Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

The Smiths

• 5 months later...
6 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

As well as being Johnny Marr''s birthday, This Charming Man is apparently 40 years old today, which I'm struggling to get my head around more than I should.

This means it's 31 years since I bought the re-release, which really doesn't feel very long ago

Was it the one with loads of different versions of this charming man as well as jeane/wonderful woman/accept yourself?.  

Edited by purpleronnie

28 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Was it the one with loads of different versions of this charming man as well as jeane/wonderful woman/accept yourself?.  

Aye, that's the bunny.

I was never arsed about being a release completist but I wanted to have all the recordings if that makes sense, and this helpfully filled some gaps.

They released There Is A Light That Never Goes out as a single not long after (Sandie Shaw on the cover) that had some other rarities on but I think that was the lot as I don't think they sold very well

Edit: they re-released How Soon Is Now as well as part of that series, but it was completely pointless as it didn't have any non album tracks as b sides

Edited by Bellend Sebastian
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
8 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Morrissey claiming today that he accepted an offer to tour as The Smiths next year but Johnny Marr ignored it. 

I don't blame him, I think it's a pretty shite idea, especially without Andy Rourke.

I'd love a Marr and Morrissey album though

Honestly if I put myself in Marr’s shoes, I don’t think I could ever work with him again even if they payday was ridiculous. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Morrissey claiming today that he accepted an offer to tour as The Smiths next year but Johnny Marr ignored it. 

I don't blame him, I think it's a pretty shite idea, especially without Andy Rourke.

Someone asked Marr on twitter and he just replied with an image of Nigel Farage lol 

46 minutes ago, Scanchez said:

I love The Smiths, and for that reason I would hate there to be a reunion.

The idea of reunions are awful because I never want to see something I like to make a fool of themselves. So to speak. When things are killed off at their peak just leave it that way.

I would hate, say, The Smiths or The Jam to get back together and thankfully they never will.

Though I don't actually listen to The Smiths as much as I once did. 

edit: I have edited my original post as I said "reunions are awful" which is not true per say as I am a big Blur fan and that's worked well.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Really? Are you sure that was official or he was being serious? 

17 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It would be without the entire rhythm section though, not just the bassist. The relationship between Morrissey and Mike Joyce is irreconcilable. So essentially it would be Morrissey/Marr, which will never happen anyway. 

33 minutes ago, SpacedX said:

Really? Are you sure that was official or he was being serious? 

It would be without the entire rhythm section though, not just the bassist. The relationship between Morrissey and Mike Joyce is irreconcilable. So essentially it would be Morrissey/Marr, which will never happen anyway. 

Well he said which promoter it was, which lent it a certain amount of credibility and they've both mentioned numerous times over the years that they've been offered silly amounts to do it, and I think it was in Marr's autobiography that it very nearly happened around 2008.

I've always had it down as highly unlikely, but you can never say never, can you? 

Economic factors come into it, surely? Oasis Knebworth tickets, inflation adjusted, would be about £43 today, and look at what they're actually charging for the tour next year. You've got to have pretty strong principles to turn that down, although I doubt it's that difficult for Johnny Marr in practice

2 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

and I think it was in Marr's autobiography that it very nearly happened around 2008.

They realised that they were only miles apart whilst working on Smiths remasters and arranged to meet in a pub in Manchester at which point the prospect of a reunion was broached. They pledged to keep in touch, Marr went on tour with the Cribs whilst Morrissey had the imminent release of 'Years of Refusal' to tour and promote. Life happened and the silence descended again. Since then they have been practically incommunicado - the open letter to Marr from Morrissey two years ago was perhaps the Parthian shot. 

Of course, there may well be covert communication that we are not aware of. 

On 30/08/2024 at 16:08, purpleronnie said:

I always think Morrissey has an ulterior motive when talking about such things.  He likes to elude to it being Marr that split the smiths, and now he can blame Marr again for no reunion.

He’s fallen out with so many people down the years, most notably Bowie and Sandie Shaw, band members like Spencer Cobrin and even blamed his support act Kristeen Young for giving him a cold and making him ill. 

I'm surprised anyone wants to work with him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Struggling to think of any incarnation of The Smiths they could put on stage that wouldn't be shite.

There's tons of good footage online now of them at their peak and there's no way on earth it would be remotely like that, is there?

Go and see a tribute band in a small venue.

I saw The Stone Roses at the arse end of their career and a Stone Roses tribute band around the same time at The Charlotte and the latter was about 10 times more fun. This is not a hot take, it wasn't even close

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Struggling to think of any incarnation of The Smiths they could put on stage that wouldn't be shite.

There's tons of good footage online now of them at their peak and there's no way on earth it would be remotely like that, is there?

But that's the point. Johnny Marr is perfectly happy in his own skin. He won't tour as The Smiths on his own and in so doing compromise his integrity and their history because he neither wants to nor needs to. 

40 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Go and see a tribute band in a small venue.

What? A tribute band can't substitute for 1980s Smiths. Paint by numbers, derivative dross like Oasis, 'definitely/maybe' (and would do it better than this current  farcical reunion). I grant you, many of these tribute acts nail it as musicians but it is artistically meaningless. 

The problem is, these days, touring is where the money is and this is tempting bands out of hiatus or retirement, destroying their legacy and often trading on the name, where key members are frequently absent of their choosing or deceased and replaced by makeshift hired musicians. Bands like the Smiths were inimitable and even original personnel very often struggles to recapture the essence of the band meaning that these nostalgia tours are a pale imitation of the past or an outright parody and might are about as relevant as the tribute bands that are often tighter and more professional. Either that, or the acrimony that tore them apart in the first place simmers underneath and eventually boils over onstage. Witness the recent debacle surrounding Jane's Addiction. Occasionally this tension can be the spark that reignites the old flame that made a band so special, but when you know that they are solely out there for the money, with the original potency gone, it's all somewhat sterile and flaccid.  

Edited by SpacedX

At this point I don't want to see any reunion whatsoever. Particularly now we've lost Andy Rourke. Just wouldn't be the same. 

Not to mention that Morrissey is a loon nowadays. 

Marr might have got the rights to the Smiths name but I doubt he'd ever use it as such to tour with. He'd get too much stick off the fans if he did. I doubt that's why he's done it any way. He probably did it just to stop Morrissey ever doing it. 

• Like 2