitting horizontally low down across the back of the pc are the Audigy sound card, they certainly match the layout as viewed on the installation instructions.

Nothing seems to happen or become available when we plug anything into this card.

Should it automatically over ride the inbuilt sound card.

Just to clarify this is a new pc that the supplier fitted our old Audigy sound card into. Also although we've had this card in a previous now defunct pc I'm not sure whether we actually ever used it.

Thanks for the reply Smudge.

The drivers are up to date.

to say i'm a little confused about this is card would be an understatement.

Am i correct in thinking the 'Standard' mic and head phone jack plugs at the front and back of the PC are from the built in sound card on the motherboard and the additional connectors sitting horizontally low down across the back of the pc are the Audigy sound card, they certainly match the layout as viewed on the installation instructions.

Nothing seems to happen or become available when we plug anything into this card.

Should it automatically over ride the inbuilt sound card.

Just to clarify this is a new pc that the supplier fitted our old Audigy sound card into. Also although we've had this card in a previous now defunct pc I'm not sure whether we actually ever used it.

The motherboard has several slots and the generic sound card is the default since you can use it. I think you'll have to select the default card for audio and voice.

Here's what I'd do: -

• Go to the "Sound & Audio Devices" section in your control panel and see if the Audigy is there, if so is it the default card? I'm not sure which Windows you have so I can't navigate you there. If it's the generic one disable it and enable your new card.
  • If that isn't the problem go to the Device manager in the System Hardware section and see if there' a questiion mark against the driver.
  • Failing that I'd contact Creative and have someone help you troubleshoot it.

Edit.

Don't forget to go back to the "Sound device" section and make sure the mic and speakers volumes etc. are set properly.

It's windows 7.

Just had a look at the Sound settings section and there are 3 options for playback

Speakers - creative audigy 2 as wdm.

Spidf out - creative etc.

Speakers - realtek high def audio' this is set as the default device.

It's windows 7.

Just had a look at the Sound settings section and there are 3 options for playback

Ok that is for the speakers, In windows 7 you'll need to look at the Device Manager follow these instructions

not resolved this in fact MrsG is so wound up by it I've removed the sound card from the unit.

Not that it's helped as everytime she changes from recording to using something like Skype it all changes and different set ups seem to work and then not work.

not resolved this in fact MrsG is so wound up by it I've removed the sound card from the unit.

Not that it's helped as everytime she changes from recording to using something like Skype it all changes and different set ups seem to work and then not work.

It can only be one of 3 things. The sound card is Donald Ducked, you don't have it selected as the default sound card or the driver needs to be uninstalled and a new one from here, installed.

In the end it's a very old card, if it means a lot for the G household, I'd break down and buy a new one that your bride will appreciate, you might get a happy ending :thumbup: .

It's windows 7.

It's probably a bit late now it's gone but I would expect the sound to start working from the card if you changed the default to 'speakers - creative audigy 2' (presuming it's speakers with a headphone style jack? If it's optical change the default to SPDIF). If it's recognised as a sound option then it sounds as though it's all set up fine with drivers, and is just not being used by the system. Often when I plug my laptop into my TV I have to manually change the default to the TV before it starts playing over that instead of the laptop speakers. Realtek high def audio is the software for the motherboard audio.

I have a feeling Skype selects its speakers and microphone independent of the system (which you can adjust in the options), which might be why setups are a bit different.

Tbh though most onboard audio is good enough these days that sound cards are pretty unnecessary for anyone besides audiophiles

Archived