Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MooseBreath

Apple wants your fingerprints

After a bit of searching, I found this on the Apple site:

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_Kingdom&product=iphone

Service arranged through Apple costs £ 55.00. A £ 7.44 shipping fee will be added if this service requires shipping. All fees are in British Pound Sterling and include VAT.

Not too bad - I thought it'd be a lot more extortionate than that to be honest. But if you're willing to take a bit more of a risk, there are plenty of websites that I found on Google who claim they can do it for about £30. Personally, I'd go down the official Apple route - more cover if anything goes wrong.

As an aside, I think this is possibly the worst thing about Apple devices and laptops - they make it extremely difficult for your average user to replace things like the battery or the screen, then they try and charge you an arm and a leg to do it for you.

Waterproof iPhone Advert: Users fooled.

A fake Apple advert claiming the new iOS 7 software makes iPhones and iPads waterproof has apparently fooled some users into destroying their devices.

The "advert" circulating on social media sites claims that updating devices with the operating system installs a "smart switch" that cuts off the phone's power supply when water is detected.

This, it claims, "prevents any damage to your iPhone's delicate circuitry".

The advert looks remarkably similar to an authentic Apple advertisement, with the same plain white background and minimalist font and style.

It seems some users have been fooled into dunking their expensive gadgets into water to test out the promised feature, only to render their devices useless.

One user wrote on Twitter: "Whoever said iOS 7 was waterproof **** you."

Another wrote: "OK whoever said iOS 7 is waterproof GO **** YOURSELF."

The prank idea is believed to have originally started on the controversial forum 4Chan.

The iOS 7 software was released last week, and is available as a free upgrade for newer models of the iPhone and iPad.

It provides a series of new features including an overhaul of the interface.

It was released at the same time as the new iPhone 5S and 5C models.

The 5S features a fingerprint unlocking device for extra security. However, a group of German hackers have found a way to bypass the measure.

The group, known as the Chaos Computer Club, say that a fingerprint of the phone user, photographed from a glass surface, is enough to create a fake latex finger that could unlock the phone.

Apple has not yet commented.

:crylaugh: Seriously, are people that thick to think new software makes something waterproof?

Interesting about the German hackers though.

Archived