Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Col city fan

The 'Do you miss Uni'? Thread.

Uni is as good as what you put into it. If you think all students are wankers and only go out with your pre-uni mates then you'll probably not enjoy uni.

PSinatra has described how I felt below perfect. I made the effort, but it was like being out with kids who has escaped from home for the first time.

It's just that university life was not for me.  Definitely a 'fish out of water'.  It was like hanging around with 15 year olds, let out after dark for the first time.

PSinatra has described how I felt below perfect. I made the effort, but it was like being out with kids who has escaped from home for the first time.

I was nearly 23 when I started university.  That doesn't exactly make Oliver Reed, but I've got in a mess plenty of times, dabbled in a bit of this & that, a few scrapes here & there.  To being surrounded by virgins.

It weren't Sheffield was it?  You could have written that for me.

It bloody was, you know.

If I had my time again, I would quite like to have done history, but having not done it at GCSE or A level it wasn't on the agenda at the time.  The people I knew on the course generally seemed relatively at ease with life (emphasis on relatively) but it did look like hard work.

Much as I moan about work, I've always found it a far more satisfying existence.  I had more fun in 4 months at British Gas on De Montfort Street (my first post university job) than I did in 3 years on the course

I woke up this morning and God only knows why, started to daydream about my Uni days.

Don't be stupid, I thought, I'm now 45 and finished what... 20 odd years ago?

However, every so often, I still think back to mi Student times.

I was an 'Oxbridge Reject', having unsuccessfully applied to both Cambridge and Oxford. Being from a Comprehensive School background didn't help, neither did being as nervous as fook at interview.

So I went to 'Castle College' Durham... Reading Sociology/Psychology. To me it was an extension of a public school. Very tight knit, 'supper' taken in the Great Hall of the Castle and all that pretentious gubbins. Will Carling had just finished at Durham the year before.

But it was great fun... I was Captain of the College footy team (not the Uni first team, I wasn't good enough) and used to co-write a report of every game, taking the piss of certain players and bigging-up others.

I recall that the college had a 'Gentleman's club' where membership could only be sought if the Student personally owned a certain acreage of land! Or had a certain amount in Savings! They then used to meet up, once every month and wine and dine themselves in Durham City.... The pompous asses lol.

One of the best times was the Winter of 1989. There was lots of snow on 'Palace Green' (which separates Durham Cathedral from the Castle) and we decided to have a snowball fight with 'Hatfield College' (our arch rivals). It was clear that Hatfield were advancing over the Green, so we had to retreat back into the Castle and shut the Castle gates, which must have been 50 ft high.. The defences held out and Hatfield, knowing that there was no way in, retreated and probably went off to get pissed..

Good times really... Long gone now but the 'Yearbooks' and photo's remind me of some of the students I was with. I remember finding some frustrating, some very very funny and some inspiring..

Anyway, enough Nostalgia.. Who else did a stint at Uni, where did you go? Are you still there now?Have you any stories to tell? If so, let us know, if you want to...

Jesus christ you've missed out. 

Uni is literally going so fast... this time next year, my time will be over :cry:

Seriously though, I love living in Manchester. Place is brilliant, vibrant and always brings something different everyday.

It's a fuking doss hole! I will admit I am quite out spoken about the place though. 

It bloody was, you know.

If I had my time again, I would quite like to have done history, but having not done it at GCSE or A level it wasn't on the agenda at the time.  The people I knew on the course generally seemed relatively at ease with life (emphasis on relatively) but it did look like hard work.

Much as I moan about work, I've always found it a far more satisfying existence.  I had more fun in 4 months at British Gas on De Montfort Street (my first post university job) than I did in 3 years on the course

I graduated in 97.

& my first post-university job was at British Gas at DeMontfort Street, then Thames Tower & then sacked.

For the first couple of years there were a lot of lectures with big crowds of students.  I can't remember the subject, but we would have lectures in St. Georges church & it would be full.  There must have been over a hundred of us.  Fantastic location but dull.  Then those same 100+ would all be after the same books you need when it came to studying.  It was impossible.

I only really took an interest in American 20th Century history & I still do.  Cuban missile crisis, Civil Rights movement, Watergate - all that sort of thing.  Loved it.  The single most difficult subject was one about Japan following WW2 & how the US rebuilt their economy & stuff.  SE Asian politics & the Japanese language are not my strong point.  I seriously didn't have a clue what anyone was talking about at any point.

I lasted a couple of months at De Mont, was bored. Thank god I didn't move away to go, I'd have probably had to stick it out.

Didn't like the course, preferred drinking with own mates to the student types (who are in general know it all wankers).

If you had a better time at Uni than you do now you need to evaluate what you are doing and start putting a bit more effort into your social life.

Although this is a generalisation, it's not far off. I luckily found a close tight knit group of mates who stayed together for the full 3 years. If I hadn't of done, I don't think I'd have lasted. Near enough everyone else I met were such hard work to be around.

I'm really glad I went but delighted it's over as I much prefer my social and professional life now.

It is pretty much the ideal life. I was lucky in the fact that the majority of people in my halls were similar to me, loved football and beer.

Living with my best mates, control to do what I want, can't really get much better IMO. I'm at Trent and the ratio of boys to girls is unreal as well. As much as I'm gonna miss it when I finish this year, I sort of just wanna get my course done and see what the future holds for me.

EDIT: Also massively disagree with the assumption that students are all knowitalls. I've met a few twats in my 3 years here (I think that's to be expected though) but the majority of the people I've met have been down to earth and a good laugh.

I felt like a fish out of water pretty much from the word go.  I'd had this vague and romantic picture in my head that it would be full of bohemian radical types but on arrival it was all tucked in checked shirts and wet look hair (it was 1993, in fairness), and night after night of terrible lowest common denominator club nights and permanent drinking.

Like a twat I also said I wouldn't mind sharing a room, and it's very difficult to lock yourself away from everything that horrifies you if you end up doing that.

I didn't like the course - it was far too much like hard work, having not found my A levels especially taxing, and it was painfully obvious that the staff were far, far more interested in their own academic work than they were in the students.

I should have packed it in, but due to some strange sense of duty I stuck it out, at terrible cost to my mental health, but at the same time friendships were made that have endured, so it wasn't all bad.  Of course, everyone else had a lovely time (except the girl that went mad after a few weeks and was taken away in an ambulance never to return) so don't anyone let me put them off

Was it wrong that this made me laugh? :unsure:

Was it wrong that this made me laugh? :unsure:

Yes, and you're a terrible person.

Not really, even I can chuckle about it all now.  We had a deep fat fryer, for f***'s sake, how can anyone be truly unhappy in such a situation.

If I'd joined the band when asked and gone to the ball with Su then things would probably have been very different

I went to Plymouth and had a great time. I get some peoples comments about being surrounded by kids let out for the first time but there were enough people my own age to have a great 3 years and make some good friends. There were only 6 people on my course as well. Saw a lot and learned a lot but I'm too happy with where I am now to want to go back.

Trying to get a job in Plymouth after uni though was a nightmare. Don't want to go back there.

I'm going next year. I'll be 24 but I feel I've missed out and having a career in mind means I'll be doing something I really want to do rather than forcing myself into it like I would have at 18.

I absolutely cannot wait.

I have a 24 year old and a 26 year old in my lectures. Lived with an irish bird in halls last year who was 24.

Ages do vary, more than I thought before I went.

I was at DeMontfort Uni in the mid 90's... great laugh and lots of good times. I studied electrical engineering there and am toying with the idea of the Open University to study something completely different. No idea what though.

I'm going next year. I'll be 24 but I feel I've missed out and having a career in mind means I'll be doing something I really want to do rather than forcing myself into it like I would have at 18.

I absolutely cannot wait.

My mate has gone this year at 24 and is absolutely having the time of his life, and it will set him up for an actual career all being well.

I do

I went to Nottingham Trent uni 1993-1996 and it was just Raves, Partys, Drugs, Booze and loose women

Wish I could do it all again!!

Pretty much the same for me, but substitute Nottingham for Leeds...

Had 6 hours of lectures per week, the rest was just boozing and smoozing

I graduated in 97.

& my first post-university job was at British Gas at DeMontfort Street, then Thames Tower & then sacked.

For the first couple of years there were a lot of lectures with big crowds of students.  I can't remember the subject, but we would have lectures in St. Georges church & it would be full.  There must have been over a hundred of us.  Fantastic location but dull.  Then those same 100+ would all be after the same books you need when it came to studying.  It was impossible.

I only really took an interest in American 20th Century history & I still do.  Cuban missile crisis, Civil Rights movement, Watergate - all that sort of thing.  Loved it.  The single most difficult subject was one about Japan following WW2 & how the US rebuilt their economy & stuff.  SE Asian politics & the Japanese language are not my strong point.  I seriously didn't have a clue what anyone was talking about at any point.

It's weird to read what has been said about Sheffield, partly because it rings true, I graduated 2003, and the lecturers and, looking back the tutors were all shit and disinterested, which lead to me being disinterested in my course and doing the bare minimum to get by.

The other side of it was fantastic, and the 2 kind of went hand in hand, I was probably one of those "15 year olds that had been allowed out for the first time", I probably let the new found freedom get the better of me and I did piss a lot of it up the wall, but I made many great friends and the majority of my friends in the UK are connected to my time at Sheffield. Part of me wishes I had studied something more interesting (Maths and Business Studies) but at the time I didn't have the interests I do now, and taken advantage of some of the opportunities available to me in terms of extra curricular activities. 

But I don't regret any of it as I am pretty happy with my life right now.

I studied English and Communication at Leeds Uni and loved it. I wouldn't say I miss it but I have cried every day since I left.....and I left in 2003.

Uni was a massive eye-opener for me. My Dad is a mechanic and my mum worked for Boots and I was thrust into a world where kids were turning up to halls in convertible Bentley's and many of them even had BMWs and Mercs for everyday use. I felt hugely intimidated at first, partly because I'd only just scraped on to the course and secondly because I was surrounded by these kids from a completely different world. Luckily I met a few more street urchins like me and some of the rich kids were actually alright and ended up having a whale of a time. Uni is very much what you make of it IMHO.

Archived